Ventless Fireplace

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sweetpain, Dec 28, 2004.

1. sweetpain

sweetpain New Member

Ok this is strange. I recently bought as house with a ventless fireplace. Two things are going on.

1. If I keep the setting on low, the fireplace will shut off in about 15min. Even when I turn it back on it will only stay lit for about 5min unless I turn it higher. I have to keep it on high for it to stay on.

2. I have a major draft comming from the base of the fireplace where the bottom vents are. I can feel the air from the outside comming in especialy when it is below 30. This a ventless heater so there is nothing to shut right? I looked outside and there is no vent anywhere. The top of the roof where the chiminy is has shingles over it and there is nothing poking out the sides.

Any ideas?

2. sweetpain

sweetpain New Member

3. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the draft part may be where the gas line comes through the wall or floor possibly. The shutting off may be a faulty low oxygen shut off.

Ed

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Mine did the same thing. The oxygen shut-off safety thing would turn the stove off when it was on low. It is in a fairly small room and was just running out of oxygen. If I opened the doors into an adjoining room, it didn't do it.

On high, it would run longer. I wonder if there is a manual bypass when you set it on high?

I also figured out that my thermostat-stick-thing that is under the burner was too close to the burner and it would shut itself off (thinking it was warmer than it really was).

As for the draft.... no clue. Is it sitting in an old chimney now?

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am afraid of those things, I only like the ones vented, then I can feel save. I guess iam kinda nuts.

6. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

sweetpain, if you're in a manufactured home (mobile home), many manufacturers put air intake vents through the floor for the fireplace insert.

Most of the setup guys are too lazy to hook them up to the insert, so they draft cold air into the room constantly through the bottom insert vents when it's cold outside.

Some site-built homes also have through the floor vents installed under fireplace inserts.

Otherwise, as someone else posted, maybe the hole for the gas line or some plumbing in that wall may be too big and not be sealed up properly.

Bob

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

SOunds like you need to re-evaluate the install as the safety plans are kicking in. I have two different ventless gas heaters and have neither problem (one is a fireplace). Check the install and the purity of your gas.