Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone here has seen this but being a bit of a rookie at growing corn it's a new one for me. In the husk of an ear of corn was this styrofoam-like stuff growing - inplace of the ear of corn. It looked almost like the foam "peanuts" used for packing and it felt just like it too but it was gray. This stuff pushed the husk apart, that's how I found it. It was on Lancaster Sure Crop field corn.

Anyone seen this before?

·
Super Moderator
16,579 Posts
I have seen this in wet years. It is a type of mushroom or fungus. I always just cut off the wierd area and ate the rest of the ear. It is not supposed to be harmfull.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terri said:
I have seen this in wet years. It is a type of mushroom or fungus. I always just cut off the wierd area and ate the rest of the ear. It is not supposed to be harmfull.
Huh. Well definately a wet year! This must have been a "superfungus" because it is totally in place of the ear of corn in this one. Awfully weird texture too ... like I said just like styrofoam. I should have thought of that though. Seemed like some kind of genetic mutation though ... darned Monstanto :D

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Mike, what you see is rather common here in the muggy south. Just a side note, the Japanese value the stuff as a gourmet food. Last I heard it goes for about $14 per lb.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
heelpin said:
It could be the very toxic fungus Afflotoxin.
No, aflatoxin comes from peanuts.

This stuff is corn smut, an edible fungus. In Mexico, its called huitlacoche, or 'mexican truffles' and is considered a delicacy. We tried making quesadillas with it - not bad but not overwhelmingly delicious either.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have also heard of people eating corn smut but, I don't think I care to!

I think corn can carry mycotoxins that can cause problems for horses.

·
Registered
526 Posts
beaglady said:
No, aflatoxin comes from peanuts.

This stuff is corn smut, an edible fungus. In Mexico, its called huitlacoche, or 'mexican truffles' and is considered a delicacy. We tried making quesadillas with it - not bad but not overwhelmingly delicious either.

Consequences of high

concentrations of aflatoxin in corn

Aflatoxins are very potent compounds that

cause a variety of human and animal health

problems. On rare occasions, livestock can die

from ingesting aflatoxin-contaminated feed. Most

commonly, aflatoxin reduces

the feed efficiency and

reproductivity of livestock. It

can suppress the immune

system of animals, leading to

more frequent occurrence of

infectious diseases.

Unfortunately, the most

abundant aflatoxin, aflatoxin

B1, is a carcinogen. This raises

human health concerns

because aflatoxin can appear

in the milk of dairy cows fed

contaminated corn.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense but I think delicacy or not ... I ain't trying it! Thanks a lot ofr the responses. Pretty cool none-the-less.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
agmantoo said:
Mike, what you see is rather common here in the muggy south. Just a side note, the Japanese value the stuff as a gourmet food. Last I heard it goes for about $14 per lb.
WARNING!! If it's considered to be a Japanese delicacy, definitely do NOT eat that stuff. Ever heard of Fugu? Poisonous blowfish they eat. Numerous deaths each year attributed to fugu. And tastes horrible, so I've heard. The Japanese eat stuff my dog wouldn't even sniff.

·
Registered
550 Posts
SteveD(TX) said:
WARNING!! If it's considered to be a Japanese delicacy, definitely do NOT eat that stuff. Ever heard of Fugu? Poisonous blowfish they eat. Numerous deaths each year attributed to fugu. And tastes horrible, so I've heard. The Japanese eat stuff my dog wouldn't even sniff.
From what I understand, it causes a numbing sensation, not unlike novocaine in the mouth and the dulling effect of narcotics.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I've also had it show up in ears of corn, and think it is rather disgusting looking. No, I wouldn't be eating an ear with any of it in it.
mary

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I take it that you guys would not eat beef tongue but would not hesitate to eat an egg? Just joking :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone have a recipe for corn smut as a delicacy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts