Venison Ideas, Recipes, Questions, etc

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pistolsmom, Jun 7, 2005.

1. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

"Hi Folks" As some of you know my son shoots professional archery competition. He has been invited by a local county to shoot deer in their parks. The county wants the deer shot off as they are posing a hazard in the area. [ This is their theory and beliefs NOT ours.] This will all come down during the regular PA hunting season. Everyone in our family hunts and we normally get about 6 deer a season.....BUT....it looks like we could get an awful lot more this year. Venison is and has been our main meat for years. We cut our own. deer. We can it, make jerky, baloney, steaks, chops, burger, etc. We are planning on building a smokehouse......any info or ideas/recipes appreciated. Actually any venison recipes/ideas appreciated. And....if we were to buy a dehydrator to make jerkey.....do you have to freeze it after you make it or will it keep? Any ideas/thoughts/recipes/ etc appreciated!! Thanks!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Here is one of my favorite recipes. Hope you try and enjoy it!
    Salisbury Patties

1 pound ground venison
    1 package dry onion soup mix
    ¼ cup bread or cracker crumbs
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 ½ cups water
    1 can mushrooms

Use a fork and lightly combine meat, one-half onion soup mix, crumbs, and egg. Add a small amount of milk to aid in helping mixture bind. Shape into patties and brown in skillet in oil. Pour off most of the fat. Add remaining soup mix and flour. Gradually stir in water and mushrooms. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

3. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

You can use venison in any recipe that calls for beef if you remember venison tends to be a little drier. If you have a smoker or smokehouse, jerky is awesome dried by smoke.

4. I just happen to have eaten venison fajita's just last night. We still had one package left of sliced jerky meat so we used it to make fajita's. We used a packaged seasoning that calls for beef or chicken strips but we used venison instead.

Last week we had venison stew in which we used our last package of deer steaks. :waa:

Looking in the freezer I only have one package of ground deer burger left and it is still 3 1/2 months till deer season opens. :waa: I guess I'll mix it with a pound of beef burger, add a package of onion soup mix, and then grill some burgers over charcoal. Then I will be totally out of venison till next hunting season! :waa:

5. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

Can it or make jerky. If Bin and the boys turn the lights out, you want starve.
    Jerky, if done right in a dehydrator will keep indefinately without any kind of freezing. I keep mine in a ziplock bag to keep ants off of it. I found some in my car that had been under the seat in a bag for 3 years and it was just as good as it ever was. I don't know how long it will keep canned. My folks eat it up within a year and I start over.