Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Here's the list of vegetables from the next edition. I need at least 3 people to volunteer to grow each one - ideally, people from different areas of the country, so that we can see how brussels sprouts fare as a fall and overwintered crop, or so we can discuss tomato diseases in the North and South. So when you volunteer, *please include your location.* Thanks so much. I've put an asterisk on the ones I'm growing or plan to grow in my garden, but I'd much rather collect other people's data, so if you are in the Northeast and want to grow something I've starred, definitely sign up. When you sign up, if you know what variety(s) you are going to grow, please list them.

Thanks for your help! Here's the list:

Bunching Onions*
Garlic*
Rocambole
Elephant Garlic
Globe Onions*
Potato Onions*
Top setting onions
Shallots/multiplier onions
Leeks*
Pearl Onions
New Zealand Spinach
Wild Chicory
Asparagus Chicory
Root/Coffee/Magdeburgh Chicory
Endive/Curly endive
Escarole/Raddichio*
Witloof Chicory/Belgian Endive
Butterhead Lettuce*
Crisphead/Iceberg Lettuce
Looseleaf Lettuce*
Romaine Lettuce*
Winter Lettuce*
Vegetable Amaranth
Malabar Spinach
Spinach*
Swiss Chard*
Water Spinach/Ong Choy/Swamp Cabbage
Edible Chrysanthemum*
Brussels Sprouts*
Cabbage, early*
Cabbage, late/storage*
Chinese Cabbage*
Napa Cabbage*
Bok Choy/Pak Choy*
Chinese Mustard Cabbage*
Broccoli*
Cauliflower
Kohlrabi*
Sea Kale
Collards*
Pepper Cress/curly cress*
Upland Cress/Creasy Greens/Winter Cress
Kale*
Mizuna*
Mustard Greens*
Rocket/Arugula*
Turnip Greens
Tyfon*
Watercress
Asparagus
Cardoon
Celeriac/Celery Root*
Celery
Cutting Celery/Par Cel*
Celtuce
Globe Artichoke
Rhubarb*
Pole Peas*
Bush Peas
Snap Peas*
Snow Peas*
Bush Beans*
Pole Beans*
Flageolet/Horticultural/Green Shelling Beans*
Dry Beans*
Adzuki Beans*
Lima Beans*
Mung Beans
Rice Beans
Runner Beans*
Tepary Beans
Fava Beans*
Garbanzo Beans/Chick Peas
Lentils
Peanuts
Pigeon Peas
Black Eyed Peas
Crowder Peas
Green Soybeans/Edamame*
Dry/food soybeans*
Winged Beans/Asparagus Pea*
Yardlong Bean
Flax*
Rape
Safflower
Sunflower*
Potato*
Sweet Potato*
Arrowhead
Cassava
Kudzu
Taro
Malanga
Yam
Mangels
Sugar Beets
Eating Beets*
Burdock
Carrots*
Chufa/nutsedge/ground almond
Hamburg Parsley/Parsley root*
Jerusalem Artichoke/Sunchoke*
Jicama
Lotus Root
Parsnip*
Red Radishes
Daikon*
Wasabi
Sakurajima Radish
Lobak/Korean Radish
Black Radish
Rat-tail Radish
Rutabaga
Salsify*
Scorzonera
Skirret
Turnip*
Yacon
Zucchini*
Summer Squash/Crookneck/Yellow Squash
Pattypan/bush scallop squash
Pumpkins*
Butternut/Buttercup*
Hubbards*
Cushaw*
Kabocha
Banana Squash
Delicata Squash
Turban Squash
Tahitian Squash
Bitter Melon
Calabaza/Cuban/Indian Squash
Chayote
Fuzzy Melon
Lady Godiva
Spaghetti Squash
Winter Melon
Craft Gourds*
Cocozelle
Luffa
Cantaloupe*
Charentais Melon
Asian Melon*
Ananas Melon
Honeydew
Galia Melon
Canary/Spanish Melon
Watermelon*
Citron
Pickling Cucumbers*
Slicing Cucumbers
English Cucumbers
Armenian Cucumber/Snake Melon*
West India Gherkin*
Italian Eggplant*
Asian Eggplant*
Eggplant Collards
Ground Cherry
Martynia
Okra*
Hot Peppers*
Sweet Peppers*
Tomatillo/husk tomato*
Cherry Tomato*
Currant/Wild Cherry Tomato*
Slicing/Regular Tomato*
Paste Tomato*
Stuffing Tomato
Storage Tomato

Whew! That's quite a list (In order to help me collate the information, I've put things in even more categories than Carla has - that way we can be as specific as possible. I've also added a couple of fruits and vegetables not on Carla's list, to see if anyone is growing them.) As you can see, I need all the help I can get, so sign up! And Carla, I've sent you a couple of emails about how to approach this list, and not heard back. If I'm not getting through to you, please let me know - I finally went ahead and did it before everyone was totally done ordering seeds.

Cheers,

Sharon (Fearless leader of the Vegetable group who now needs a nap.)

·
Registered
960 Posts
We are in zone 8. We plan to grow Asparagus (Mary Washington), temdergreen improved green bush beans, Detroit beets, Waltham 29 broccoli, Bubbles (F1 Hybrid) Brussels sprouts, Golden Acre early cabbage, Pot O Gold carrots, Fordhook chard, Peaches & Cream Hybrid and Silver Queen Hybrid corn, maybe Seneca Sensation white, Burpless (F1 hybrid) long vined and Summer Dance cukes, Homemade Pickles short vined cukes, Black Beauty and Ichiban eggplant, Early White Vienna kohlrabi, Buttercrunch and Plato II lettuce, Fastbreak Melons, California wonder sweet peppers, Tyee spinach, zucchini-black summer squash, Alpine strawberries-Ruegen and yellow wonder, Celebrity Hybrid, Early Girl Improved, and maybe Pruden's purple tomatoes, Glory Sugar and Tendersweet Orange watermelon, Florence Fennel-Fino , Celeriac-large Prague, Cutting Celery-Afina, Snow Pea-Oregon Sugar Pod II pea, Anaheim, Early Jalapeno and Serrano Peppers-Chile, Tomatillo, Mung Beans and Broccoli sprouting seeds, Softneck type garlic, Jersey King and Purple Passon asparagus roots, Russet Norkotah, Kennebec, Georgia Jet sweet potatoes, Hale's Best Jumbo cantaloupe, Improved Virginia peanut.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello Sharon,
We're in zone 4 and at a higher altitude then I'm used to growing, so I'll be learning all over again. I have a list of what I plan to grow, but will have to get out my seeds to look at what varieties I have. I will post this information later, maybe tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it enough to grow the veggies as we usually would, or do we have to experiment with different methods, storage techniques, etc?

I grow a lot of squash, and many of the other veggies too. What is required, records (when planted, first harvest, peak of harvest, end of harvest?) weighing yields? Or just keeping a tally of what grew well and what didn't?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are just the things I haven't been able to get ahold of Carla about. Carla? My take on it would be that the more information you wanted to give the better, but it would be enough to say, "I grew Chioggia beets in Montana by the row method with manure and compost and they did great." More, even much more would be wonderful, if you are that sort of person. But this is Carla's book, so she'll have to settle this.

Sharon

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sharon,
I'll get these questions answered for you, it may take a few days as Carla is hard at work putting together all the gathered info. ;) Please have patience, as I've got a lot on my plate but am getting it cleaned up and organized as I type.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Carla said to pick out some topics to be part of and this looks as good as anyplace to start. We live in south central Nebraska. This year we will be planting Iceberg lettuce, snap peas, crowder peas, blackeyed peas, potatoes, carrots, radishes, pumpkins, watermelon, cantalope, butternut squash, cucumbers, peppers (quite a few different varieties) tomatoes (different varieties) hot peppers (different varieties) we also have rhubarb here. I am going to probably plant more veggies these are just the ones I am sure of. Would be glad to report on any of the ones I grow, just let me know what info you are wanting about each plant. Look forward to working with this wonderful bunch of ladies.

Rena

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm in zone 6, according to the map, but in a bit of a frost pocket, so I pretend I'm in zone 5.

Anyway, here's the list. For some of these, this will be the first time I've grown them, so I can't promise how well they'll do.

Globe onions
Leeks
Radicchio
Malabar Spinach/regular spinach
kohlrabi
late cabbage
watercress (this one could be iffy)
cutting celery
asparagus
pole peas, snap peas
pole beans, bush beans, runner beans, yardlong bean
black eyed peas
potato
sweet potato
mangels, regular beets
chufa, sunchoke (if they wintered over)
parsnip (if they wintered over)
turnip
zucchine, pattypan, hubbard squash
pumpkin
charentais melon, canary melon, banana melon,
pickling cukes
hot and sweet peppers
wild cherry tomeato, paste tomato, slicing tomato
salad mixes, which include mizuna, cress, leaf lettuce, mustards

Diane W (beaglady)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here I am, back from a trip.

Sharon in NY, I have not received any e-mail from you. Are you writing from the university address? Sometimes our automatic spam-screening program casts too wide a net. Please try re-sending everything from your home computer.

Here's what I need from all you grower/testers! Plant it, grow it, harvest it, use it. Hopefully, somewhere in there you'll be looking at the instructions I have in the book. Tell me, please, if something I said didn't work for you, or if you've found a better way to do things. Anything at all that comes to the mind of you, an experienced grower, to add to or subtract fromwhat I've written! This is true whether you're a grower/tester of herbs, grains, vegetables, or something from the yet-to-be-posted Tree chapter.
Carla

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in western Oregon. West of the valley, just beginning the mountain range. Not quite sure what zone it is :oops:

Here's my list of what I'm growing:

pole peas
garlic
onions
lettuce
pole beans
radish
tomatoes
potatoes
edemame (not sure yet)
pickeling cukes
zuccini
winter squash (acorn?)
pumpkins
craft gourds
peppers
beets

Whew! That's more than I thought it was :D ! As for the varieties, I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see what is available here, and look through the seed catalog.

I'm determined to use only organic and heirloom varieties this year! Yea!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I bet lots of folks don't even know yet what varieties they'll be planting. :? For me it sometimes comes down to what's on the seed rack the day I have some money. But I know what vegetables I plan to plant in general.

Maybe, Sharon, we could tell you our general garden list now and add info on varieties as part of the final post-harvest report???
Carla

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in zone 10 (WA State North Olympic Peninsula)

I transplanted my garlic yesterday from some bulbs that were coming up from the year before. They didn't do much last year and I left them in the garden. I pulled them and separated them keeping as much as the roots as I could. I ended up with over 100 new garlic plants. Took up 2 1/2 raised beds! I really don't have a lot of sun here as I have lots of 80-100' trees around my property so I'll have to keep you posted on how they do.

I did grow eating beets (detroit dark red) last year and the year before. Actually last year I grew seed and have a ton!!! It will be the test this year to see if the homegrown seed will produce. I believe it was an open-pollinated but I'm interested to know if my drying/storage methods worked. Again, another post at another time.

As far as other veggies, I'm planning broccoli, lettuce, peas, carrots, beans, zucchini, and brussels but for variety I'm not sure but want them to either be heirloom or open-pollinated. I am going to transplant some turnips that were kept in the store room that have started new greens. These will be for seed also.

Debi/ Shep

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Sharon and Everybody! I've got celery growing. In fact, I planted it in mid-summer of last year and one plant has survived through one of the mildest winters on record. I'd never grown celery before. So put me down for that one. Will our names be entered after the plants we volunteered to grow so we can see what's left?
Carla

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new list is coming right up, with names entered and categories listed - sorry, I've been kind of involved in my life of late and have been letting things slide a bit!

Re:Vegetable varieties and everything else - tell me whatever you've got whenever you've got it - I'll keep track!

So, is anyone starting seeds yet? It is a bit early, but I'm using some wall of waters this year, and doing cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets, so I started a few tomatoes - I needed to get my fingers back in the dirt (and all the dirt around me has four feet of snow on it).

Please feel free to chat about how your garden/seed starting/vegetable progress is coming. This will be a lot more fun if instead of you having to post very formal, scientific reports at the end of the season you just tell us all how things are going, what the weather is like and what you are trying this year. Who knows, everyone may have suggestions.

Cheers,

Sharon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all!

So far I've planted peas and radishes (and garlic). The peas are "Montana Marvel" from Seeds Trust. This is an heirloom variety so I'm planning on collecting seed. I'm trying to plant either heirloom or OP varieties (but not exclusively). The radishes are Burpee's White Icicle (probably a hybrid seed). One thing I do with some of my bigger seeds (peas, beans) is to soak them overnight before planting. The peas had been in storage since '98 (vacuumed sealed and in the freezer) so I wanted to see if they were still good. I treated them like I would sprouts and they did fine in the "almost" sprouting stage. Of course, after I planted them we got a heavy frost but I'm hoping they will be okay. Things have been warming up here lately.

One nice little trick I've picked up (somewhere) is using a small photo album (the small book kind) to store seed packets after planting. This was a god-send last year because I'm famous for forgetting what I planted (and lousy at keeping journals). I pull out the book and know what I've planted, and if there are any seeds still in the packets, they haven't spilled out anywhere.

I'm also planting in old tires again this year. Looks like we're going to be in for a drought this summer (not enough snow pack) and last year what I did plant in tires did very, very well even though I didn't water the garden much (didn't grow much either!) This week, I'm "hoping" to get my lettuce, chard and spinach in tires.

The resident ducks are going a bang-up job in the garden keeping the grass down and getting all those emerging slugs! I am realizing that the raised beds have to be a bit higher though (at least 2 tires high!) :D

Well, there's my morning dissertation so until next time.

Shep

·
Registered
41 Posts
My husband started cleaning off our garden spot yesterday, so it won't be long (I hope) till we start planting our garden. I Will post what we plant and how it goes. I don't have the chapter for the 10th edition but will go by the 9th.If I get the 10 edition it would be great. I do know that we will grow garlic(already growing) and onions(from onions that started growing in the house). Elizabeth1 :D

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Howdy....I will help for zone 6 in the tip of Oklahoma over by the Ark. border. Some of Ok is in zone 7, but we are in 6.....

I will be growing Malabar spinach this year and saw it on your list. Also.....

M. Wash. asparagus(already have a big bed of it) It is important to keep the grass from growing in your asparagus bed. We mow over the bed in late winter to remove the rest of the growth from the previous year and then dump a load of well composted manure over it.

Surecrop strawberries(already have those too)Strawberries love a little acid soil...so spread your ashes on them during the winter. Don't fertilize them while they are blooming though or you will get mushy berries.

tomatoes of lots of varieties...heirlooms that I grow include brandywine, yellow hugh's, amish paste, boxcar willie, ark. traveler, and can't remember the rest...heehee... I start my maters from seed in the side porch that faces the South. If it freezes outside I put a little heater out there to keep them warm. Maters love manure tea and when I set mine out I do a couple of things first......I dig a hole with the post hole diggers, put some compost in the bottom of the hole, followed by a small handful of fertilizer( I just use triple 13 or rabbit poo), then put the plant in and cover with soil. If I have enough milk jugs or coffee cans I plant inside those with the tops and bottoms cut out. To keep cut worms off I usually put either a match stick along side the baby plant or a nail....the match stick will rot and I don't have to go back and get those later, the nail is more of a pain for the tiller. I use neem oil spray for pests. Something that helps me to save my little critters that are good.....I wash off the plant well with a hose and then spray the neem oil on there. When the good bugs get on there they won't die if they don't eat the plant..only the bad ones do. The neem oil is considered organic by most people...but some don't like to use it. I also plant a marigold between each mater plant.

The other varieties that I grow of maters include beefsteak, delicious, rutgers, early girl, big boy, and can't remember what all....We love our maters around here!!!! I start them all from seeds and still can't resist the others from the store when I see them! I always plant about a hundred plants and sell the extras at the farmer's market or give them to friends.

Peppers including bells, anaheim, jalapeno, and cayenne I start these from seeds too. Start them early because they take forever to germinate! I treat them very much like maters except they don't need staking. They will cross so if you collect your seeds the second generation will be different.

bunching onions and keeper onions I just planted onions today(March 22). I could have started them earlier but it has been very wet. I plant these with swiss chard or another one of the lettuce or brassica family.

sweet potatoes I start my sweet potatoes from a couple that I save from the year before. I just put them in a glass of water and cover half way up with water. When they start to root and make a plant.....you can use those "slips" to make a new plant. They can't take it cold and the little potatoes form along the runners. Different then white spuds.

white potatoes....probably kenebec...those are the ones that I usually get. I plant my spuds in compost that has been well tilled and then I just lay them down into the dirt and cover them with a heavy layer of straw. They grow up through the straw and when they are done I just peel back the straw and there they are! Easy!

red potatoes....red pontiac usually These are great canned to use during the winter for stews or for augraten..however you spell that. I scrub the skins off of the new potatoes instead of peeling them...then can the little ones whole and the bigger ones cut up into inch chunks or so. EASY way to have a fast side dish! Pretty good drained and fried up with bits of bacon or some onions. I grow them the same as the white ones.

broccoli (waltham and can't remember..will check) One thing that helps with broccoli and the other brassicas is to cover the small plants with a sheer curtain or row cover until they get larger. The bugs and worms will not be as numerous that way. The little white butterflies that lay their eggs on the leaves can not get through the sheer and the curtain gives it a little cooler environment. I have a large crop that I start indoors in January and then set outside to harden off in March and then put into the garden in April. If it gets a bit spendly just plant the plant a little deeper. I find that hardening it off for a couple of weeks makes for sturdier stems though and there isn't as much need for that...

brusselsprouts(bubbles)I treat my brussels sprouts just like my broccoli. As another comment.....All of the heavy feeder veggies love manure tea. My favorite kind is rabbit poo tea and that helps make lots of sweet tender sprouts and also huge heads of broccoli

cabbage(will check I only planted a couple dozen plants)The sheers are almost a neccesity if you want wormless cabbage around here. I find that when you start to see the little white and lavender moths then you better have a cover over your brassicas. It helps shade them in our harsher sun and also keeps them pest free. I have found that a side dressing of mulch works well to keep them from splitting as well as the manure tea for larger heads.

carrots(danvers) They have to be kept moist while they are germinating. You can put a board over them or just put straw over them and when they start to sprout kinda move the straw aside to let them have light. Mine overwinter very well and I think they taste better with a freeze.

beets(detroit dark red and also some new ones that I am getting from Paquebot on the cooking and crafts forum) When I thin my beets I just replant them somewhere else in the row. I also plant my beets in big blocks rather than rows. I plant them very very early spring...really late winter and then cover them with a sheer curtain to keep them from drying out and helps them to germinate more quickly. I have tried plastic and it can sometimes make them moldyish...so the sheer works better and they still get enough light to germinate well and grow. I kinda plant them in an indented spot so that I can flood the spot with water and makes for more tender beets.

green beans(blue lake bush)I plant my green beans along side my corn to help them both. I never water the tops of my green bean plants because they tend to get scorched by the sun if the leaves are wet during the heat of the day. My neighbor and I have the great bean tail debate each year...LOL! She leaves the ends of her's on when she cans them and I take the tiny pointy ends off....no difference really...but it gets pretty comical when the two of us get together to can each year!

okra(some heirloom okra that I got from a friend that produces when it is short and keeps on until it is only about 5 feet tall, great stuff!) Okra is one of those things that has to be planted when it is warm out. Grandpa used to say that if it was above 50 at night it was time to plant okra. It is one of the easiest things to grow because it really doesn't have many pests. Keep it picked so that it will continue to produce well.

butternut squash, a great keeper. I mulch mine well and leave them on the vine till the vine dies back. I have some in the basement from last year still good! I plant radish seeds along with my squash plants to deter squash bugs. It is not fool-proof, but really helps.

cushaw , these get to be whoppers! The best for canning and you get soooo much for your money! Water these well because they seem to need more water than other squash. At least mine do. Probably because they are such huge veggies!

cantelope, probably hales best jumbo, the only real problem with cantelope are the squash bugs that bother it occasionally! If you don't want the bugs to bother the bottom of your melon then place it on a peice of heavy waxed paper or something and it keeps it from rotting on the bottom and from the little roly poly bugs and other stuff that like to attack from underneath.

watermelon, sugar baby I have yet to figure out a fool-proof way to tell if the watermelon is ripe. I was told by some to watch the curly q to see if it was shriveled up and by others who said the bottom white patch would turn yellow. The shriveled curly q probably worked the best. I waited for it to shrivel and then gave it a couple of days and then picked it.

spaghetti squash This is a great keeper too! Squash bugs seem to like it so watch for them and treat with neem oil or some other natural spray or better yet....just keep a very close eye on them and squish them as they come on there. Early in the morning is the best time because they move more slowly then!

leaf lettuce(both ruby red and black seeded simpson) I plant this very early and then to harvest I go out there with my scissors and whack off what I need for the salad. It grows right back.

head lettuce(including buttercrunch and iceberg-my hubby's idea- never had much luck with it before and he likes the stuff! ;) ) The stuff that I have in the cold frame and that has been out there all winter....is forming heads(iceberg). It took it forever though. I don't think it works well in this area...but if you give it all winter it works. Buttercrunch works well both spring and fall. I have done both for years. We love salad and I like to have some going all year long.

spinach(bloomsdale)Spinach doesn't like acid soil so you have to be careful with it around here! I side dress mine with lime and it works pretty well. I pull off the bigger leaves and leave the little ones to get bigger. It lasts longer that way. If you live where it is hot you can make a shade tent for it out of sheer curtains and then you get a longer yield without it bolting.

zucchini (whatever is cheapest at wallyworld..heehee)Plant radishes and let them go to seed in the middle of your squash hills. The bugs will be deterred. I planted them in tomato cages a few years ago when the garden was jam packed and it helped to save space. Also kept them off the ground and they didn't get that fuzzy stuff that they sometimes do during a rainy season.

yellow crookneck and yellow straightneck I pick mine really little because we love them just barely stir fried! Again....plant some radishes with them to deter bugs

turnips. Love those turnips! Easy to plant and we steal the greens until the turnips get big enough to harvest. I still leave a few of them all season so that we can have the greens.

chard(love that rainbow swiss chard!) Just planted mine today(March 22). I noticed that some had reseeded and was up in some funny places throughout the garden. It will also overwinter and readily reseeds for me if I let a few go to seed. The red chard seems to come up before the other colors.

collards(vates I think??)These are easy to grow like the turnips.
They like the cooler weather and we sometimes will plant another crop in the fall.

and I think that is it for now....don't really remember what all there will be out there. I do have some neato okra that grows on a fence...vining okra. I want to try that this year if I find out it won't cross with my other okra. I will also be growing some special soybeans for an Indian friend of mine. She has some seeds that she brought over with her on her last trip to India and wants me to try growing some of them for her.

So....anything of the above that you want to know about.....that is great! I have grown most of it for 20 plus years and have a huge garden every year! We can and freeze it all and grow enough veggies for the year! So....just ask if you need any info....be glad to help! God Bless all! Nan

OH....p.s. I looked back through and forgot several...sorry

Cucumbers(how could I forget cucs! We pickle about 40 quarts a year of those critters...we love Marketmore 76. When they are small they pickle great and large are wonderful slicers!) I have planted them on both a fence and in tomato cages. I prefer tomato cages. I make a big round hole within the concrete reinforcing wire cage and then plant around it. Place a milk jug with holes in the bottom in the hole and then when I water them I can put the water in the jug and it gets them watered more deeply. They can't stand to be dried out. Mulch heavily. I put a scoop of rabbit poo in the milk jug and then when I water it they are fertilized at the same time..kinda a time released version on the cheaper side...heehee!

garlic...I have both the small and the elephant. I don't know the exact variety of the small kind because an older woman gave me both! The elephant garlic takes a couple of years to get large enough to use and to separate into other plants. It is much milder, but is very good.

purple hull peas(known as cowpeas around here)I plant these on the side of the corn...with the green beans on one side and the purple hulls on the other. These are vining and need a bit of support. Very easy to shell when they get larger . Just kinda squirt out the end. I now have a pea sheller and so it is easier still!

radishes(iceburg and whatever the cheapy ones are at wallyworld...I grow them in each hill of squash to deter squash bugs!)

rhubarb..the green variety..have had it for several years now and it is very prolific! My cat loves to hide under the leaves too..LOL! I bought the seeds from Wallyworld in the cheapy section and boy have they been good ones! They are not the pretty red colored ones and you have to be super patient for it to produce from seed...

sunflowers..several different kinds. During the winter I put a sunflower out for the birds about once a week. Good to plant them by your shade loving veggies!

new zealand spinach, great stuff. Make sure you mulch it well because it doesn't like to be dried out. It will reseed if you let a couple of the plants go to seed.

banana squash

delicata squash

eggplant...I think it is called black beauty...I always get the packets from Wallyworld for a dime and they are great! I start them at the same time I do my tomatoes and peppers. They are about an inch tall so far!

Now...I think that is it..but I am sure that I have forgotten something...OH...did I mention Corn? I grow Bodacious sweet corn and have for years! My favorite! I plant three, 150 foot rows. It is wind pollinated and so to make sure it gets pollinated well I make like an airplane and rake my arms gently over the tops of the stalks. I have found that if you plant it early enough and harvest it when it is ripe and not let it get toooooo ripe then you have very little problems with worms. We parboil our shucked, silked ears and then run them through cold water then straight to the freezer in ziplock bags. I get the canners to boiling before we even go out to pick the first ears. That way it goes straight into the hot water and the sugar is set. Of course we eat our share of fresh corn too and I snitch a few raw ears every morning just to make sure exactly when it is ripe....heehee! That is what I tell the kids when they catch me anyway!
Now.......I guess that is it....LOL! I always seem to find a packet of seeds that I just can't resist though..and in it goes!

again....God Bless all! Nan

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hope readers all understand that a TESTER doesn't need to be a full-fledged member of the Vegetable group to sign up here. Just having once grown, or currently growing, or planning to grow one of these is good enough. Even living where they grew and gathering them wild or watching other people work with them means you probably know more than I do! So be bold and SIGN UP!!! Share the wealth of your experience!:D
Carla

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
ive got egyptian onions ive grown for 5 years, im still trying to figger them out, they produce the new sets quite prolifically [anyone want some?] they are available commercially http://www.rhshumway.com/detail.cfm?SKU=04585 I recieved a free catalog from them http://www.rhshumway.com/ which has descriptions and more variety in a couple of categories than the website.

Mine egyptian sets came from a friend, they do tend to take over any spot you put them in, i thought they would be more liken to green onions, but the main stock gets really tough when it sets a new bunch of babies out and is hollow and almost woody, the flavor is really good though so ive kept em around and gave as many away as I can find people to take them as they grow [I beleive it is kinda like zucchinni.... if you leave your window down when the get ready people tend to leave them in your rig in a small town. As far as i can see they dont keep more than a few dayz after picking so you need other varieties for the winter.

I am gonna grow mangels this year for chicken feed supplement Since the 9th ed claims that chickens love them for feed [just cant see a chicken swallowing a mangel but oh well we will just have to see] ;-)

WE had no snow til 3 days ago and now we have 8 inches of really wet snow [was 12] enough to drive a person to cabin fever and back.... was almost ready to start the spring tilling again.
This year planting will consist of several staplesfrom over the years: yellow corn, Blue and red corn for drying, beans, peas, beets, carrots, spuds, tomatoes, squash and a few other things maybe as the weather permits. along with the herbs that surivived the winter too.

I saved back brocoli seed from last years plants and will start those at the end of the month. My spinache may have overwintered if the deer did not kill it last fall from which i can get seeds from this year.

I will look at the various listings for growing and get back on the way mine grow.

edited portion below:

ok after posting this this morning i was searching for something and found negative feedback about RH SHUMWAY on the site http://gardenwatchdog.com/ at http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/228 but i have not had any dealing with these people so i can not coment either way. just some added information

1 - 20 of 159 Posts