Veggie Garden Newbie - Looking for Website/Info?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Honeybee, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Honeybee

Honeybee Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am a real REAL garden newbie. And I don't have the greenest of thumbs either but I want to grow a veggie garden so badly!!! I tried last year and the neighbors cows ran through the middle of it and destroyed it all about a week after I got the seeds in.

I am going to try again this year and I was hoping someone might know of a site that tells you what to plant next to what? Or at least what not to plant next to what ;)

Does anyone know of a website like that? I've been unable to find one. My neighbor plowed the ground up for me, I've got about 25 x 80 to work with outside but don't really have room for starting seeds inside. Is that a real problem?

Thanks for looking, God bless,

Honeybee

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

what type of plant is a veggie that must be a new type of plant i know what VEGTABLES are and FLOWERS but never heard of a veggie?

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

James,

I found this definition of "veggie" at http://dictionary.reference.com/

veggie

n : edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant [syn: vegetable]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Honeybee,

You'll have better luck with your searches by googling for 'Companion Planting Guide' and/or 'Companion Planting Chart'. These two phrases bring up a lot of information. Good luck with your new garden.

4. My my James, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? Maybe you should go back and start over.
    Most of us "---------" are smart enough to know what a veggy is. Not all but most. Why not look it up??? You may learn SOMETHING.
    Don't go picking on others, your on the wrong board for that
    john#4.

5. Honeybee

Honeybee Well-Known Member

Thank you very much :) I had not thought of wording my searches that way. Sounds great.

God bless,

Honeybee

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Honeybee
    Go to google, type "free companion planting booklet" You will be supprized at how many there are.
    john#4

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you try being up for 36 hrs stait getting everething ready for some ones wedding then get screwed out of going because the bride and her mother are snobs from south of the border and the groom wants to just run around without helping, and to top it all off.not a soul remembers its your birthday ,so , yes i was a little upset getting .try thinking in my terms i am tired and ticked off that i could not go, and the grooms father treated me like dirt last night ,.

8. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I guess this could be classified as thread hijacking but I feel the situation warrants it.

James,

I feel so bad for you that the groom's father treated you like a piece of dirt. It's so sad that you put all that work into the wedding to not be able to attend and be treated so shabby, especially on your birthday.

A Belated Birthday Song To James:

Happy birthday to you,
    Happy birthday to you,
    Happy birthday Dear James...
    Happy birthday to you..

And Many More...

I hope tomorrow's sunrise brings you a better day. :dance:

9. violets

violets Member

Honeybee,

Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county should have it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They can tell you what the recommended varieties of vegetables are for your area and the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area. They'll have information on how to get started.

The following two images are excerpts from the Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf complete with spring and fall planting dates, how much to plant per person, etc. Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section (usually blue pages) of your phone book under "Extension". They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area from data they've collected from growing those crops in your state.

Violet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]