veggies in shade question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kentuckyhippie, Oct 7, 2004.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm already planning my garden for next year and I would like to know if anyone can recommend any vegetables that will grow well in a partially shaded area. I have a very small garden area and part of it is shaded by the neighbors trees. Anyone got any ideas? thanks

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Does it get at least 4 hours sun?

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

My tiny garden is between 2 southfacing 3 story houses about 30 feet apart so I figure I get full sun from 11AM to 3PM but I grow everything. I do raised beds with very rich soil (years of leaf mulch and weed compost); the black dirt heating up quickly may help. Are they evergreens? That would make a difference.

katy

4. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

the neighbors trees are a mixture of cedar and a few oaks. The whole garden gets about four hours of sun early in the morning from sunup till about 10 or 10:30 then the shade covers about 1/3 of the garden and the rest of it gets a few more hours of sun. how much sun do things like cushaw or other winter squash have to have? or what about potatos do they have to have a lot of sun.

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I don't think potatoes require much sun since they're a cool season crop but they do need "room" and tree roots could interfere. Maybe plant them in huge pots or 5 gallon buckets? As for squash, I'm no expert but the pumpkin vines wandering under a fig bush are producing better than blue hubbard in the "pristine" garden. The 1st 4' of main stem pumpkins is in full sun but the rest has tangled under the darkness; I neglected to head off the miles of vines so my results are late and limited but my best fruits are those peeking out from under the ficus canopy or hanging on the grape arbor.

I'm thinking lettuce, peas or cole crops for your shadier area with maybe some well-trained viners...

katy *who bumped this so someone smarter would answer* :haha:

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

From "small space, big harvest":

Partial Sun: beets, carrots, cauliflower, lettuce onions, parsley,
    peas, radishes, spinach, swiaa chard

Full sun: beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, corn,
    eggplant, muskmelon, peppers, pumpkins, summer squash.
    winter squash, tomatoes