Vertigo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Jan 16, 2005.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Any tips for getting rid of it. Had it for three weeks now. Been to the doctor and trying inner ear exercises like at Mayoclinic.com. Some days worse than others.

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

YIKES! I had that two years ago Christmas in Portland - very bad. I went to the hospital - thought I was having a heart-attack - wasn't - ekg and the works ($700 usd for 4hrs in hospt - have good cross-border ins. - OK).

So, they gave me some medicine - which is for seasickness - it is very inexpensive and it works - though the after effects of it are almost worse than the vertigo. I took it a few times and was fine - slowly got better over a few days.

Hope you get over it - it is awful - you will get better.

Good Luck,

Alex

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I was having vertigo w/ sinus infections. Had a CT scan and had sinus surgery this has helped.

Vertigo seems more like a symptom. To cure it a cause must be known. See an ENT.

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I had veritgo as part of an allergic reaction several years ago. In my case it was brown rice. Have you tried to map out your diet or other events that maybe triggering spells?

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If the doctor has ruled out an organic cause try ginkgo.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Ginger may help. You can buy ginger root (best) and just put a slice in your coffee or tea. Or, you can get powdered ginger from the spice section of your grocery or health store. A pinch a day should do it.

Add to that tumeric, pinch a day. Omit dairy products to see if that helps.

7. HarleysMom

Thanks for the responses. I am willing to try just about anything, at this point, to get my life back. This is very debilitating.

8. paden

paden Well-Known Member

I use ginger root tea. Alvita makes a good one that works very well for me.

It will warm you up, more so than an ordinary glass of tea. It may also raise your blood pressure a little but as long as your BP isn't already sky high it is safe. I drink it nearly daily with no ill side effects.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Somebody else mentioned allergies can cause this. I find that mushrooms give me vertigo. Fresh or cooked, it doesn't matter. Yeast and the mold you find in cheese is totally fine. Just mushrooms are the problem.

Definitely start with an ENT doctor (ear, nose, and throat) to see if there's an infection causing this or something that grew wrong and can be corrected. If nothing shows up, look at your diet.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ask your Dr. about Meniere's Disease. My father has it and it can be debilitating unless you get medication and learn to get in under control. There seem to be many triggers, including stress that bring about episodes. Usually, sodium has adverse effects on your body with relation to meniere's also.

You can read more about it here: http://oto.wustl.edu/men/

It knocked my father out of driving his truck years ago and it took a few years for him to learn to control it, when a bout was coming on, etc. His ears feel "clogged" and he can feel the pressure build in it, there is usually hearing loss, sometimes permanent associated. In my personal opinion, skip the ginger and get to the dr. You may have to educate him/her about the disease.

11. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

I've had 2 bouts of vertigo, no cause located, it did go away after several weeks of off'n'on. The 2nd time the doctor gave me a medicine called antivert - not sure if that made it go away or not. Very odd feeling, isn't it? I have been in some mild earthquakes before - it's a similar feeling. I had it come upon me while sitting at the computer - I would just sorta grab the chair thinking that would help... It's weird, then you look around you and nobody else seems to be reacting, so you get the idea it's just you.

It could be a symptom of something - not sure I'd bother with a lot of $$ tests if I got it again and it was the ONLY symptom, now that I've had it twice. It might be coincidence that I got it a week or so after flying, both times. I've flown since and not gotten it, but I don't travel by air often. I wondered if it was inner-ear related, but the doc didn't follow up on that theory.

Anyway - hope you figure yours out and don't have any troubles with it, like falling. I never experienced any nausea or anything, just that odd feeling that the world was spinning around.

12. HarleysMom

ZYG, read the info on Meniere's and it described my symptoms perfectly. Bummer. I go back to the doctor next week and will discuss it with him. Thanks.
    Melinda, I haven't ever been in an earthquake but it sure felt that way with the vertigo. Like the earth was moving and I couldn't keep my balance. Just had a lot of stomach symptoms with it.( p.s. I sent you a PM.)

13. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I have Meniere's Disease. I haven't had the vertigo part in 2 years. I do have the ringing in the ears daily. Some days worse than others. I have gotten used to most of it. I keep it under control mostly by limiting salt intake. Stress seems to aggravate it as well. I have 40% hearing loss in my right ear and 20% in my left. When I have a bout with the vertigo part, I can't lift my head off of the pillow. Some people get hit during the day and instantly collaspe onto the floor..I have only awaken with it in the morning. When I do get veritgo, it may lasts 2 days to several weeks and varies in intensity. The first time, I went to the ER not knowing what I had...They sent me home saying it was flu bug...
    2 weeks later again....this time I went to the dr. (ENT)..Still no diagnosis...A year went by then I got hit again...Back to the Dr....Lots of tests... then the right diagnosis...I have adjusted to all of it but the vertigo...when I feel the pressure building, I take an over the counter fluid pill. Helps me.....Please seek medical attention....If you aren't satisfied, seed another opinion. I am of the belief that we should take responsibility for our own health. Educate yourself. No one knows your body like you do yourself...The site mentioned above by Zeal is very good.............Best Wishes

14. kate

kate Well-Known Member

hi, i have the equilibrium disease also, from a head injury years ago. a cold will bring it back. i have the ringing and pulsing in ear also. i carry antivert with me and for nausea, dramamine will work. search out some message boards on it and it will help you understand how it differs in each person. it is a real pain.............

15. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

16. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

HarleysMom, I really hope that you do not have Meniere's Disease. I have lived with it for 30 years. In the early years the "spells" as I called the vertigo attacks were very frequent, sometimes daily. The doctors didn't know what was the cause and I was misdiagnosed as epileptic. The diagnosis didn't really fit, I was falling down from dizziness, not having seizures. The drugs for epliepsy had no effect on the disease, but I felt like I was always in a fog, so I stopped taking them.

As I learned to live with the disease, I found that I could feel when the vertigo spells were coming, so if I was driving or doing anything which would have been dangerous, I had enough time to prepare myself for it.

The vertigo spells decreased in intensity, duration, and frequency over the years, but never went away totally. I have more problems with the tinnitis and variations in hearing than anything else. I wasn't properly diagnosed until 2001. I rarely have vertigo spells anymore, only a couple of times a year, but then again, I've been on sodium control and Lasix for a couple of years now.

Bob

17. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Have you had your blood glucose tested? I experienced vertigo/dizziness for a few weeks a number of years ago, and once tested, found I was hypoglycemic. A change in diet (lower on the carbs, but seek medical advice) put me back on track.

Dee

18. HarleysMom

Thanks for all the replys. I was feeling much better today but have had that happen before and then the next day is terrible. Spent this wonderful day working with my animals. Actually thought about cancelling my next doctor appointment. But this evening my ear started aching and noticed more dizziness. I can't imagine how people have dealt with this for years and retained their sanity.
    I generally watch what I eat. Have regular checkups. But I do like my salt and chocolate though and those seem to be the culprits for causing Meniere's. The universe is conspiring to take away my favorite stuff. :)

19. HarleysMom

Thanks for all the replys. I was feeling much better today but have had that happen before and then the next day is terrible. Spent this wonderful day working with my animals. Actually thought about cancelling my next doctor appointment. But this evening my ear started aching and noticed more dizziness. I can't imagine how people have dealt with this for years and retained their sanity.
    I generally watch what I eat. Have regular checkups. But I do like my salt and chocolate though and those seem to be the culprits for causing Meniere's. The universe is conspiring to take away my favorite stuff. :)