Value of hardwood and tile?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MelissaW, Apr 30, 2006.

1. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We just put in porcelain tiles and hardwood floors. When I look at real estate ads, it seems like those two items are almost always listed first in the selling points. Does anyone have any idea if it raises the value of the home, and if so, by how much? Do you recoup the cost when selling? Thanks so much!

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I'm not sure,but id wager the answer is no.Crown mold/chair rail and such fancy trim in a home around here, does not raise the homes appraisal value.The builders of new homes just do it out of pocket in a gamble to make a quicker sell.
    Of coarse you can ask above appraisal value with the hopes the potential buyers have enough cash to make up the difference.

But again I'm just guessing,maybe someone else noes for sure.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I don't think it actually raises the value. It just gets more people interested in coming through the door to take a look at your house. More people = more possible sales.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with Jen. Whatever you spend on the floors will probably raise the vaule of the house somewhat, but its value will never be raised by the amount you originally spent on the floors in the first place.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on the market. It depends on the quality of the whole house construction. It depends on the taste of people buying into your neighborhood. If the house is of good or high quality construction, I think you will get your money out of it, unless it is a buyer's market. If it is a buyer's market, it may put you over the edge and be able to sell it more quickly. However, some people do not like tile or hardwood floors. But even these people realize that it is a more expensive option.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

This is a good thread our bedroom had plastic coming apart when we move din so I took it off and now it is just hard wood I love it but my wife say sher feet are cold! The living room has the same wonderful hardwood under the carpet and vinil I want to rip it out and just have the wood though my wife is concerned it will make it to cold as the carpet is insulating, I am concerned about the bad health effects of the carpet, I guess now that the kids are walking it is to late. Also I just like hardwood floors. What are you suppose to coat them with if I did remove the carpet and would it be nescasarry to coat them even if the it is in the living room?

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Here in AZ it's a no-brainer! It'll pay you back in full when you sell and take less time to sell. No wood laminates though.

8. BarbH

BarbH Well-Known Member

A friend of ours is a real estate agent. He plans to sell his own house in the next few years to move closer to his children. He is remodeling. Guess what he is installing? Hardwood floors and ceramic tile. He says, people love both, and it's predicted to still be fashionable 10 years down the road.

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

"ok" Barbh I will tell my wife you said so when I rip out that nasty old carpet and expose those wonderful wood floors on our home LOL.....

10. Dutchie

Dutchie Well-Known Member Supporter

The contributory value of wooden and tile floors depends on the quality and condition.

However, it is mostly a personal preference and in our market here, tile vs. wood vs. carpet of the same quality and condition do not make that much of a difference.

As with all home improvements, while they will contribute to the value of your house because they may make your house "superior" rather than "average", you will not be able to recoup the expense.

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Maybe in the case of buying tiles or making a new hardwood floor but if you already had one in an older home that was concealed by an ugly old carpet would it not be better to get rid of the carpet and vinil under the carpet to expose th ebeautiful hardwood floors?

12. Dutchie

Yes, because by refinishing the hardwood floors, especially if they are older floors and most likely of much better quality than most of the stuff you can buy these days, you will improve the condition of the floor.

What I meant by "re-couping costs" is that people tend to think that if they put $20K into home improvements, it will automatically make their house worth $20K more. It doesn't.

13. baddogbad

baddogbad Active Member

in my small cabin it was pretty inexpensive to put tile down on the floors that had a crappy industrial vinyl flooring when i moved in (kitchen, bath and the hall leading to it). i found some real deals at a tile outlet place that had all sorts of short lots of tile. if you are creative you can mix different colors and sizes to make beautiful floors on the cheap. (and like every other construction task here, now that i'm finished with the floors i'm pretty good at laying tile. "learn" in the rooms that are seen the least.)

i tried to do vinyl in the bath but the way they sell vinyl flooring by the square yard made tile cheaper to install. go figure.

and tile is beautiful...

14. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

When remodeling or decorating my home. I don't really consider the $$ value added. I think of the comfort level & what I like. When we bought our house it was wall to wall carpet. DS has allergies & we tore up all the carpet & put down real hardwood floors & ceramic tiles. Even if the carpet would have been more appealing to a potential buyer it was a health hazzard in our home. Personally carpet makes me wonder what hidden damages are below the carpet & the carpet being used to cover to sell. If buying I'd prefer real hardwood over those laminate flooring. I don't like the looks of fake wood although a few pieces of furniture is chipboard/laminate I don't care for them & hope to eventually have all wooden furniture. I do things as I want them. Not how others would view them. It also makes a big difference on the neighboring houses as well when considering appraisal value.

15. Dutchie

Yep. And that is not necessarily always a good thing.

16. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Thanks all! The cleanliness was the biggest factor for us. With four dogs, I just didn't feel like I could keep the carpet clean enough. We were hoping that the investment would increase the value of the house, in the event that we should sell. Oh well, we like them just the same!

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Of the houses I've bought, the first thing done was to rip out all the carpeting and replace with wood floors in some parts and/or ceramic tile such as the kitchen and entry door landings. That was to suit our dog lifestyle sensibilities and not necessarily for the point of resale appreciation in mind. Having said that, the appraisal doesn't show any particular increase for having wood floors that would justify the expense for putting them in if your purpose is to make money off of the floors with selling the house. JMHO. Might vary which part of the country you live also and what the buyer sees in the value of your wood or ceramic floors. Any renovations done in the house, or the new house, is to meet MY specifications and not the idea of any future buyer. So, go with what you want and will live with yourself. For buying and reselling as the main factor, I'd go with carpeting and be done with it. Especially if you plan to resell in a short time.

18. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

The tile makes clean up so much easier....it always comes out looking brand new again. Try that with carpet over a period of time! Also, if a hurricane floods us, I won't panic about the potential damage as easily as I would have with carpet.

19. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Around here folks close their blinds since if the assesor sees your hardwood floor they will raise the homes assesed value. Right or wrong they do it. There is a "perception" of greater value if a home has hardwood and tile, both. I would estimate that having high-end flooring can increase the home's value by 5%-10% depending on the finish and the species of wood. Just what I've seen in the past...
    --f.g.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

what is a good finish to use