Velveeta 'cheese' question...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by mamita, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member Supporter

as you know I've been stocking food like crazy for our own little personal financial downturn this winter. I'm good...pantry is GREAT. and we're still buying while the buying is good. anyway...hubster brought home groceries yesterday and there was Velveeta. he says it isn't refrigerated in the store, so until opened I can put in on the shelf. is that ok???? like most...we normally like natural cheese, but in the pinch......he said he remembers his mom making wonderful grilled cheese and such with Velveeta...so I'm good with it. that's my question, tho.......until opened....just shelf it? thanks!

2. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Velveeta doesn't need to be refrigerated until you open it, once opened it should go in the fridge.

To find recipes that use Velveeta try the Kraft food site: http://www.kraftfoods.com

3. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member Supporter

THANK YOU! I have to go...and was sooooo hoping I'd see some advice on this! :)

4. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

We keep a couple boxes of velvetta in the cabinet for emergancies and use it for a LOT of things..
    Grilled cheese sandwiches
    mac and cheese
    brocolli- mushroom dip
    quaso dip
    cheesy tuna casserole

5. babydumpling25

babydumpling25 Well-Known Member

I like to have velvetta and it doesnt have to be refr. till open then it will last I think it said 8 weeks in the fridge. It does good in alot of things. Have fun with it.

6. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Velveeta never goes bad because it was never good.

It's the candy corn of cheese.

7. menagerie momma

menagerie momma Well-Known Member

I'm glad I wasn't sipping a drink when I read that! LOL

I unfortunately, like both. :eek::D

Jessie

8. Chixarecute

Chixarecute Well-Known Member Supporter

Velveeta is the main ingredient in our favorite fudge recipe!

9. ayleeann

ayleeann Well-Known Member

I recently read (sorry, I don't remember where) that an unopened box of Velveeta covered with a coat of wax will last up to 3 years.

10. BethW

BethW My kids have hooves Supporter

LOL! I was going to post that it doesn't need to be refrigerated because it isn't really cheese.:D

11. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Velveeta is made up of MPC (milk protein concentrate) that comes from "foreign"imports, a way NZ dairy processors can bypass trade agreements.

Do a little research about the Fonterra company and their involvement in the poison chinese milk scandal.....might change you mind about using it.

12. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I did some research on that company earlier this month.

WHOA.... makes me look at fast food in a new light. :eek: (which I already didn't have a good view of in the first place).

13. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Candy corn good. Fire bad. What's that make cheeze whizz (a) in the little jar (b) in the squeeze nozzle can? String cheese (insert shudder)?? The name alone brings to mind all of the jokes I've ever heard about cheese binding. I think I'll go lie down for a bit.

14. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

I've got some "real" cheese waxed for long term storage, and a few loafs of Velveeta for long term storage. It's not what I'd consider best quality, but I'd eat it!

I keep mine in a cool dry place, unopened until we eat it.....after that we'll either eat fast or put it in the fridge.

15. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

Would anyone have a recipe for making your own Velveeta? I have eaten Velveeta for forty years and really liked it when I was younger but I don't think I will eat it if it is made with China products.

16. SageLady

SageLady Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep mine in the refrigerator just cause it melted one hot summer day in the cabinet.

17. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Velveeta Cheese

1 1/2 pounds grated Cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups very hot water, divided
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon instant dry milk
    1/2 envelope unflavored gelatine (1 1/2 teaspoons)

In blender, put 3/4 cup of the water, 3 tablespoons of the milk and 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatine, and whip until gelatine is dissolved. Quickly add to the hot mixture 1/2 pound of the Cheddar cheese. Whip until blended. Pour into an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Repeat this twice, until all remaining ingredients are used. Cover pan with more plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding. Keep cold and slice as needed.

Yields 2 pounds.

18. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

So will real cheese? :shrug:

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I recently tried some of that cheese in a spray can. I'd never tried it before. I always wanted to but my mother would never allow it when I was a kid. It looked so good on the cracker box. So anyway, I was strolling through the dollar store looking for cheap stuff the other day and seen cheese in a can and I had to try it. Even bought some dollar store ritz to try it on.

I must report that it wasn't very good. Not much of a cheese flavor and the flavor it did have wasn't all that great. I thought maybe the low rent ritz were somehow tainting the spray cheese so I stuck the nozzle in my mouth to take a hit of the stuff right from the can. The feeling of the stuff shooting out of the can was extremely creepy and quite unpleasant and the taste was still pretty disagreeable.

Maybe it was just low buck brand I bought and the kraft spray can cheese would be better. I doubt I'll be trying it again any time soon though.