Ventless or vented gas heater

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by record_breaker, Sep 2, 2005.

1. record_breaker

record_breaker New Member

Would anyone recomend a vented or ventless gas heater for a primary heat source in a small house,
    830 sq. ft.?
    I've been looking at the 30.000 btu models
    Thanks

2. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

Definately go with a vented heater. Can't recommend a specific brand but definately go with vented. Ventless heaters will put a film on your walls and windows so you can imagine what it is doing to your lungs.

3. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Vented...and one that uses outside air for combustion

I've had good luck with Rinnai, they may cost a little more but work good

4. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

My husband is an HVAC tech and he says go with the vented. Ventless put carbon monoxide into the house. He said they are illegal to install in WI. Where are you located?

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We used a ventless freestanding propane heater for several months while waiting for our gas stove to come in from Ireland. We had no problems at all with it but it did make me a little nervous. I had carbon monoxide detectors all over the place. Never did set one off thank goodness.

6. record_breaker

record_breaker New Member

I'm in eastern Nebraska north of Omaha.
    Been doin alot of reading about these heaters
    and baseboard electric, but I'm a little scared of the cost of their operation, although my wifes boss swears by them.

7. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

When I bought the trailer I used to live in, we had a vented heater...the gas company refused to connect us until we got a ventless unit. They said that it was illegal in this state...did my homework and they were right! This is in Kentucky.

Jenni

8. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

One thing to consider is that ventless units convert the carbon monoxide to h2o through combustion. This can be a problem if you don't have good vapor barriers on your insulation. The humidity in the heated air can and will condense inside your walls causing mold/rot over an extended period. But if you were to use it occationally it shouldn't be a problem.

9. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Have to agree w/ Stan-we had a ventless in our living room, and the moisture was terrible! Rusted the ceiling fans, and caused mold around the baseboards...if you are going to use it heavy-go vented!

10. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

We've had both types.
    Never had a moisture or carbon monoxide problem with the ventless units. Seal went out on the a vented unit unit, caught the wall on fire, and we darn near lost the building - I got a good case of smoke inhalation by putting the fire out before the fire dept showed up.
    No more vented units for us!

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you get that mixed around backwards?

Generally vented is much better. Ventless deposits a lot of water vapor and a bit of bad stuff into the air inside your home. Depending on how tight your house is, this can cause problems. Many ventless are not designed for home use, only sheds. Depends on the laws of your state.

--->Paul

12. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I use "ventless" antique heaters here all the time--kerosene mostly and a 1920's Coleman radiant heater (burns Coleman fuel)--doesn't cause me problems but I leave the windows open a crack. Shouldn't be a problem with propane either--keep windows open a tiny bit for air and have CO detectors to be safe.

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................I've used A Dearbourne , ventLESS propane heater for years with NO problems. My living area is rather small , 16 x 40 . The only time that it ins't up too the job is when we get a very strong , cold south wind during the winter . I have it located in my front living area with an interior wall separating it from my bedroom area . My bedroom area is obviously cooler but that is as I like it to be as I can't sleep when it is too hot . People who live in oversize homes with central heat and air are going to come to the realization that they are wasting Btu's maintaining a constant temperature thruout several thousand square feet within their living area . :1pig: :shrug: fordy.. :)

14. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

We have a forced air furnace but only use it when it is extremely cold. The rest of the house we use ventless heaters. We've never had a moisture problem but with our house being over a hundred years old - it certainly isn't going to be air tight!! Now they do leave a film that you can see on the windows, but cleaning them takes care of that.

Ventless heaters are nice for peace of mind knowing that every btu of heat that comes out of it is heating your house and not going up a chimney!