vent free 'fireplaces'

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jenn, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

2. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Not bustin' your chops personally. I'm generalizing and wishing people would embrace natural products and processes.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can be blind to so many things. Where would the pollutants in a vent free fireplace go? [The room it's in.] Is it that efficient, that you can burn gas and suck all that in without ill effect? If the technology was that good you'd think they could use it in other things like cars and such.

I didn't know [think about] O2 levels, but, makes sense with todays ultra efficient house closures not allowing anything in or out. Todays houses are really too efficient, requiring expensive special air handling units. As far as the logs go....reminded me of something else. When your teflon coated pan wears out, where do you think all that teflon went? Lets' hope teflon is digestable.

I guess it's a good lesson about fake things. My general philosophy in life is fake things are not as good as real things. It seems every time we design something fake it has bad consequences.

As a builder, though, I see why these things are so popular. It's simply price and convenience. M-i-l has one and it would be messy to bring in wood and clean up the ashes. it takes effort to start a fire. it's dangerous. People don't want to be bothered with anything that takes effort.

I should e-mail her that link. She's OCD and germaphobic. But, if I did, it would really ruin her day.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We thought about getting one. It is legal in our county, but the building inspector told us that they are a bad idea. Also, if there was a problem related to the fireplace, your house insurance may not cover it.

4. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

[​IMG]

This is the greatest thing I ever had in a house! The study you reference is 1998. I put in a 2005 set of ventless gas logs. They're rated at over 99% efficiency. They burn well and without ANY odor (unlike wood heat).

I laid all the rock on my "Fake" fireplace. There is no flue or chimney. It was designed around the ventless gas log concept and we LOVE it.

Great, reliable, clean heat for the winter. Could easily heat the whole 2400 sq. feet of our tri-level home.

Heck, my logs even work with a remote control and can either burn full time or kick on and off by thermostat. 200 gal. propane tank lasts all winter. I've already re-filled for next year!