VENT! Trash collection "surcharge"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a chicken die -- not an unusual occurance as I have multiple birds. I am not particularly sentimental about my birds, I just bagged it & put it in the trash. As I recall, I used a PLASTIC feed bag (my grower comes in reinforced plastic bags that you can't even cut with a pocket knife) that was rather sturdy.

As far as I'm concerned, this is no different than me throwing out, say, chicken leftovers that I bought at the store. It's CHICKEN. It doesn't matter if I grew it or bought it on a plastic tray. So it has feathers on it ... I had it securely bagged and nobody needed to see it...

Apparently, the lady I contract with for trash collection WENT THROUGH MY TRASH and discovered there was a dead chicken in there.

And gave me a $10 surcharge for a "dead chicken in a feed bag."

I just left a nasty message in return that I refused to pay the $10, this was no different than picking up leftover chicken parts purchased at a grocery store, that I was quite irate that she went through my trash, that dealing with unpleasant trash was part of her job anyway if she's hiring out to pick up people's trash and take it to the dump, that I resented her going through my trash, and that would only be sending her the $20 usual charge, and that if she didn't like it, she could pick up their trash barrels and I would hire her competitor who charges $17.50 a month.

Grrr.

Am I overreacting? I never even really thought about this, but it's just a dead chicken. I used to bury them as fertilizer under the trees, but when it's 115 out, it's just easier to bag then and put them out with the trash.

And can she actually hold me responsible (like hurt my credit rating) if I refuse to pay that $10 and do as threatened and go to her competition? I've been less than thrilled by this lady's service to start with; she frequently leaves small bags behind and that means I have to get them OUT of the trash can, carry them back inside, and hold them for a week for her to come back so the varmits don't get into my trash. This is 1. nasty and 2. aggravating.

Leva

2. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Drop by the local daycare center and get some "loaded" diapers.
    She can't refuse them.

3. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

That's ridulous! In other words since I have found a couple of dead birds in my yard (songbirds) and she discovered them I would be charged $10.00 more? I put them in the trash bagged up in plastic bags from the grocery or Walmart. I would change collectors (if I had a choice) if that happened to me.

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I feel for you. She had no business going through your trash to see what you discard. We can put dead chickens in ours, in fact, the local guys put road kill in them, and dogs that are killed on the road. I love the diaper idea,too. When I worked at the nursing home, all diapers were discarded in the trash and taken outside to the dumpster. I also use my feed bags, at times put rotten eggs in them and then tie them in a plastic bag. I cannot beleive the nerve of that person. Do you have a local city council you can go to and get on the forum to vent? I find this works quite well for me, and I can get alot of explanations of why they feel I am wrong, but I have been right each time so far :) and it drives them crazy. Can you get a bunch of rotten eggs to put out? :p I am so mean!My DH now knows why I tear up all my trash, including my magazines and papers into pieces. They have to pick them up if they tear the bags throwing them on the truck.

5. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

She could send your account to collections if she was so inclined but if this is a small operation than she probably won't.

I really do not like the idea of her going through your trash so thorougly. Be sure to shred or burn any documents.

If she okays your not paying the surcharge I think I would just keep her until the current contract runs out and then go to the competitor for next year.

If she gives you a hard time then I would check the law on disposal of small animals and if it is on your side let her take you to court if she wants to enforce your agreement with her.

6. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Sure am glad they didn't go through my trash over the years!!! :D I've put everything from dead frogs and fish to dead chickens in a grocery bag and set it in the trash. Even a dead newborn kitten or two that didn't make it.

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Is this just a lady with a big ol' truck that picks up your garbage and takes it to the local dump or is she an employee of the "trash collection company" that your city or municipality has a contract with?

Did you sign a contract? Does she have your SS# and/or DL #?

Is "she" an actual company with an actual business liscense? If not and you didn't sign a contract and she doesn't have your #s then she has nothing to turn over to collections, does she?

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Wish I had a trash collector period.

9. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

It's just a lady and her teenage kids with a beater pickup and a flatbed trailer with 55 gallon drums bolted to it for holding the trash. The contract is oral, I've never signed anything as far as I can recall. If there is a contract (and I don't remember) there certainly isn't anything in it about a $10 surcharge for dead chicken disposal.

As far as "dead animal" disposal laws -- I'm taking the tack that this is NO DIFFERENT than disposing of chicken parts purchased at the grocery store. If it's illegal to dispose of dead meat in the garbage, then I guess I'd need to become a vegetarian if I wanted trash service.

And she's never done a good job of picking stuff up -- tends to leave a small bag or two of trash in the bottom of the barrel which A: the neighbor dogs then get in to or B: I have to haul inside (YUCK) until next week or C: get nasty-disgusting if it rains on trash day and she won't pick up anything that's "yucky" on the outside of the bag.

Oh, if the bags tear, she doesn't pick them up. We're supposed to use garbage bags that don't tear. Which is why I actually tend to use the feed bags -- they're a "rip stop" sort of plastic that is designed not to tear.

You know, on due reflection, I think I've been letting her walk all over me ...

Leva

10. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I've put a dead chicken or two in the trash when I couldn't bury them and nobody ever mentioned anything to me. I'd be ticked she's digging thru your trash. One law I read awhile back says trash at the curb is anyone's game so don't be surprised if you discover that in your locale as well. Yes there are the dead animal laws some places too but that doesn't give her entitlement to charge you!

To fix the problem with the $10 hanging in a balance I would definitely not pay it but try to let it go for a bit and let her continue to pick up at regular price with no chickens in the trash. Like her acceptance that it's been resolved without any money you owe her. Then just drop her and go to the next person and continue to chuck chickens in the trash if you want. On a verbal there's not much she can do and actions speak loudly on verbals. Chicken in the trash or not and 10 bucks or not I'd dump after a few months because she obviously dug thru it then had the gall to complain of the dirty dead chicken.

11. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

The thought of her going through my trash makes me go :eek: too.

Then again, we have to take our trash to the dumpsters four miles up the road ourselves.

However, I think I'd rather do that than worry about someone going through my trash so *thoroughly*. Seems like it took a lot of effort to get to where the chicken was at.

Come to think of it, I've tossed a few chickens in my trash can for "dump day" too...hubby's never complained. :D

12. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Without a previous agreement, whether oral or written, about surcharges she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. Also, it would cost her more than the $10 to report it to a credit agency, remember who pays them.
    Dumping animals in the trash is illegal in most areas, but enforcement is usual only for larger animals. However, I wouldn't care to make it known to any government agency that I had dumped an animal. Also, putting human waste, that is filled diapers, in the trash is also illegal. Disposable diapers have greatly muddied this issure however.
    I'd tell her to take a flying leap, the trash snooping is definitely disturbing.

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have a hole dug for animal carcasses. Lime and a few shovels of dirt works fine for the occasional chicken and dog or cat. The rest of my trash I burn. The glass, metal and other un-burnables get tossed in a big bin which gets hauled to the dump once a year maybe. I wash out the food containers so smell isn't an issue. I've got a big 55 gallon drum with holes in the bottom which I burn in. I usually burn once a week or so. Once every few years I have to clean the ash out of the burning barrel. That either gets landfilled or put in the dead animal hole. Maybe it is the pyromaniac in me but I find burn day a pleasant chore. Usually of an evening around dusk I'll take the trash out and burn it. I enjoy sitting there tending the fire and watching the sun set. One of the more peaceful homestead chores. Most everyone around here burns. I know very few people who have their trash picked up. No one in my particular close neighborhood anyway.

14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Strange as it sounds, your trash hauler has a legal obligation to go through your trash. And that's across the nation, without exception. Your trash must be proper, as in no meth equipment, no dead wives or children, etc.

Now, as a practical matter, almost none of them go through your trash. BUT...they use their eyes. So if a dead spouse falls out of a rip in the trashbag, they will report it and refuse to pick it up. Same with paint cans, pesticides, etc. The degree of sensitivity varies.

Many irregular things can be disposed of, but actually do require special ($) permits and such. Things like paints, pesticides, dead bodies and the like. True, most of the time they go to the exact same facility, but government mandated regulations spawn permits and fees to accompany them.

15. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

She probably smelled a hideous smell and checked it incase it was
    something like someone else said above or a pet or something. However, knowing that i don't think i could let anyone pick up my trash if i knew they were pawing through it. I've begun to either shred or burn sensitive stuff anyway, but still........

16. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Try a letter to the editor of the local paper will give her business a downfall if people know she is going thru their trash.

mikell

17. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Why is she going through the trash anyways? GROSS!!! Is she lookin for a snack? Come on that is weird. I know where we live when your trash is on the curb its a free for all anyone can go through it. I wonder what thier yard looks like I bet its full of 'treasure.'
    I'll bet ya they go through eveyones lookin for stuff and just happened to open that bag. We are not supposed to put dead animals in the garbage here either but I put them in bags.
    I hear ya on the chicken is chicken part its not like you threw a deer carcus (sp?) in there. I hope you get this straightened out :rolleyes:

18. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Once she picks up the trash..it's her to do with it what she wants. If she wants to go thru it she can and no one can stop her..she is now the owner the of the trash and in some place they are required to check the trash for things.

This is an excellent example of why you should be mindful of what you are throwing out...shred all paperwork pertaining to your personal business and only throw out things you wouldn't care if everyone in the world saw them.

Just wanted to add..she shouldn't be charging you a surcharge for the chicken since ppl do throw chicken parts away..but..she might be charged from where ever she dumps the trash..and if it's unprocessed ( like that's the best way to eat a chicken..USDA and all :) ) they may refuse to take it. Though I don't why...ashes to ashes dust to dust and all that jazz. :shrug:

19. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

[size=+2]FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, ALL THIS OVER TEN FREAKING BUCKS, PAYUP AND GET OVER WITH IT[/size]

20. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Ten bucks goes a long, long way in my pocket.

Handing it over to someone who doesn't deserve it doesn't rank high on my list.