veggies for a soggy spot in the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Irish Pixie, May 22, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

One spot in my garden is soggy. Is there any veggies that like to grow in soggy areas? It's not a big area but I'd like to get some use out of it.

Stacy in NY

2. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

Its not a vegetable- but sunflowers would work. They used to plant them in the low areas of holland to dry up places.
    If you get the multi-branching kind they'll be low so they won't block out any sun for other crops.

Young just about readyto open flowers can be sauteed and served over greens. The petals can be used to add color and a little spice to salads- and of course the seeds. To protect the seeds from the birds if you want to harvest, throw some netting over them.

3. Irish Pixie

Thank you, Rivka. The soggy spot is in a perfect spot for taller sunflowers too, they wouldn't shade anything.

Stacy in NY

4. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

Celery. It is originally a bog plant. Watercress, too. For the celery, make sure the soil is rich, too, and you will grow some very nice celery and I will be jealous.

5. boogeyman87

boogeyman87 Member

How soggy how about rice? :rolleyes:

6. Irish Pixie

It's not quite that soggy! :)

Thanks Idahofarmergal. I'll look up info on celery and watercress. I have a rather short growing period too as I'm zone 4b.

Stacy in NY