ventilation or draft?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PrepNut, Aug 15, 2005.

1. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

I have 2 little wethers right now, and we built a little hut to tide them over til we get the barn built. All the info I read about planning goat housing mentions being well ventilated but not drafty. How the heck can you tell the difference?

The way my place is situated, there is a prevailing breeze from the south, if there is a breeze. On cloudy days it can be chilly, on rainy days the wind blows the rain from the south, on hot days (like now) the sun beats in. In winter we get nor'easters with rain and/or snow blowing in from the north. So which direction should the hut, and the future barn, face. And how do I get ventilation with out a rainy draft?

--PrepNut

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

just put small doors for them to get through and allow them enuff space to move into a draft or out of it. if you can feel and uncomfortable draft then they can too.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

A draft is any breeze at all blowing across the goats. Ventilation is no breeze at all, but plenty of fresh air. We have winds from the east and west, predominantly. The shed door faces north. The shed is deep enough (12 feet) and the door small enough (3 feet) that there are plenty of places for goats to lay without a breeze blowing across them. The upper parts of the walls, where the rafters connect to the walls, are not blocked, so they get cross ventilation as well, but again the draft does not reach the goats since they're on the ground and any breeze is several feet up.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yep a draft is at body hiegth, like a draft coming in from under a door. Ventilation is above the head. Of course you have to take into consideration blowing rain. The barn floor should be nice and snuggly, with the two goats together in a dry barn floor they will stay warm, kneel down in their bedding, your knees should stay dry and you should smell no amonia. Now stand up, if you have to take off your jacket in winter even standing, it is too enclosed. If you have moisture on the inside of the barn it's not ventilated enough. In large barns continuous ridge vents are wonderful. Your goal is a cool dry brisk barn, not a warm barn ever. Ventialtion is even more important the higher your humidity is, and ventilation and air movement during the summer is a must out here in our weather. Vicki

5. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

Thanks for the great info!

I need to make some changes to their little summer hut, and I can plan their permanent barn better too. I'm hoping to do a 10 x 14 run in type, with an area for hay & stuff, a part I can use as a pen, and an open loafing area, with a partial or sliding door for wet weather. With a big overhang too.

Does anyone have links to pics or a favorite barn plan/layout? I found plans I like from Jamaica Cottage, but still looking for better ones.

--PrepNut