Value of sawmill and syrup mill...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have an idea what a one man sawmill would be worth? And a syrup mill?

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

The sawmill would totally depend upon the type, manufacture, the condition, and the area....

I bought mine in 1986 for $6500, put about $1000 extra into it to get it running good, it is a mobile demension model 127 circle mill, new a person would pay about $25,000.00 for it right now, and that is about what i would sell it for.... I have put new parts on as ones wore out, and put about $150 for drive belts on it about every 6 months of running.... the only thing i havent done is paint it new, and ive considered that, but a dupont overhaul would help it saw any better......

most companies that build sawmills have websites with new prices available.....

and if i sold my sawmill..... i would probably get another one, cause i like what it does.

William

3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

For some idea on the sawmill price, visit the following link:

www.sawmillexchange.com

No idea on the syrup mill price, and yours is the first mention of buying/selling one I've heard in years. I'm glad to know they're still available.

Good luck.

4. Swampthing

Swampthing Well-Known Member

How much would you want for the syrup mill?

5. Ravenlost

I don't know Swampthing...that's why I asked here. My Daddy passed away last week and we've decided to sell a lot of his stuff. Mama sure can't use it and none of us kids have a need (or the room) for these things. I'll have to talk to my brother next week and get more info on the size/manufacturer/condition etc. on the sawmill and syrup mill.

We will also be selling his 1961 Studebaker flat bed V8 truck. It's in pretty good shape...was refinished a few years back.

6. Swampthing

Swampthing Well-Known Member

If you put it up for sale please pm me. I'm gonna be in Booneville in a couple of weeks, is that far from you?

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Were it me, I would hold both items until a large consignment auction came up with attracts a lot of Amish and Minnenites. They do a lot of small sawmill type work and might be your best target market for the sorgham or cane press mill. This is based on the assumption it is a syrup press rather than 'mill'.

There are currently some small, portable sawmills on eBay. Just do a search on sawmill and request ranking by highest price first.

Added: One of the two consignment auctions in Mayfield, KY in the early spring might be an excellent sales opportunity particularly if you contact the auction company (name escapes me but they are in Fancy Farm) in advance so they get on the flier.

8. Ravenlost

Ken...that's what I'm thinking. There's just so much stuff (Daddy was a packrat) that an auction is a good option. There are trucks, tractors, bulldozers, etc. plus farming equipment/tools.

Swampthing...the syrup mill is in NW Alabama. I'll let you know when we decide to sell.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Call the Farmers' Exchange at 1-800-247-7318. It is a free monthly going out to many of those in the ag business in the Southeast primarily. Usually lots of listings for consignment auctions. However, with that much stuff you might want to have an on-site auction, using an auction company which sends out fliers to the past buyers in your and surrounding states. Don't use one who will just advertise in the local area. Make them earn their commission.

10. Ravenlost

Thanks for the info Ken!