Very Early Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by johnghagen, Nov 21, 2004.

1. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) Here is a tip for all the home gardeners out here.At the market garden we have to have early tomatoes, so here is a inside tip that fits all the things we need,quick,cheap,practical and it works.You can have tomatoes at least one month early.Start with a early determinate variety then place your round cage around it,then take a fifty gal.clear trash bag,available at a cleaning supply store,and put over the cage and down to the ground and pull dirt up over the excesses to hold down.At first cut a X in the top but dont remove the hole piece of plastic yet.As the weather gets to 65F at the day time high then remove the top where you cut the X leave on till day temp are at 72F,watch to make sure it doesnt get to hot.Give it a try on one or to and i think it may suprise you. John and Rhonda (The Good Earth Farm)

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip :D I'm going to try that out next year. Have you tried it on other veggies as well, like broccoli or cauliflower? I live in zone 3/4 and could benefit form some earlier heating techniques.

3. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

good information John and Rhoda. The large clear plastic trash bag is an excellent idea and much cheaper and easier to store than those dang wall-o-waters.

Also, here's a really good selection of Extra Cold Tolerant and EARLY Tomatoes that might work for folks. I"m providing the link because the PDF would not cut and paste....

http://www.highaltitudegardens.com/dload/tomato.pdf

enjoy! :)

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Brocolli and Cauliflower like cool weather. If you hasten the heat, such as under plasic, they would bolt to seed quicker. There are early ripening varieties, or you could cover very early plantings until the seedlings get bigger and adapt to frost tolerance. Sometimes the best bet is to start seed direct in the ground. That way you don't have to harden off transplants.

I am iin zone 2b/3 and celebrity and fantastic tomato varieties are nice uniform and early. They are sweeter and more flavorful than Manitoba or most of the russian early types. With tenting tomato plants over using clear plastic, I think you could expect fruit here by mid July, though it can get very hot and dry out so extra watering is often necessary which also assures forcing more blossoming and fruit production.

Rich

5. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great idea. I will be putting it to use in the spring. Any ideas on varieties that are good for very early and very late tomamtoes.

Thanks
    Duke