Ventless Propane logs..Stinky or not?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Boleyz, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Hi!
    I just finished building a MASSIVE rock fireplace that's all fake. No Chimney, No flue, just a firebox for vent-free gas logs. It really looks nice, like those big fireplaces at Cracker Barrel Resturants. I even have a huge mantle that I made from a black walnut log from a tree that blew down on a neighbor's property a couple of years ago. I'm getting ready to build a walnut dining table next...ANYHOW...my bro-in-law said he had to take out his propane ventless logs because they stunk up the house. Other people I know say they are no problem. My bro-in -law switched to natural gas and says that fixed his problem. He also changed his log set, so don't tell me about orifices and pressure, I already know all that. I figured he probably had a stopped up burner that was leaking un-burned gas through a seam somewhere. ANYHOW...What's your guys preferences? Do Propane venless logs stink or not?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My understanding is that the ventless Elm logs smell terrible, but the ventless Oak, Maple, Birch and Hickory logs smell great.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You are bad!!!!! ;)

Good taste in music tho.

Water vapor can be a problem, tho in a cold climate in a dwelling you often need a humidifier anyhow....

A flame without a vent is putting something in the air, and is taking away oxygen. You'd want to watch that, depends on how tight your house is.

--->Paul

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We put gas logs in our fireplace one year, and it was a mess, blackened the ceilings, and made the walls grey. We took them out and never used them again.We had butane gas logs.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've got a set of ventless on natural gas. They definetly give off an odor. I have been told you need to buy the very expensive ones to not get the odor.

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Here is a site which sells non-vented log sets. CA and some other states do NOT allow them, many other states do allow.

Can you ask a log set seller your question?

Alex

7. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

We have a ventless natural gas fireplace. We get a little smell when we first light it and we we turn it off. Just for a few seconds. Then it is gone.