Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be ready

guy with Indian accent calls , his English is actually very good

he tells you your pc has been sending errors to microsoft and they have forwarded the information on to the company he works for , and they are calling to help you show you how to get rid of these errors

next he will gain your trust by showing you all the windows errors in event viewer and getting you used to using the windows key and r to open a run line and typing things in to see event viewer , then config then he wants you to go to "mypchelp.us"

don't go there hang up this was a very convincing scam even for me who knew it was a scam from 10 seconds into the call

·
Chief Bottle Washer
559 Posts
A lady from our church fell for it. She went to that site; guy got control of her computer, she refused to give him her credit card number, he installed a virus that wiped out thousands of her pictures...among other damage. (She HAD backed them up a few months previously, but she still lost many of them.)

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am telling you they are getting really clean and professional

if they weren't on the dark side they could make a decent living , well if there was one to be made doing actual tech support.

I have Indian born naturalized US citizens as customers that have been here in the US since they were 10 years old that don't have as clean of English as this guy did.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Pop talked to them once. Computer hadn't even been on for days. Pop had him on the phone for over an hour. Mom said when they both started laughing really hard (couldn't help it, Pop is a great bs'er) the guy hung up on them. Pop gave him a fake credit card number and every time the guy read it back Pop would change a couple numbers.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
I always just hang up when that feller calls.

Reactions: Tricky Grama

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I guess we're missing all the fun. Our land line is one-way only, unless we dial 911. It's for computer use only otherwise. Incoming calls go to the FAX machine, so they're greeting with that lovely screech.

·
Premium Member
15,960 Posts
When I suddenly got a window pop up that said my hard drive was about to crash I googled HP and the first on the list was one of those scam businesses.

Normally I'm pretty cautious but since I had gotten the crash imminent message I got sucked in to the point that I gave him control of my computer. After about 20 minutes I started noticing some things wrong with what he was telling me and the threatening language he used to describe what was happening. Then he hit me up with the subscription sales pitch. I ended the conversation at that point.

My hard drive did crash but it had nothing to do with him. I had found a data stick in the woods and luckily was able to copy all my stuff onto it before the drive crashed. I also changed my passwords ASAP when I got my stuff reloaded.

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember a T-shirt that said "the only real network security" it had a big pair of scissors cutting a Ethernet cable.

you can unplug if you ever thing oh boy went to far , but I know better than connecting

I was just really impressed with how well spoken he was , had a solid script , quiet in the back ground , good quality phone call , he was very convincing he of course failed when i asked if he knew what my ip address was , he gave me a number but not mine

I work In IT and just hung out on the line to play with him and gather info about the scam

1 - 20 of 50 Posts