value of fencing.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, May 26, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

a neighboring 5 acres has gone up for sale. i mean to have it, if i can. land in this community is 2000 to 3000 an acre. the 5 acres is fenced with high tensile wire. any idea how much that fencing would add to the value of the property? i know they paid a bit over 2k for it about a year ago, without the fence.

i figured and hoped they would sell. the wife was terrified being this far away from town. (15 miles):rolleyes: she thought the murderous hillbilly rednecks were going to slash her throat any minute.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:haha: :haha: :haha:

That's the way I felt in town!!

Sorry, I can't help with the fence, but thanks for the laugh!

Meg

3. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Cost of materials for the fence would be about 15 cents per lineral foot. afew years ago I paid 11 cents per lineral foot for 5 strands of Hi Tensile

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

However, that doesn't say what the fence is "worth" up. That is a matter of perception. To someone buying the property as a building lot, the fence may be unsightly, or something that they have to maintain but they aren't interested in. I'd say the value of a fence starts to depreciate as soon as it has been put in... and goes down precipitously if you're not interested in having one.

5. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Is it in good condition? Posts solid and wire not broken? Gates not sagging? How far are the posts set? Just plain HT, I'm guessing every 8 feet or so for posts. So figure 1,980 feet of fence line, plus posts, plus gates. Maybe $200 in wire, $2,000 in posts, $200 in gates, $100 in hardware, - all depending on how you buy them, what sizes, if you set corners in concrete. You have very roughly $2500 in materials to do the perimeter alone cheaply (based on my quick math - correct me if I am wrong). Of course, then you have to factor in labor for placing all the posts, running the wire, concrete for corners, extra material for dividing pastures, etc.

If I were looking at it for use with livestock and the fence was in good shape, it would drive the value up for me and I would be willing to throw in another couple thousand dollars. If I were looking to subdivide it or put a house there, I would see it as a liability that needs to be removed and will reduce what I want to pay.

Just my thoughts.

6. marvella

aaah! good point! of course, it's a big advantage to me with these horses and goats.

7. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

It cost us 12 to 20 a rod to put in high tensile fence. Sorry couldn't tell how much a rod is in feet off the top of my head. Hey maybe the murderous redneck can go sneak over and release the tension springs so the fence is saggy. Nothing detracks value than a saggy fence. Really I am just kidding.

8. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

1 rod = 16.5 feet. Did you do it yourself?

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I still, if I were looking at property, would not comment favorably on a fence. If the agent or seller remarked upon it I might acknowledge its presence, but what of it? I mean, unless they want to go to considerable expense to remove it, it is going with the property regardless of the "value" put on it.

If you were feeling particularly vicious, you could make it a condition of the sale that the fence be removed, and then negotiate a discount for the fence remaining in place!

Of course, if you want the fence, and want the property, it wouldn't do to play too much hardball...

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

As some said, the fence could be worth $2000 to someone who wanted it, and worth minus $1000 to someone who didn't want it.

If it is a feature you want and it is quite new & in good shape & cost $5000 to put in, I would value it at $1000 at most. Generally such things just become features that are there, & of little difference - the value is in the land, not a fence. However, if very new & desired.....

--->Paul

11. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Only the local market can determine what it's worth. Cost and value are usually two different things. You might call a local broker familiar with your area and get his opinion. An appraiser MIGHT tell you his opinion, but probably not.

12. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

If the fencing is typical of the area, then it doesn't affect the price. It is standard for the land use. Only if it is substantially above the norm would it add value to the property.

Think used cars. Selling a car with a new transmission doesn't raise its price. A bad transmission lowers the value. A custom job (chrome skull shift knob included) raises the value.

13. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi Marvella,

I just put in six strands of high tensile fence - it cost me 7.00 per post and about 16 cents per liner strand of fence (includes ceramic insulators). The charger was another $200.00.

My posts are round, 8 feet long (two feet in the ground) and of the 4-5 inch treated variety.

hope this helps,
    Sidepasser

14. marvella

yes, it does help. thanks!

i'm not persuaded that the place is worth what he wants for it. of course he jacked the price way up, because he doesn't want to sell it, she does. :rolleyes:

fence WAS sagging when i went up there, :haha: he said he had added a barn too, but it's really more like a run-in shed, that sits down in a holler, under some trees that gets very little sunlight. the whole place has very little area level enough to build on, without extensive dozer work, no room for a garden and probably the worst part for me is that is has a northwest exposure. he paid 2100/ ac a year ago, but is asking 5000/ac. :rolleyes:

i'll let him keep it.

one of these days, i probably should get on the phone, and have a long friendly talk with the wife, try to persuade her that if i can live here as a mostly single woman for 31 years, and still sleep soundly with the door unlocked, she might learn to like it here. i'd be glad to have them as neighbors, they are nice people.

15. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hi Marvella,
    I would probably buy it just to keep from having bad neigbors.It sounds like you have great neighbors. Could the land be developed into condos or apartments?
    I don't think the fence adds value to a place could be wrong, been known to be wrong before :haha: Have to be careful of those tn rednecks :haha:
    have you had any rain recently? we have not had a drop.
    Good luck and I hope you buy the place.
    tnborn

16. marvella

:haha: tnborn, you are talking dirty when you talk about building condos or apartments. :no: :no: :no: :haha: i really, really don't want neighbors. it's the reason i live here. the place they own is well out of range of my place, we just adjoin one another.

no, no rain. i try to not get started watering the garden, but if this keeps on i'll have to. got a weather warning today tho, supposed to rain tomorrow. normally we get lots and lots of rain, as we are so close to all the trees and national park. we are just one step below a rain forest.

i ran into the guy today, told him i'd try to talk his wife into staying. they said they'd stay if i would. actually, if we just gate the place we'll have the whole hillside to ourselves. they will make good neighbors, and the only reason i thought of buying it was to fortify my boundaries. :)

i like it when it works out to all our advantage.