Venting corn stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by travlnusa, Oct 11, 2005.

1. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We have decided on a corn stove. The units we are looking at are direct vent, like your cloths dryer. I would like to place it in middle of main living area where there is an OLD chimmney.

Can I run a direct vent up this old chimmeny? It would be about a 20 foot run to the top.

2. Arisshill

Arisshill Member

I just finished installing a corn stove. I had to purchase a 4' stainless steel liner, that went inside an existing 8" insulated stove pipe.

The installation instructions suggested that for long runs (over 10') 4" pipe should be run, not the standard 3".

The total length of run for the SS insert was about 21'. No problems running it, but it was $200CAN just for the SS pipe. The rest of the fittings for the stove were pricey as well.

Works like a charm though, and I'm looking forward to the cheaper heat for the winter.

The information I had said that the liner could come in contact with other materials (i.e. inside of existing chimeny), but you should check with the supplier of the materials for the manufacturers recommendations.

3. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

What is the purpose of the pipe anyway?? Does it actually carry smoke?? Or is it a venting system like a vented gas log would use? (Not smoke or anything hot....)

4. Arisshill

Arisshill Member

Yes, it carries the combustion products from the burning corn. Temperature is below 200 deg C.

The reason for the SS liner is that the exhaust has mositure to it, and is somewhat acidic. The acidity/mositure is the reason I put the liner into my existing chimeny.

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Can the vent be just put out a sidewall like a dryer vent? Or does it need to go up past the roofline so you have a good draw??

6. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

I vented my corn stove out the wall in the basement while my parents were able to vent theirs in the now unused furnace chimney - their propane furnace now vents with PVC out the wall. The guy who installed would not put mine in with the existing furnace chimney. The manufacturer would have the specs both ways. Our units have a small blower moving the exhaust over a second heat exchanger and then outside.