Vermont and New Hamp folks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, May 31, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I have always been intriged with
    those 2 states, from what I have read. Never been.
    Can anyone from those areas tell me what it is like?
    I'd like to get out there sometime soon, just won't be this year.
    Much snow in the winter?
    What are the folks like?
    Etc

2. mink

mink Well-Known Member

if you into '' queers'' burlington vermont is known as the ''queen'' city.get outta there and vermont is rural and mountainous...very nice . sking in the winters with alot of nice slopes , temps from 35 to 0 most of the time with some -25 days too. snow varyies as to the mountains from knee deep to chest high...lol
    all in all vermont is a very nice place
    mink

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

The mountains of NH of very pretty. Southern NH near MA is getting more
    and more expensive and lots of people from MA moving there. Route 93 into
    MA is crazy and 95 is getting that way (that's if you have to commute to a job
    in MA).

The green mountain area of NH is touristy a bit, but beautiful. We like
    Franconia NH.

They both get lots and lots of snow!

I've only been to VT once. We went to woodstock and it was really yuppie
    and expensive.

I would check state cost of living statistics, look at local newspapers to get an
    idea of rents, etc.

I think VT has lots of taxes including food tax?(not sure).
    NH has huge real estate in some places so look for that - so many people have
    moved to some parts that they are needing to building mroe schools and infrastructure. My brother pays ~$6,000 on 1 1/2 acres. Northern NH is better for that i think.

They are both beautiful in different parts and have awesome foliage.

4. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Vermont is a beautiful state.. I frequently drive down there.. for the Agricultural Fairs & Craft fairs.. shopping.. and all the entertainment.. at the Fairgrounds.. & Flynn theatre.. .. nothing bad to say about Vermont..

KC~

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

They are both pretty states, lots of snow, but a tiny bit warmer than Maine. But all my friends from NH are pretty stuck up, and that's not just me talking. We were talking about this at a party recently. We decided that native Mainers were stuck up but NH'ers were worse. Thats pretty bad. We used to go to Vermont when I was little and the ppl there were always real nice.
    To me, it's the people that make a place, anything else can be dealt with.
    And there are TONS of (predatory) cops in any of the New England states...did you know it is now illegal to spank your kid in NH?

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Being a X New Hampshire folk,,, Has it has been 10 years since I used to live there.

Liked the state,, from Manchester North. Loved the White Mountains..but spendy in that area. Really liked Concord.

Lots of snow,, when I lived there, 45*below for a couple of weeks in winter was not unheard of.
    On average only had 2 months of offical frost free weather, so growing plants can be tricky if not used to it.

Oh, and all the bugs like to bite people,, or at least they did me. Makes it hard to do outdoor stuff.

Summer is muggy and warm. Fall is breath taking,, think the most beautiful place on Earth, that time of year.

Heating is spendy..

Unless you have family, and you are not used to Northeasterners,,,, might be a little touchy for awhile. Folks can be standoffish.
    Babies are great Ice breakers so to speak,, so are horses.

Spring/summer/faires are really good, but they are also great in VT and Maine.
    Wish they had such on this side of the country. Sigh ~ ~

Sullen, thats sad,, NH felt the need to band spanking. :rolleyes:

In all honesty,, and I do not know if it has changed much. But I really liked Maine.

7. LizMovingNorth

LizMovingNorth Member

I don't know where you're from, but if it's somewhere in the southern half of the country, be warned that the growing season is pretty short up here. It can frost as late as the end of May and as early as the first week in Sept. That gives you about 90 days...different areas can vary though, depending on which side of the mountains you're on. Some years have the last frost in April and the first in Oct, but you can't count on that happening when you want it.

It can also be quite expensive, less so as you get further away from all the people. There are lots of Taxes in VT vs just property tax in NH, but the NH tax can be so high that it comes out even. Just make sure to check prop. tax before buying anything in NH.

Winter is cold, can be more or less snowy depending on where you are. Summer is quite nice, aside from the black flies. Fall is absolutely beautiful, and spring is one big mud pit.

People are people, same as anywhere. There are yuppies and good-ole-boys, conservatives and liberals. Some towns have more of one than another, so just like moving anywhere you'll probably want to spend some time whereever you're going to live before you make a final decision.

Land and houses in "popular" places can be very expensive (i.e. Burlington VT, south-western NH, etc) but northern areas and some of the mid to western VT have relatively cheap properties, especially if you're looking for raw land, or an old/small house.
    Liz

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Snow? If you live where I do, you will hate snow with a passion after one winter.

[​IMG]

That fence thats buried comes up to my chin. :eek:

[​IMG]

Thats a German Shepard, so you can tell how deep it was.

Taxes are horrendous, house prices are even worse.

But today, my car broke down in the driveway and the mechanic came to the house so I wouldn't need to pay for a tow, and isn't charging me any more than I would have paid if I brought it in.
    You dont find that a lot anymore. :D

9. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

10. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Ranchlady,
    If you move to Vermont you will need a pocket FULL of money. Even a descent place to live will run around $1000 a month.
    In Burlington I understand can be more. (And do stay away from Burlington nothing but bad news anymore)
    People, same as anywhere, most are nice some are not.
    Snow, you can get tons of it, but it has not been too bad the last couple years.
    Tax on most everything except food.
    The job market is not good. If you can bring a job with you. Pay in most areas is crap, if you find a job at all. Unless you have a specialty you will be at almost min. wage.
    Taxes in most places is sky high.
    If I were to move I would look to Maine.
    Hope this helps you out,
    John#4

11. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

What's that :confused:

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Jobs....

cutting wood to stay warm in winter....

Shoveling snow....

Planting the garden with enough mosquitos and blackflies biting you that you have to go to the hospital for a blood transfusion...

Bailing out the cellar on Spring....

Finding your mailbox after the snowplow hit it for the fourth time so you can hope to get your SS check to pay the light bill before you are disconnected.....

Just a few of the jobs available in Maine.

Oh you meant work for someone else.....I see....no one can pay money...its all paid to taxes and utilities...you might be able to work for your supper somewhere.

;)

13. mama0moon

mama0moon Member

Native of NH. It's beautiful Concord on north, getting too crowded south and very expensive to live, esp. closer to the coast. You can still find very beautiful towns though in the southern part of the state. Native New Englanders are standoffish by nature but I read recently that NH population is now 60% out of state transplants and these people are coming in and typically changing the ways things used to go here, can be good or bad.

My family has lived in VT, NH and ME for many generations so I'm also looking to where they farmed and what they raised as well as sharing my own opinion. Personally I'd pick northern coastal ME, but that's me. VT provides good land for veg and fruit farming (and makes the best maple syrup in the region ;) ) NH is more suited for raising livestock as our land is so rocky and generally not worth the effort to clear for farming, of course that is my opinion I am resentful of the several tons I've had to dig out of the ground. You can find some areas, up around the NH/VT border along the CT river valley that offers fields for more veg friendly planting.

We have very short growing seasons in both states. This year has been horrid, I am still waiting on early planted cold crops to make a decent showing. This year I'll build cold frames and tends to be different, it's the cold that gets to you as it just hangs on and on.

I did a salary calculator a few months back to see what the differnce would be to live in VT and ME compared to here, VT was the cheapest, NH was the priciest. Depending on the town you live in taxes can be through the roof. Cost of land and housing is expensive in NH compared to VT, depending on where you look of course, I was looking in small towns for farming land.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Native Vermonter (multiple generations on the same farm) with Maine thrown in on my father's side (lobstermen from Biddeford).

http://www.woolandfeathers.com click on the "life with farm" link.

I confess I haven't spent much time in NH. NH is the state you drive through to get to Maine (although after one poster's critique of VT I'm not sure we'll be visiting there again any time soon...).

Vermont is, and there is no way to sugarcoat this, expensive. Our taxes are some of the highest, per capita, in the country. We have a surprisingly generous social safety net, we have a school equalization program with skyrocketing costs and no constraints... the taxes here can eat you alive. Just as in NH... check on those property taxes before you close, and for heaven sakes, go down to the local feed store and chat someone up about anticipated increases. Because the real estate agent isn't going to tell you they expect a 20% increase next year...

We have, however, outstanding colleges here and educational opportunities for anyone who is looking to advance their degree... or simply learn something new. Libraries are in virtually every town with a statewide sharing system, so if they haven't got what you need, they can get it. Increasingly libraries are putting in wireless networks, so you can drop in with a laptop and go online.

We have excellent health care, a legacy of the Dean administration. Unfortunately, we're also looking at having universal health care rammed down our throats (can you say "higher taxes, fewer services?"). You land on one side of this issue if you have health insurance, another side if you don't.

We have, as the above poster pointed out, short growing seasons and long winters. I burn 10 cords a year. As someone else pointed out, housing is expensive, and they nailed it just about right on the price. If you're renting where the jobs are (either a tourist town or the Burlington area) you're going to be shelling out a surprising amount in housing costs.

Big box stores, the ones people talk about all the time in this forum, aren't readily available to most Vermonters unless they make a trip of it, and even then, we don't have one of those mega-Walmarts at our disposal. So some things are going to cost you WAY more than you expect if you're used to shopping in stores like that. And if you're accustomed to ethnic foods, you're going to be ordering spices and such online. Such things simply don't exist here, even in my area which is heavily invested in appearing chic.

Someone pointed out that New Englanders tend to be more reserved and stand offish than other parts of the country, and this is true. I think of it as a suspicion born of "staying." People who do not have the luxury of mobility are cautious about making friends with people who have that luxury. Part of that caution is fear of exposure to new wants. It is hard to want something if you don't know it exists or it isn't right in your face. Part of that caution is fear of being judged. Right now, people moving into Vermont are vastly wealthier than we wee native folk and there is no question but what I wonder what people who live in these new trophy homes think of my little place, or the humble food I can serve them.

And part of it is that time is measured more slowly here... across generations. My nearest neighbor has been my neighbor for five generations. You simply can't expect to move into the house down the road and instantly be part of that.

Lastly... Vermont practically requires you park your ego at the border as far as jobs are concerned. Most work available in VT for unskilled labor is in service industry, travel industry, seasonal, work. Burlington has an insatiable demand for nurses, but they work them to death. Manufacturing fled New England over the past 10 years and most companies in VT are made up of 5 or less employees. Mom and Pop operations which may employ someone part time or even have grown enough to take on someone full time, but no benefits.

When I talk to someone about moving here I tell them to take anything, anything at all, when they first get here, no matter how menial, to preserve cash and make contacts. Start looking for work in your field before you get here and hammer at it when you arrive. Or, bring a company with you. Vermont offers incredible support for someone willing to move a company to one of our industrial parks.

And, as someone noted... bring cash. While housing is completely out of reach for most native Vermonters, someone selling a property in Boston could reasonably expect to use those proceeds to purchase a very nice home on 5 acres in Lamoille county free and clear (the Stowe/Smuggler's Notch area of VT). There's nothing like a pile o' cash to increase someone's options!

dltasig7 likes this.
  15. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much convinced New England and NY and PA are not the place for my family.Its to bad,I've always had this fantasy of New England,crisp fall days,snow,trees,maple syrup,etc.,but thats not all there is to the reality.New England is a nice place to visit but you can't afford to live here.Very good information,thankyou,BASIC.

16. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

1. Bergere...you said NH "felt the need to ban spanking"...ever heard of "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns"? Ban spanking and only outlaws will spank. Does anyone really think some obscure law is going to help child abusers? No those ladies in Wally world swatting their unruly 3 yr old, but real abusers?
    2. Morrison Corner...you said you can't expect to be part of a community that has been there for 5 generations. I don't...what gets me is people here who aren't from this town either, giving me attitude, not calling me back, my kid's baseball coach not calling us AT ALL to tell us baseball started. Their boy scout leader not calling me to tell me a meeting is cancelled, stuff like that. Community leaders walking away from me. ( no I did not yell at them) My favorite is when I put together a newsletter for a school here and they never released it. I will be shaking my head about that one forever.
    I am from the south, and these things would never be seen.
    OK I am done.

17. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Native New Hampshire here, :) . It is very expensive to live here, property taxes are crazy. And as I have posted before on another topic, it is getting way to crowded. Even up north you cant get away from the out of state city people.

And yeah, so what we maybe a little snobby, it is probably because we are being closed in on, and feel it is everyone from out of states fault, because they are moving up here, subdiving the land, bring tons of kids to the local schools, making property taxes go thru the roof, saying we need more cops and more fire trucks to get to there 4 story "small homes", and go to work in the already limited work arena around here.

I used to live in a small town where everyone knew each other, I still live there but it is no small town...almost every new house being built on the road I live on is bought by someone from MA. Then they argue with us (town natives) at town meetings because we do everything so "backwoods".

But yeah , it is beautiful, and yes breath taking in the fall.

Bring your snow shoes because the snow gets DEEP.

I hope you like cold because it has gotten in the past couple of years down to minus30+ in the winter.

And no there isn't much work unless you like to get buy on barely if even living costs. Going paycheck to paycheck.
    And everyone and their brother sells firewood, so dont get to excited at the idea of possibly doing that.

:soap:

Boy, sorry......I'll get down now...by all means come up and visit New England first....you may like it here ;)

Mandy

dltasig7 likes this.
  18. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Sullen, I just meant it is silly to me to ban spanking. Please re read.

Granted I did not do if often, but sometimes it was needed.

Like a child running in front of a car, my son did that once,, and got spanked for it. Not hard, but enough to get my point across. He never did it again.
    And yes, I was watching him like a hawk, but was not quite fast enough. Luckly the car was not going very fast.

Think sometimes, so of the laws states think up are just down right silly. Sigh ~ ~

On another note, I still miss New England in the fall. But not the rest of the seasons. :D

19. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Mandy,
    Sadly is it like that all over the country. Oregon & WA has the same problems.
    Lots of people moving out to the country and trying to change things to make it look like a city. :bash:

Bergere
    Where Mom's side of the family still lives in Upper New England, arriving in 1599 to 1610.

20. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Run from VT.....RUN! Before the taxes get higher and property gets more expensive! It will be the minute you turn around...(Yep, don't count on me homesteading in VT...too bad, it's nice in VT as long as you're not near burlington....just way too expensive esp. considering job availability...)