very sick little one

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, Mar 9, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

:( i have a sick baby and need to get temp down any ideals

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

not enough info. what breed, how old, bottle feed, how is the poop.
    only to mention a few questions
    susanne

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

What are the other symptoms? Eating or not? Laying down or still up and just weak? When was it born? When was it last dewormed? Did it get it's colostrum right away?

Depending on the answers, antibiotics, probiotics, possible tubing of goat serum concentrate or just milk!, de-worming meds, vitamins, etc, etc, etc... Definitely need more information before we can determine what's actually wrong and come up with advice. Don't just blankly administer antibiotics in the hopes of fixing it - we don't know what "it" is yet...

-Sarah

4. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

:( sorry did not have to much time for details, i knew he needed help very quick he died seconds after i sent the message he had been on boi mycin for 2 days his fever goes up rapidly i was able to get it down with cool wash rags other times and apparently no vet in florida cares about goats only 2 even do goats in my area and the soonest they would see him was the next day even though i called at 9 am and explained the seriousness so not only did i lose him but i had to keep him on ice for 2 days so the ag dept could come cut lesions off of him because the vet i had the appt with suggested he might of died of goat pox but never kept the carcass or reported it so they had to come to my house and take samples . sorry just venting it was an upseting experience thanks for responding

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that happened! :(

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. please let us know , when you find out, what he died from.