Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you remember Vera? I thought of her today. The mosquitoes were awful this afternoon. I had a floppy hat, tshirt with a long sleeve light denim shirt over that (for horse flies) and long jeans on working outside. They still wore my hands and ears out!! They ran me in today!

Vera lived in Minnesota and she liked to garden and homestead. The bugs were awful up there so she posted a picture of an outfit she came up with to combat said bugs. I think she even made a belt of duct tape to catch the ticks.

It was a hoot!! I miss Vera. The only good thing the mosquitoes were good for today was to make me think of Vera and it put a smile on my face until the next one bit me anyway!! :grump::censored:

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
She is the fuji fix princess......she duct taped her pants legs to boot tops too...lol

i joined here because her,moonwolf,rkintn,arkwoman and others were posting all the pictures....i wanted to join in in shutter big happiness....lol

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Yep! I remember Vera and her outfits, photos and great personality!!! I believe some HTers took up a collection and went to help her out with some repairs on the house and there was some kind of falling out and she never posted again. :( I miss her too!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I remember Vera very well. She loved photographing nature and living simply. She was on another forum for a while after everything blew up here after SW. Money was raised to help fix up her house and get her ready for winter. Someone from the Ht board went to help her with handyman type stuff. I don't know what happened but there was some type of disagreement over money or something or other. She posted a 'last post' and I haven't seen her again. I do think of her and wonder how things panned out for her.

B

·
0 Posts
I remember Vera very well. She loved photographing nature and living simply. She was on another forum for a while after everything blew up here after SW. Money was raised to help fix up her house and get her ready for winter. Someone from the Ht board went to help her with handyman type stuff. I don't know what happened but there was some type of disagreement over money or something or other. She posted a 'last post' and I haven't seen her again. I do think of her and wonder how things panned out for her.
I think it was Andy who was incredibly kind and generous and traveled fairly non-stop to help her...her wiring was dangerous...? her roof was leaking like a sieve...and she was in a mess...she has a chronic illness which, when it hits , it hits hard and she couldn't possibly have done all of that work by herself...Everything got fixed...she posted pictures...it was a wonderful thing ...there was even a fleeting romance from that..LOL...cool.
There were no money disagreements from that ....

I don't recall exactly why she left...but I miss her terribly...

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I thought it was the SW situation that started things downhill for Vera on ST, but hey, my memory is the last thing I would rely on these days. We lost a lot of good posters about that time though.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I think it was Andy who was incredibly kind and generous and traveled fairly non-stop to help her...her wiring was dangerous...? her roof was leaking like a sieve...and she was in a mess...she has a chronic illness which, when it hits , it hits hard and she couldn't possibly have done all of that work by herself...Everything got fixed...she posted pictures...it was a wonderful thing ...there was even a fleeting romance from that..LOL...cool.
There were no money disagreements from that ....

I don't recall exactly why she left...but I miss her terribly...
No, it had nothing to do with Andy, he was incredibly kind and worked very hard to help her. I sent money and several others did, what happened after that and what the kerfuffle over it was I don't know. She had a lot of burdens, no family that I know of, was straight-forward and struggling. She had/has a real gift for photography and I always thought she could publish them and have a little income from that. I hope she pops up again.

B

·
0 Posts
I tried very hard to get places to show her work...must have contacted over 150 places...just wasn't the right time I guess...she was more than your average talent IMHO...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
She had a blog that I went to several times but... computer crashed and I lost the link. Seems to me that there was a problem with the money that was collected..... it didn't get spent/sent as it should have by whoever was handling the fund. I can't remember all the details but there were very hurt feelings....

I was surprised that she was from Germany....

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I believe there was a disagreement about the money left over after things were fixed. Vera felt that it should be given to her to do as she needed later and the person who collected the money didn't and kept it. I don't know what happened after that but Vera was very upset and sent the last message and disappeared. I hope things have improved for her!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Geesh...my "senior moments" must have started much earlier than I'd thought...LOL...I have no recollection of any of that...I remember the generosity of everyone sending $ to give her a hand up...I remember Andy driving to the rescue non-stop...I remember the before and after photos...and then...."poof"..no memory..maybe there are pills I can take..ROFLOL...

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Geesh...my "senior moments" must have started much earlier than I'd thought...LOL...I have no recollection of any of that...I remember the generosity of everyone sending $ to give her a hand up...I remember Andy driving to the rescue non-stop...I remember the before and after photos...and then...."poof"..no memory..maybe there are pills I can take..ROFLOL...
I hope that you find those pills as I don't remember all of that either.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I definitely remember some sort of dust-up and her goodbye post, but don't remember details, other than it was about money and a lot of hurt feelings. I thought it was great the way everyone pulled together to get her issues taken care of. I wanted to contribute, but was in a pretty bad spot myself at that time and just couldn't swing it, so I wasn't in on all the details.

It's a shame, I miss her and Andy too. Does he still post? I haven't seen anything by him in ages either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts