Very Sad Night

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, May 6, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

:( It was a very sad night here at my home. I have some goats and I lost one of them due to a horrbile accident lastnight.:( My goats was out playing around and one knocked one of the big plywood boards loose on the barn and killed one of my Nigeran goats. When it came down it hit her in the head and broke her neck. It was very hard to have to get her out from under a big board but it was done. We couldn't save her but of the way the board came down it killed her fast no suffering which that is great because I do not want my animals to suffer. Gosh I hope that doesn't sound awful but I know what it is like to suffer from something.. We miss her very much but I guess accidents like that will happen to livestock..

Has any of you had horrible accidents like that to happen with your livestock?

To beat it all she was going to be bred next year for the first time but now not. What a sad thing. :(

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

That stinks...I'm so sorry.

2 years ago one of my first fresheners got her collar caught on a branch near fenceshe was rubbing on and the collar got pulled up onto her muzzle and she suffocated...while I was straining the morning milk....I was heartsick....and cried all the way thru butchering her....one of the hardest things I've had to do.

3. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunatly with animals you run the risk of freak accidents. I have had a baby killed the same way. We had a trailor out in the pasture, we were collecting logs. And befor I could fill it the babies thought it fun to play see-saw. One was passing under when others jumped off. He also was killed instantly.
    Know it was not your fault. Hugs!
    steff

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry about your doe. I pray that that never happens again. Sorry. Big hugs from our place to yours. Good luck with the rest of your goats. Bye.

5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a real bummer. I had a roosting box fall down and kill two chickens once. Always a shock.

6. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.....critters will always find the one gap in the fence or the one loose rock or any other un-safe thing.
    Big hugs to you......

meggie

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss...
    I had a chicken that fell between two walls once...she was there a couple of days before we found her...she is okay!
    Another chicken I thought died right in front of me this morning...I tossed some bread in the coop and she got her head stuck in a very small space in a milk crate/nesting box. She squacked and flapped violently for a minute or so and pulled and then went completely still. I couldn't tell if she was breathing or not. I gently pulled her head through the hole and she went: "snap!" adjusted her neck and walked off in a very subdued manner.
    Thankfully, I haven't lost any yet, but had some close shaves. We use the breakaway collars and one of my bred does lost hers. We found it right on the other side of the fence where she had been stretching her neck to get some cedar...if it hadn't been a breakaway I thought she might have strangled!
    So sorry this happened...I love my little Nigies...

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry you lost the goat. I lost a baby Boer goat once when she was under an A frame shelter that collapsed on her when the other kids were playing on it.

9. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I too was saddened to hear of the freak accident and the loss of your goat. Once, a long time ago, I had a rooster with long spurs. He was found one morning hanging about 4' off the ground on the chicken wire fence by one of his spurs. I thought he was dead. My husband went and un-hooked his spur, and he was still alive! He did limp for about a week or two. We had to keep him separate in a small 'hospital' room to re-coop-erate. (pardon the pun).
    - Kathy

10. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

My sympathies...We had a near tragedy on our farm when our duck enclosure collapsed on itself - sandwiching the flock during high winds. It was all we could do to pry it open against the wind...we reinforced it and set it back up and it happened again a couple of days later! Fortunately, no one was hurt, but I felt terrible. It didn't happen a third time...they went into a steel a-frame for the duration of the windy season!

11. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

It is so hard to loose one to an accident. We do get attached to our critters.

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I'm so sorry about your little goat. What a sad thing. Sometimes these things happen and it is nobody's fault. They just find ways to get into mischeif. Hope you are doing okay. We have had freak accidents on our farm too. Always a shock and so very sad. Just makes you feel sick inside.

13. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I always figure to lose one from a freak accident a year anymore. Last year a little buckling was sticking his head through a fence and another doe rammed him and broke his neck. This year a yearling got her head in the smallest of holes and hung herself...

This year all my baby goats found out how to get on top of the barn (wish I took some pictures). That really freaked me out and I hurried to stop that. They would play up there like no big deal, jumping and pushing all the way to the edges!!!

14. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Oh my goodness sounds like everyone has had a dealing with this type of stuff. When I lost my little doe it was very hard but I did better this time dealing with her death since I knew it wasn't my fault but it did still hurt bad. We went out to the barn the next day and made sure all the boards was nice and tightly nailed up none loose thank goodness.

I hope no more of us has to deal this death for a long time of our beloved pets.

I know that is wishful thinking but at least hope it does come true. :)

Also thanks for being so kind and nice to me.