Vermont

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Jun 3, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Does anyone here live in Vermont? What's the weather like? I here that the state gets mudslides when the snow melts. Is that true? I was thinking of possibly moving there. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I live in central Vermont. The weather? Pretty much like the rest of New England, four seasons. The winter can be rough if you live on a mountain like I do, we had about 3 -4 feet of snow on the ground most of the winter...but it was a bad winter. Some years there is much less snow.
    Mudslides? I suppose there could be one or two somewhere in the state, but Ive never seen one or even heard of one. There is usually one or two roads that will wash out in the spring , thats about it.

The houses and land here are VERY expensive and taxes are very high. The job market is a lot of service and recreation jobs, nursing and truck drivers seem to be in demand here, teachers also.

If you have any more questions, Ill try to answer them.

3. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. That's very helpful.

4. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

MudSlides? Do you mean mud-season? It's that lovely period between winter and June when the dirt roads turn to a muddy goop.

I live next door in NH instead of Vt and some mud-seasons are a real pain. Even the 4wd trucks get trapped and have to get winched out. Some other seasons, no problem at all. The road we live on was real bad the first year we moved in but has been ok most of the years since. It seems to depend on wet thingss are, how much snow, if the temp after thaw really warms up or just hangs out in the low thirties preventing the road base from realling thawing.

-m

5. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

If you want to live in a suburb of NY, CONN, NJ AND MASS then come to VT.It's so quaint. Bring lots of money. Keep VT green.