Ventless propane heaters... comments?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by greg273, Nov 10, 2006.

1. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

I've been 'gifted' one of those heaters, and was wondering if anyone has any comments on their expierience with using them.

Its one of the older versions, that just has the flame. A "Glo-Warm" brand.

2. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

I know of a guy who installed one in his wifes office -- easy install and she loved it -- don't know what brand.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I have 3 or 4 and love them. A couple are the old "brick" type, one is the radiant type, and one resembles a fireplace with logs. The 2 newer ones have thermostats so they regulate tehmselves. The best part is its INSTANT heat and you dont lose any up a chimney. If you have ceiling fans running they work even better. All of them also work with no electricity

4. Ed_Stanton

Ed_Stanton Well-Known Member

I've got a fairly new model as a backup heat for the house. I've only use it once a year or so for a few days to a week when I've had to be away. It did the job and kept the house from freezing, plus a little extra when set on a lower temp so as not to burn too much fuel.

They do need a fresh air supply and being propane, it did create quite a bit of humidity when burned. Mine hangs on a wall in the basement and it had to have top, front and side clearances of I believe 18" or more. I'd have to read the manual to be sure on that, but there are clearances required. Anything flammable closer than that had to have a metal cover with a gap between the metal and the wood.

Also, so as not to void insurances, our building codes and my insurance company do not allow them in a bedroom and the unit MUST have a fresh air intake nearby. I also installed a good CO and CO2 alarm in the basement where it works and I would never allow anyone to sleep in the basement if it were on. You should read the manual for your unit plus check your area building code and maybe talk to your insurance agent to see what their policy is? While it may have been free, it wouldn't be a good deal if it wasn't legal, installed properly or voided your insurance.

5. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

They are just OK. All the ones Ive had (2) kind of gave me a hedache after a few hours running, even with the window cracked open per the Mfg. recomendations. Ok as a backup or occasional use, but not acceptable for a primary heat source in a home.