Vert sick dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Dec 20, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pistol, the local cow dog has just started coughing very loudley and acts like he is trying to exspel something from his throat, hes about 50 pound of florida cur, our cow dogs. Nose is cold and he controls the cough when someone approaches him, body temps seem normal, eyes are a small bit glassy. He is kennel kept and gets out to run evert second evening., I am looking for info site or opinions.

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Any chance that he has a bone shard or similar lodged in his throat?

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

At a guess, probably kennel cough/bordatella, but I'd take him to the vet to be sure, and to have the vet check for other problems which could cause a cough. The cough is pretty distinctive -- it sounds like they have something caught in their throat. But ... other things can cause coughing too, some a lot more serious.

If it is kennel cough, it isn't serious in a healthy dog -- in fact, my aussie weathered a pretty good bought last year when she was fifteen -- but can turn nasty occasionally, so a vet visit may be called for. It's essentially the doggy version of a sore throat, but I *have* seen a dog get extremely ill with a fever of 105 and a loss of almost half his body weight (and not a fat dog to begin with -- hyper athletic dog who lost a lot of muscle mass) -- but that was a pound rescue who was stressed to begin with and who refused to eat until we finally gave him pain killers.

Leva

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I agree with Cygnet, my sons dog have to be put down he was so sick, get him to a vet as soon as you can. Check his breath, it may be very foul if he has a bad infection.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I was thinking of this also as a possibility. Seems that a vet visit would be wise to check out Pistol's cough. Hope you get him cured up.

6. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

The primary sign of kennel cough is a dry- sounding, spasmodic cough caused by pathogens that induce inflammation of the trachea (windpipe) and bronchi (air passages into the lungs). At the end of a coughing spell, a dog will often retch and cough up a white foamy discharge. Some dogs also develop conjunctivitis (inflammation of the membrane lining the eyelids), rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal mucous membrane), and a nasal discharge. Affected dogs usually remain active and alert and continue to eat well. But if you suspect your dog has kennel cough, isolate it from other dogs.
    The cough is very characteristic and can be easily elicited by massaging the dog's larynx or trachea But if the dog is depressed; feverish; expelling a thick yellow or green discharge from its nose; or making abnormal lung sounds,

Heart worm infection sighs
    Deep chest cough
    Fatigue and lethargy
    Abdominal distension or bloating
    Labored respiration
    Weighty loss\

Distemper (usually in puppies)
    The dry cough associated with distemper appears in the first stage of the disease, when the dog is listless and has a fever (103-105() and a thick, yellow discharge from nose and eyes. Although these symptoms resemble those of a common head cold in humans, dogs do not catch colds

Roundworms live in the canine intestine. The dog can become infected by licking or eating soil contaminated with eggs. The eggs are swallowed and hatch in the intestine; the larval worms travel to the lungs in the bloodstream, crawl up the windpipe, and are swallowed to return to the intestine and mature into adults. As they migrate up the windpipe, the larva can cause bouts of coughing.

Although uncommon, tuberculosis does affect dogs and can cause upper respiratory symptoms. The cough associated with this bacterial infection is moist and productive; dogs may hack up bloody sputum, and suffer from labored breathing. Diagnosis is by x-ray of the lungs. Dogs and humans can infect each other with tuberculosis.

The symptoms of several fungus diseases resemble those of tuberculosis. Dogs kenneled in or near old chicken or pigeon coops or in the presence of other large accumulations of bird dung can inhale fungus spores that can cause chronic coughs, bouts of pneumonia, weight loss, undulating fever, and breathing difficulties. Diagnosis is difficult; again, prevention is the best course.

Coccidiosis is a protzoan disease with symptoms that resemble distemper. It is most common in dirty kennels. Cleanliness is the best antidote. Allergies to pollen, house dust, molds, insect bites, and foods can cause coughing, sneezing, and general itchiness.

7. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Heartworms, likely. Go to vet and get the $15 (or so) blood test. Once they start coughing, it's time for treatment!!

DO NOT TREAT for heartworms until you KNOW by blood test they are positive!

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I took a small dose of terramicine, about what would cover a wet pencil eraser and put it in his food, second day later the cough was gone. There did seem tobe some soreness to the under throat, gone now. Ther was never afever or signs of worseing conditions. The terramicine was purchased at the feed store and is usually used in bee hives, I have used it myself in the past for tooth problems, at $6.00 for the tube it will last me acouple of years, cureing critters and all.