Vegetarians..I need your input please!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I should have made myself clearer.... just came inside and I am cold! I would like some info from those of you who are not only true Vegans( I hope I am stating this correctly)and who feed their dogs a totally veggie diet too.

My neighbors(total Vegetarians) have a new Lab pup..a really nice pup and their old Newfie has been suffering really bad skin problems her whole life. As they feed their dogs a complete Veggie diet too I am wondering if any of you nice people have any experience with dogs on this type of diet and how they have done with it.

I don't know if you can get enough of the right type of proteins with this veggie diet for a dog..can you? :shrug:

Thanks so much..appreciate your help and ideas. :help:

LQ

2. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

Last I knew dogs weren't herbivores... will be interesting to see the responses to this thread.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

That's interesting about your neighbors dog with skin issues. Our neighbors growing up had vegan dogs, with aweful skin- rashes and missing fur.
    As a semi-vegetarian, my pup gets a standard diet, as that's probably what's best for him.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago a good friend was the first real serious vegan that I knew, had a few dogs, and he fed them a lot of road kills. He didn't feel it was right to impose his dietary ideas on dogs that obviously were designed to eat meat.

6. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I know I'm not who you were looking for to answer your question but...

A LOT of vegetarians and vegans are not able to form human diets that contain enough protein and all the other stuff their diet doesn't normally include.

Most people are also a lot more familiar with human diets than canine diets. I have a hard time believing that the average vegetarian or vegan could form a diet that would be nutritionally equal to a dog's (wolf's!) natural diet.

I'll be interested to see what other people have to say.

Kayleigh

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

My old dog's first home was one where his owner tried to raise him on a vegetarian diet. The breeder bought him back when she saw what that woman was doing to the dog. She did permanent damage to his ankle bone development.

My husband and I are vegetarians. We do eggs and dairy, and occasionally (a couple of times a year) might have a bit of fish. Our dogs eat commercial dog food made from meat and meat byproducts. While our diet is healthy for us, I wouldn't dream of feeding carnivores our diet any more than I would consider feeding eggs (or meat) to our goats.

The dogs do like a little okara (soy pulp left over from making soy milk) as a treat, though!

Lynda

8. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

We are lacto-ovo vegetarians, but we feed our pets commercial non-vegetarian feed. But I have friends that feed their dog vegetarian (not vegan) and it seems to be doing just fine.

This site might be helpful:

http://www.vegetariandogs.com/

9. Mountaineer

Tell me you're kidding? Have you ever met an American with a protein defficiency?

10. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Why do people insist on treating animals like they are miniature humans? A dog is not meant to be a herbivore. Just because a person is vegetarian, why should they force an animal that is not meant to be one, to be a vegetarian?

Thats like feeding a cow a diet of hamburger and chicken breast.

11. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

Yes. I was a competitive runner in high school and college. A lot of my teammates didn't eat meat but didn't understand how to work their diet to compensate for it. When you are putting your body under the kind of stress that running 70 miles a week creates, anything that isn't "right" shows up that might not in your average person.

It wasn't that they weren't getting protein, they just weren't getting enough of the different kinds of protein that their bodies needed. Not every American is a steak-guzzling glutton. I am, but I've known lots of people that weren't. A lot of vegetarians and vegans plan their diet well. Some don't know how to and the lack of protein for them won't be half as dramatic as it was for my teammates. So, again, yes.

Kayleigh

12. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Our neighbors are also very much vegys. They got down to one dog (old age and and a car got the other two.)who lived on brown rice I was told. They are really great neighbors they were very understanding when I informed them that Yosi was not a tru vegy. That he was not a chicken killer he waited till we had plucked and began the chilling them. he ate or partical ate 90 dollars of chicken. Their dog really lives here most of the hours of the day.

We did try to keep him on his own turf but we were spending so much time call the neighbors and they were spend so much on gas we both worked out a deal. Yosi will be a vegi at his home out of respect for his owners and his owners will respect his want for meat at our home.

Hey it could have been a 'bad neighbor thread" but we worked it all out. The owners of yosi have pd his bill and he is a sweet dog. the neighbors will help us next summer with work at our place to even out the score. When we have to butcher we will take control of yosi to prevent another chicken feast.

we just dont have the heart to feed him brown rice when our guys (3 are his sons) eat kibble with warm chicken stock. We all just laugh at what a great father yosi is (note our Susie will be fix on a 50 50 c cost. so that there will be no more puppies) another side note a female dog can get preg will in side a chain link fence. We learned the haard way so that is just info to keep at hand.

13. millipede

millipede quack...

You can be a complete Vegan and get plenty of protein. But your average person doesn't take the time to find foods to meet all their needs. Our society is built on getting things fast and that includes food. But, the protein needs of humans can be met without meat.
    Dogs, I have no idea. I imagine it would be possible but would take a considerable amount of research and effort. I'm not entirely sure how a lack of meat would cause skin problems, but I'm sure it is possible.
    Only thing I could suggest is that they assess their dogs needs and see if they're not meeting them. While I do believe it would be possible to meet the dog's needs without adding meat, it might be the easiest way to just supplement its current diet with some meat or canned food maybe?

14. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

sil and bil are not vegetarian, but their dog is. He is elderly and on a diet prescribed by his vet. His health has improved dramatically, but then he is also on insulin and carefully monitored.

15. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

dogs are carnivore by nature and by design.
    I feed my dogs some veggies mixed in with their meat and kibble diet, but never to have veggies as the Only source. I suppose a dog could get by on an animal product diet consisting of less muscle or organ meats such as eggs and some dairy products.
    So, I'm in the camp of those who should feed dogs meat.

16. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Dogs are carnivores. Period. Feeding a dog a vegan diet is akin to attempting to raise a cow on pork chops and chicken.

Canines can survive on a vegetarian diet in the wild, but it is an act of desperation that occurs when no prey animals are available.

I can see being concerned about the contents of commercially available dog food. There are plenty of alternatives without attempting to turn a dog into a herbivore. If you want a vegetarian pet, then get one.Attempting to make a carnivorous pet into a vegan is cruel, IMO and defies logic.

17. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

My dogs asked me to pass on their condolences...

Dogs are designed to eat meat, preferably raw, on the bone, skin, hooves, etc.

18. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE for a human not to get enough protein if you are eating a varied healthy diet.... You do NOT need to eat meat to get protein. Vegetables contain Protein, Nuts contain Protein, practically all foods contain some protein. I believe the WHO says that a person needs 5% to 6% of their calories as protein.

Here are some percentages:

Nuts:
    Peanuts 18% protein
    Walnuts 13%
    Almonds 12%

Fruits:
    Honeydews 10%
    Strawberrys 8%
    Watermelon 8%

Grains:
    Rye 20%
    Wild Rice 16%
    Oatmeal 15%
    Brown Rice 8%

Legumes:
    Almost all are between 23%-50% protein

Vegatables:
    Spinach 49%
    Broccoli 45%
    Turnip Greens43%
    Zucchini 28%
    Cucumbers 24%
    Eggplant 21%
    Tomatos 18%
    Potatos 11%

About the only way you can NOT get enough protein is if you are eating mostly sugary processed foods exclusively. Now if you are a Vegan and doing this, then yes, you are putting your health at risk, but then again, so are so many meat eaters that are eating mostly junk food too....

Though I am mostly a Vegan (still can't completly give up my cheese :rolleyes: ), I feed my dogs raw meat and a high meat protein diet. I do what is best for my health, vegan diet, and try to do what is best for them and their health, meat diet.

19. Mountaineer

Beaners- I've spent my life surprising people that I'm an athletic vegetarian. It is simple to be a healthy veg. I have more energy than anyone else it seems. Back in the day (when you went to college?) misunderstandings abounded about anything that was different. Vegetarians are now the norm.
    Somewhere I have a list of Olympic athletes that hapen to be vegetarian. So the best athletes in the world can still produce on a veggie diet.

But as I said before- I don't think it's right feeding a dog a vegetarian diet. Dogs love veggies, they are definately on the omnivore side of things when it comes to diet, but they are predominanty a meat eater and their teeth/intestines prove that.

20. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Many, if not most, skin problems in dogs are caused by a lack of the proper fatty acids. A mix of 1 part codliver oil, 2 parts flax oil, and five parts sunflower or safflower oil, fed at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 pounds per day, will clear up most problems. (I use organic oils, keep the mix in the fridge in a pump jar, and put in a Vitamin E capsule as a preservative.)