Venomous Snake Bites Poll

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Aug 11, 2005.

Have you or has someone you personally know, beenbitten by a venomous snake?

1. Yes, I received a dry bite.

2. Yes, I recieved a venom bite.

3. Yes, someone I personally know received a dry bite.

4. Yes, someone I personally know received a venom bite and was fine afterward.

5. Yes, I was seriously maimed by a venomous snake.

6. Yes, someone I personally know was killed or maimed by a venom bite.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This is a curiousity thing for me as I am an amateur herpetologist. When it comes to snakes there are so many people who experience panic or fear and when it comes to venomous snakes the numbers sky rocket. My personal experience with venomous snakes is that they give dry bites (bite without injecting venom) and may prefer dry biting (from my readings) when they are not startled. Venomous snakes use their venom for capturing prey. They need it to eat so wasting it is not ecologically smart. They do inject venom if startled, I would think, there is no time in those situiations to assess the target. It is impossible for a study to adequately cover the number of dry bites as opposed to numbers of venom bites because people who are dry bitten don't go to the hospital necessarily, people who are bitten can't always positively identify their bite as onefrom a known venomous snake, emergency personnel can't alays find the snake in question etc. I would like to see if there are people here with personal experience in this. I have been bitten twice by pygmy rattlesnakes. Both times were dry bites and both times were provoked by me because I was relocating them from my back porch to more appropriate habitat. I also have personal friends who have been bitten with venom from dangerous snakes they kept in secure housing (mambas and cobras for instance). Have you, or has someone you personally know, been bitten by a venomous snake? Was it a dry bite? When responding to the poll please use only first hand information. Tall tales abound about venomous snakes. I'm not trying to make excuses for snakes. They can be deadly and there are many tragic stories involving children. I'm just trying to find first hand accounts and information to prove or disprove my theories. I'm also just interested in natural encounters as opposed to anyone keeping venomous snakes as pets. Thanks. Edited to add: additionally if you are giving an account, please provide deatiled information. I often hear of children playing in the yard being bitten but as many times, no mention of the yard being clear and clean, child wearing shoes, child being educated on snake dangers in certain places, being supervised etc. are given.

2. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

An ex stepdad was bitten by a copperhead. He was splitting wood and disturbed a snake hiding in a pile of previously cut logs. He was out in the woods in a remote area, alone. Probably drunk too, or for sure drinking. It took him several hours to get medical help. He was hospitalized and released several times, eventually loosing his leg and dying within a year.

Halo

3. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see how many of us would answer that we neither have been bitten no know anyone who has been bitten. There is no such choice in the poll. My answer is none of the above.
    Things that people worry about can be pretty rare things...snake bites, poisonous spiders, turtle bites, lightning strikes, salmonella, trichonosis(sp?), crossed eyes getting stuck, West Nile virus, etc, etc. Hearing stories from folks may make the occurances true, but it doesn't make them common. ray

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

You're right Ray, that was a point I had pondered. I should have included that in the poll but I didn't think of it. I hope it is addressed in the posts.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

been struck three times. once as a small boy of 8. i was walkinng in the garden around the squash and peas and was hit in the calf by a copperheaed. was in the hospital two days no residual damage. again i was bit by a copperhead when i was 14 while traipsing through the woods with friends. I stepped over a log instead of onto and over it and received a dry bite. Jeans probably stopped it from being an actual poison transmission. Last time was in May of last year. I was puttin up a new fence around my chicken yard that I keep tie outs in and I didnt bushhog because my cutter was broke. So I was in knee high grass stringing field fence and felt a sting on the back of my leg and immediately thought fire ant then I saw a small ground rattler. I didnt get much as it just made a smalle sore about the size of a dime on my achilles tendon area. Shoulda bushhogged first and should have worn jeans instead of shorts. Considering all the snakes I caught and kept as a boy growing up its amazing I havnt been seriously hurt. My 14 year old has a timber rattler in a aquarium right now. He has had it about two years. Buys mice for it at the pet store.

6. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I work in a plant. Lots of steel structure and concrete. We are very near a river and have several ponds(holding basins). I was making my rounds and was struck on the boot by a small (18")copperhead. The boot stopped the fangs and the venom ran down the side of my foot. I've been bitten by a couple of non-posinous snakes while hunting.

7. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I've taken care of several patients with rattler bites: one was a professional snake milker (?). He collected venom for a living and had already been bitten several times. He said he just picked up the snake wrong and received a bite, but after he had milked it some. Required anti-venom, nothing more. Other patient was drunk and decided to "play" with his baby rattler. Wasn't as quick as he thought and required anti-venom and skin grafts after the area necrosed.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Seen a few. A kid was bit at my sisters by a rattler,they thought they would be like Steve Irwin(bad influence on stupid people),kid was 20 years old,morons!

BooBoo

9. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Are you theorizing the theory that a snake may selectively inject venom or not?

10. heather

heather Well-Known Member

That's interesting......you'd get arrested for that in Pennsylvania

My husband & I have hiked all over western PA including the mountains. Neither of us has been bitten by a copperhead or a timber or water moc or anything.....
    I have NEVER even seen a venomous snake in the wild!
    Husband has seen copperheads & mocs in the wild, but only time he saw timbers was doing work for the Game Commission going to round ups, etc...

11. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

None of the above.

12. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

When we lived in Arizona, an aide at my daughter's preschool walked out to check on her horses in the dark, barefoot. And they lived out in the desert. Duh. She was injected with venom but got prompt treatment and was just fine. She was a pretty large woman, and if she'd stepped on me I would have bitten her too.
    Another time we were at a dude ranch and the nature walk guide knew where there was a den and tried to show how he, and he alone was at "one" with the snake. Ouch. Don't know if he was dry injected or not...he went off to the hospital and hopefully the looney bin afterwards. So I guess the upshot of my experience is: Don't step on snakes and don't cuddle with them and you'll be fine.
    One funny thing I've noticed (kind of off the subject) is that unlike in the movies, horses don't freak out when they see a snake. I've ridden past rattlesnakes (and one gila monster) at least a dozen times and the horses didn't bat an eye. But I've ridden past pigs or llamas and had horses go ballistic. Go figure.

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

To an extent, yes. Snakes have two modes, if you will: aware and instinctive. An aware snake might be able to inject or not- they don't always inject. If they inject their venom into something they know they can't eat later, they've wasted their opportunity for a meal. When I've been bitten it was relocating them. I was walking with a venomous snake in my hand and got bitten both times on my thumb. My neighbor in Florida was bitten countless times by rattlers, according to him, none were venomous bites. IN instinctive mode, they react to a threat and inject venom. I've raised reptiles and snakes (not venomous) for almost ten years. I've been bitten twice by adults -including wild caught adults-and many times by babies (who freak over everything). I do think they have a choice and that might have already been proven in a university study, if I recall correctly.

14. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard this also. I've also heard or read that baby rattlesnakes may not be developmentally able to dry bite and may be more dangerous because of that reason. Have you ever heard this?

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

I have several friends who have been bitten. One was trying to kill a rattlesnake with a coke bottle, he spent several days in the hospital. Another friend was bitten while wading in a river, we made it to the hospital in time but he nearly lost his leg, so much for the idea a snake will not bite while underwater. One other friend was bitten when weeding her flower bed, not sure what kind of snake but she may loose the finger, she has spent several days in the hospital. My brother was bitten by a rarrlesnake, didn't go to the hospotal but was sick for several days. One of my college friends was bitten over 100 times by water mocassins, he was dead by the time we got him to the hospital.

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I don't personally know any humans that have been bit by a venomous snake, but have seen and helped treat a dog when I was a vet assistant. The dog had the classic double fang marks where the snake struck at a point between the dogs eyes on the head. The effect was a very swollen head! With fluids and a trach tube to keep the dogs breathing passage open, eventually the swelling went down and the dog was okay after a couple of days watching him closely. It was a pointer...a bird dog. Usually hunting dogs are at risk with snake bites.

17. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean kill, it was attributed to one snake. Biting and eating calves, or maybe it only happened once and the rumor grew from there. I always thought that cows would be too big, but i've seen some small new born calves that I thought well maybe,,. Also another way I used to try to debunk the rumor was by asking why the farmer/rancher would let the cows keep crossing there if there was some huge snake. I would think the rancher would go after it to kill it. But then I never saw it, so everyone was like yeah it hides realy good. :rolleyes: Usually rumors have some basis in truth, so I always wondered if maybe, just maybe there actually was a huge snake that had once upon a time taken down, and eaten a baby calve.

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

While working as a cop in arizona i was bitten twice in 20 years by rattler. Each time got anti-venom and thanked the man who was brave enough to milk those snakes! Now i live so high up on a mountain we do not have snakes :)

19. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Funny you would say that. I guess my palomino was more theatrical. As kids, we rode in the AZ desert all the time. Every now and then, my palomino would just jump straight sideways about 4 feet. Then we'd see the snake... sometimes venomous, sometimes not. Don't think it mattered to her either way. But, if I wasn't paying attention, I could have ended up on the ground so always remained "at the ready".

On the other hand, when I was even younger, my shetland pony could care less. He'd walk through, over, under anything! I had to watch out for HIM, instead of the other way around. :rolleyes:

20. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Tango,
    Sorry this is not in relation to your poll, but have you seen any research on the electrical treatment of snake bite?
    If so what and where?
    There was an article published several years ago but would have to do a bit of research to find it again.