ventless propane heaters.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mldollins, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mldollins

mldollins Well-Known Member

I am contemplating getting a ventless propane heater. What are the pros and cons? I do not intend to use this as a main heat source.

I do know they give off moisture. But, my basement is very very dry.

Thoughts????

thanks.....

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I put one in my basement when I finished it, and it does a very nice job of heating my 800 sq ft, two room area.

The stove is room #1, and we have a fan blowing warm air into room #2.

I have no way to measure how much LP it is using, but I did not really see a drop in my tank usage when installed it.

3. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

There have been a lot of posts on these in the past, and you'll find that it's sort of controversial as to safety, but...

I LOVE MINE! I have three. A blue flame wall unit in my kitchen at home; a blue flame wall unit with a blower in the kitchen at our weekend "playhouse" (big ol' farmhouse), and a black, old-timey-looking stove with gas logs in the living room there. The one at home we use for emergency heat in the event of a power outage, or if it's exceptionally cold and we've been working outside and want to warm up FAST. The ones at the farmhouse supplement electric baseboard heat, which keep the heated portion of the house about 40 degrees to keep pipes from freezing. When we go there and want to warm things up fast, we turn on the vent-free heaters. I like the ambiance of the gas logs in the stove, but the thermostat on that unit has never worked reliably, so for practicality reasons, including price, I like the wall units.

4. mldollins

mldollins Well-Known Member

5. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

The blue flame units have less odor than the ventless log unit. It's a pretty little yellow flame on the logs, but if you're not going to have a *real* wood fire, I'd just as soon have a blue flame.

6. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

They're safe. Just follow a few rules.

1. Get a heater with ODS (oxygen depletion sensor), which will shut down the furnace of the oxygen level drops to 18%. (most have that)
    2. Provide at least 50 cubic feet of home volume for each 1,000 btu/hour of furnace capacity. That area must not be able to be isolated to less than 50 cubic foot/1,000 btu/hour with a door.
    3. Use a CO alarm.
    I use a 20,000 btu/hour ventless propane furnace as my primary heat source. This is my second winter with it. I'm really happy with it. Here's the one I'm using.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMFORT-GLOW-20K-PROPANE-WALL-HEATER-VENT-FREE-TSTAT_W0QQitemZ390023941619

Ventless has a few advantages.

• Efficiency of 99%+. (vented furnaces run at about 80% efficiency)
    • They are inexpensive to purchase.
    • Installation is simple & inexpensive.
    Ventless propane furnaces are much healthier to use than ventless kerosene heaters, and propane furnaces typically have a thermostat.

7. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Blue flame is fine. That's what I'm using.

There are two varieties of propane furnaces; blue flame and radiant. The radiant furnaces have the ceramic plate that glows red, and are said to be more comfortable in the immediate vicinity of the furnace. I've found the blue flame heater to be entirely satisfactory.

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I used 3 of them as my only heat source for several years before I got my wood stove. Mine are all at least 15 years old and 2 of them still work fine. I gave away the other one so I don't know if it's still working or not. One is a 5 burner thermostat controlled, the other 2 are 3 burners, turned on or off manually.

I just bought a thermostat controlled blue flame on clearance sale to use as a backup next year. It's still in the box so I can't say if I'll like it or not until after I hook it up and try it out next year.

I would not hesitate to use the ventless propane heaters. They have auto shutoffs built in that cuts off the gas supply if anything malfunctions, they are very safe.

The only problem I've ever had is to replace the thermocouple every few years. It's simple to replace and right now one costs around $10 at Lowes. I always keep a couple spare on hand cause they will usually go out on the coldest night of the year when the stores are closed.

9. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

We have a 20,000 btu that we use for back up if we are gone and at night if we don't get up to check the wood heater.We have used it for 5 years and had no problems with it other than a cleaning once in a while. The first year we used it we ran it for over a momth as the only sorce of heat and although it wasn't really cols a 100 lb tank lasted over a month keeping the main part of the house at 70 degrees. Sam

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Glad you posted this.I have two that I run when it really gets Cold.One I'm not really happy with,but I'm thinking of getting one with a Blower,I think it will do better.But anyway I'm running off 100# Tanks.The way it is they last about 3 months.

I would Love to be able to get a Large Tank back here.But with the economy I might ought to rethink this and get my Boys to cut my wood.

big rockpile

11. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

We have two we have used for 10 years three years ago we happened to notice the house seemed to be darker., Had to repaint the whole house even in the closets. Gas people said we needed to have the units cleaned did so and so good untill now and am presently repainted the house inside. These are freestanding heaters that have the gas logs and are really neat looking and we paid almost a thousand each. We are replacing with the brick type that just glow red when on. We have a small one of these in the bathroom and never had a problem, its been there 18 years. Ask again in five years and will let you know if this smokes up the house. Seems this is a common problem. with unvented gas heaters.

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter