Value of Old greenhouse frames?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chriswicks, Apr 25, 2006.

1. chriswicks

chriswicks Member

You guys have been very helpful, I love having a place to bounce ideas around and get some extra input. After some discussion here I was able to see that cordwood raised beds may not work as well as I envisioned. Just wanted to say thank you. But now I've got another question for y'all.

For many years I've driven by a old closed nursery, well I got ambitious and through the town I located the owner. Side note, most town clerks are the helpful people and if they can't answer your question they will get you in the right direction. But after some talking with the owner he told me to figure out what to offer and he would consider selling me these old greenhouse frames.

The two of most interest are a 18'x20' metal framed roof with 2'x4' walls. In the quotes is the basic style roof it is ( ^ ). The other one is 13'x15' with this stle roof ({ ), just picture that symbol on its side. The plastic is in rough shape but some could be salvaged and the 2'x4's are weathered and maybe useable for other projects but should be replaced. There is some over head sprayers that might be salvagable also. Most of the items on the property have seen better days. I'll try to get some pictures to help show what I've described.

Well to the question finally, roughly what would the value of these old greenhouse roofs be? Mostly what I've found when trying to search online is full greenhouses or hoophouses. So what do y'all think?

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I would have offered him removing them for free. As you go to dismantle them you will probably find that some of it is not salvagable or useful if it has been sitting out in the weather for years. You also have to figure in the value to him of getting the site cleared.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

3. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

You are probably going to be better off either purchasing a heavy guage frame and covering it yourself or building your own. Like Mike said: Once you get in the thick of de-constructing these things, you'll probably find many portions can't be salvaged.

I have two greenhouses. A 20'x40' and a 26'x85'. The big one is a steel pipe hoophouse type, made from 2' steel pipe. Be bought this used with no cover, a ton of pots, fans for both ends and hot water heaters for $1000. The 20'x40', we built ourselves for just over $3500. The roofing is pal-ruf 20 year guaranteed corregated UV resistant clear plastic and there is no side covering.

Even though I doubt it, maybe those numbers can help you somehow. For some ideas, the 20'x40' is made using landscape timbers as the legs/walls and PT 1"x4"s for the trusses. The 1"x4"s have blocks glued and screwed between them, giving them a 1 1/2" gap between them. This makes a good beam that resists warping (to much). The roofing can be found for between 13 and 20$'s for each 2'x12' sheet depending on where you are.

There are many, many ways you could build your own. If you just wanted the roof structure of the metal framed 18x20, I personally wouldn't pay more than 200$ for it unless it was in absolutely awesome shape and was compatible with todays coverings.

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Green house panels are expensive I would offer him $5 each for any good ones you are able to dismanltle intact as long as they still have 10 years or more life in them.

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree pay after you see what you can salvage with built in counting on your labor- offer $5/ per like jnap said- might be too late to offer free removal. I just sold my intact leanto GH with safety glass for £50 ($90- cost £800 4 years ago) they removed it- and tho small it's in excelent shape compared to what you describe. Took them/me about 18 manhours to remove, and it's still in little stacks in their backyard now.

6. chriswicks

chriswicks Member

Thank you everyone. After some research and the advice here I think I'll go with an offer of $200, for the 2 metal frames and offer the remove the wood for free. I've found that wood is well worth the man-hours needed to dismantle and clean. Some of my coworkers laugh that I spend my lunch hour salvaging wood from area businesses. They don't have to pay to have it end up in a landfill and I get free wood. I think what interests me in these buildings is I would be preventing them from wasting away. But that is not a reason to overpay.