Very old, huge black walnut trees.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Jul 27, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I love them, too many of them...my dad says take them out, my former man friend says he thinks someone would take them out for me for free just for the wood? I question that.

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

If they are yard trees, you will have a hard time logging them out to anyone. To much of a chance of nails, bullets, fence wires, etc.

If they are in a timber stand, dont try to find someone to take them, SELL THEM. Get lots of bids, referrals, etc, but based on their shape they could be worth some money.

Hard to really answer sight unseen, but look at all of your options before commiting to anything

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

They are on the west edge of a property line. I don't want money. To me they aren't a bother. My dad says they are at the age where they are going to start giving me problems. They provide wonderful shade. The tree strip runs north to south and there is easy access into the yard UNTIL I plant anything else there.

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

In that case, look at each tree. If it were to fall over due to a storm, or just age, where would it land? If nothing is in danger of getting hit (house, parked cars, etc) let nature prune them out as time comes.

My grandmother planted black walnut trees as a very young girl. They bordered the farm yard. Over the years we have lost a few, but they make such a sight to see we would never take them down.

5. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Is it pretty easy to grow walnut trees in Kentucky, from seed? We only have 2 acres of land, but would like them for shade and privacy (though the wife had a great point about it being difficult to mow with walnut shells laying everywhere, LOL). How long would it take for them to grow from seed to say, 15-20 feet?

6. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

That I don't know. I do know at the place I am moving from in SD we have a beautifully pruned specimum I started as a 4 ft. nursery tree about 12 yrs. ago. It' taller than my 2 story house now... I am got good at judging distance, sorry. It finally started bearing last yr. I do know at my new place in Iowa...seedlings everywhere, and I moved a bunch of what I call teenage evergreens from SD. When I locate something as small as like less than half the tip of my pinky finger, I mark it out. I have 4 red cedar taller than my 2 story house, and I dug up 2 teenage evergreens, one 2 foot, and one 3 foot tall to transplant in Iowa. They are looking good after a couple months. I also do the same with bushes. Wild seedlings grow I would say about 4 times faster for me than anything I have ever purchased, but they say black walnuts are very slow growing. I have numerous wild black walnut seedlings in my pasture. I want to mark some of them off to mow around.

7. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

And if they have a lot of limbs -- call a custom gunstock maker -- they can be worth a lot to them!

8. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

If they are fine.
    Leave them.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

No hold on. This is a crop, you got to use your head.

I've heard of a black walnut bringing $50,000. For one. Perfect veneer type, wonderful grain.

As someone else said, if full of hardware & past prime or bent, then you have a hard time giving them away. Tho if it is good looking tree, they xray them & will use them dispite the hardware issue.

But, you can pretty easily get $200 - 500 a piece plus they are cut down & removed for you......

Man, I would sure look into that, why waste income? There are too many projects needing funds, why give them away - and have someone laugh all the way to the bank - if you can share in that income?

How many do you have? If you are real lucky you could have a $2500 one in the bunch, if not you could average $200 a piece.

They grow so slowly, & like to bend or cripple themselves. Beutiful furnature wood. They are rare if able to make good lumber or veneer from them. You shouldn't waste something possibly valuable.

--->Paul

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The 'black' in black walnut trees is kinda special & different - they are very, very slow growing once they hit sapling size. If you plant nuts, your children will be able to harvest them..... Typically takes 50 years to get a good large trunk.

I suspect you have regular walnut trees there?

The black ones are special, very different wood, very different growing. The nut is very different as well, much harder shell. Really takes time to get the shells cracked off!

--->Paul