very neglected blueberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fadefarm, Apr 24, 2005.

1. fadefarm

fadefarm New Member

I have some blueberries that were purchased a few years ago. They were eventually put into containers and forgotton. Yesterday I came across them and three were showing signs of life, but only one branch on each little plant seems to be budding. Is it worth trying to save them, I have more room now and can transplant them in a good spot. I just don't know how to care for them.

2. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Definately try to save them...I find blueberries very forgiving...I had some in the same shape 2 years ago..I thought I had lost them and stuck them on the ground by the shed. The next year theys showed signs of life and out they went. They didn't produce any fruit that first year, but the following year they did really well. Just put them in the ground. Be sure to fertilize them this summer after they "would have" fruited to strenghthen their root system by winter...Also keep them well watered.

3. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

I would try to save them. One hint - put some pine needles/oak leaves in the hole, or in some other way add a touch of acid... maybe spoiled orange juice?

Sue

4. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I just purchased 3 new - 3yr old plants from Water's Blueberry Farm in Smithville, MO. So...I still have their fertilizing instructions...they say to mix 2 tablespoons of Miracle Grow (for acid loving plants) in a 1 gallon bucket of water. Apply 1 bucket of fertilized water to each plant once a month from April to August. Apply the fertilized water in a broad ring around the drip line (edge) of eachplant. If your blueberry leaves have red spots or are smaller than a half-dollar coin then add an extra bucket of fertilized water that particular month. Apply a thick layer of mulch to conserve moisture and prevent weeds. MMMMMMMM I can almost taste the fresh berries now! Good Luck :)