Vertical growing ideas?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'd like to make some tomato cages and some supports for growing melons on. Anyone have any great (cheap) ideas for me? I'd like to use something other than fencing, but I'll do that if I have to.

THANKS!

2. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

best tomatoes i ever grew was when i made round circles of reinforcing wire, filled the inside with rotten hay and cow manure--and planted tomatoes around the cage. i watered by putting a hose into the top! had tomatoes by the bushel--they grew roots into the compost.

3. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I second the concrete reinforcement mesh.

It's pretty sturdy wire with a 6" grid so you can fit your hand inside to reach tomatos easily. I usually cut it to include 9 complete squares of mesh and leaving the last square without it's end. I then roll it up and bend the last wire inward over the first complete grid to hold it's shape. On the bottom I cut off the horizontal wire which would touch the ground if the roll was set upright leaving a number of wire spikes to poke into the ground to keep the cage upright.

I leave them out year-round and they do rust some but last but would likely last 10 years or so. The worst that has happened is that the bottom spikes which poke into the ground rot away. When that happens I just break off the remaining spikes, cut off the bottom horizontal wire again and plug it back into the ground 6 inches shorter.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you growing tomatoes or melons? What kind?
    Muskmelons will grow on a diagonal trellis. Something on the order of a cattle panel leaning over at a 45 degree angle with the top supported with T posts. This also works really well with cucumbers.
    For tomatoes stand the cattle panel up straight with a t post at each end and one in the middle. Tie the vines to the wire with soft rags or panty hose. Everybody needs cattle panels to garden well. They will last many years. I've seen rusty ones, but never seen one rusted out.

5. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

I'll second that on the cattle panels started using them last year and really liked them for my tomatoes got more this year for cucumbers and beans . may try the cantalopes on them too

6. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'm growing watermelons, cantalopes, cucumbers, several other kinds of melons and four kinds of tomatoes.

I think I'll go look around at the local TSC and also at my dad's farm (and maybe my uncle's while I'm at it). I hate to spend money on stuff if I can find discarded items and give them new life!

7. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

For your melons,beans,peas ect. I use old spring mattresses. I use t posts to hold them upright.
    Kathy

8. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

Mammaboo............I bought the real large tomato cages (about 4 1/2 ' ) to use for my cantalope plants.
    I am going to use them upside down, staked to the ground. I will tie will lightweight cloth strips and support the melons with pantyhose cradles.

I have not done this before so I am hoping it works outs.

I am going to have alot of vertical growing along the fece also (cucumbers, pole beans and tomatoes. Have to get alot going in a smaller space.