Value of nigerian babies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cygnet, May 6, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Mom's not registered, but is obviously purebred, and has a very nice disposition. Bred to a pb buck, I met him, nice buck. (Very calm/friendly buck, gentle as a wether.)

Babies due in July of all goes well. I have a couple of people wanting to buy any wethers she has as pets. (I'm keeping any doelings.) They'd be wethered and dehorned before leaving my place. I'll sell 'em after they're weaned, probably in the fall or early winter when it cools off. (I hate stressing animals by moving them when it's 110 out here.)

What would ya'll think I should charge for any wethers? I have no idea what these guys typically go for; I got her at a fire sale price.

This is, of course, a hypothetical question because anything could happen between now and then -- but what do you guys usually see them going for?

Leva

2. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

im no expert but i do have n.d,s & pygmys i would say it probably depends on your area gp on line search nigerian goats for sale . i live in florida and blue eyed does go for $125.oo to 175.00 depending on coloring spotted are usually higher priced, blue eyed bucks with nice color are average 125.00. brown eyed are more common and usually sell for 75.00 to 100.00 friendly wethered males are usually about 75.00 these are for unregistered i hope this is helpful but once again do a search in your area

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy im in arkansas...unreg wethers can go from 35-125.00 depending on color..size..the higer end for horns intact! but thats just here I would pay more for a polled wether myself...black n white go at the lesser end....but and heres the key...bottle fed no matter color,size,polled or not...go for the higher end of the price range...some folks might even ask ya for the kidds a week before weaning so they can finish the job themselves....now if wanna make good money can keep the weathers and train them to cart pull...or as packing goats..that is what I am training my boys for[both things] but i intend to keep them...I have searched for such goats in my area...a nothing special goat that can cart pull $300.00 hands down no questions...a packing goat yes even pygmys...225.00...hope this helps dale anne

4. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

This is an interesting question. Glad you asked. Do you mind if I butt in with a related question? I have a gold and white blue eyed buckling with horns and dam raised that I was thinking of selling for $75. That is, if we don't butcher him. (We were going to eat all of our culls, but he's just so dang cute with his coloring and blue eyes.) He can be registered. Both parents are. But I'm not going to disbud or castrate. Do ya'll think that price is right?

5. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

in florida a gold & white with blue eyes would go quick at that price, if hes small in size. most around here would go for at least 125.00

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I paid $50 each for my purebred Nigerian Dwarf wethers, disbudded, castrated, and first shots.