Value of a small 4x8 trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cfabe, Sep 23, 2005.

1. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Saw a trailer for sale today on one of the sideroads here. It looked like it was 4x8 with sides about 3 feet tall. The back was taller and hinged to be a ramp. It looks like they used an old solid front axle from a car for the axle, had some small leaf springs on it. Frame looked pretty beefy, a little rusty but repaintable. It had a licensce plate expiring in 02 so it's been used pretty recently. The tires were shot, all dry-rotted but they looked like 15" and I have some I can put on. The lights and wiring looked pretty new. It said $100 on it. Good deal? How hard is it going to be to find bearings for who-knows-what axle that is under there?

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I don't know about the bearings but $100 sounds pretty good to me, depending on how rusty it is and if the axle is straght, etc. It's not a great price but it's probably okay. Trailers are expensive.

Do some searches on eBay and see what you think.
    Yours would be worth less due to paint job and tires, but perhaps more due to having lights. Some trailers have brakes some don't, some have double axles, some have single, so adjust prices accordingly until you feel like you're comparing apples to apples.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

NAPA has always been able to match up bearings and seals for me. $100 doesn't sound too bad.

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I'd pull it to make sure it tracks straight. And make sure the suspension is going to be adequate for what you'll use it for. Homemade trailers can be a crap shoot depending on the expertise of the person building it...

5. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

You just might put enough into this OLD one that you could purchase a NEW one. I see some that even fold up and could stand up along a wall for storage. Do some more thinking and shoping around.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a small 3 1/2' by 6 ' homemade stock trailer that I will be selling for about $400. It is the most useful trailer I have, but I have too many trailers. It is perfect for a 4H'er too pull their sheep, goats, pigs or whatever to the fair and stock shows and pulls behind even a mini-PU. I suspect I'll have it sold in a week or less.

7. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

harbor freight sells a little traler for $150 new.

8. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

FREE is what we got this trailer for, good 16" rims, 6ply tires:

[​IMG]
    Neighbor gave us this trailer a few weeks ago, we put on part of a new deck, and just bought a jack with wheel to attach to the tonuge.

We will use our beautiful new trailer for getting wood, and lots of other things around the homestead. I know, lots of you might be horrified, but it's great for us, and we are happy we got it -- very useful.

Oh, and on top of it was this tank and in-need-of-repair 12v fuel pump, about which he said, "That can go your way too." We said, "Thank you!"

[​IMG]
    Yes, of course, I will eventually sand, prime and paint it, the same neighbor gave us the red shed, and another which is identical, both of which I skidded back with the truck a few weeks ago -- the 16' x 16' 40-year-old sheds are now sitting in the yard, ready for more work to be done on them.

Lucky Duck,

Alex

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Depending on what you want to haul, A 4x8 is a bit small. 5x10 would be my min size, but $100 is a very nice price if its in usable condition. New they would go for $500-$600 around here.

10. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

cfabe,
    It that trailer still available?

Good deals with wheels don't last very long before they're gone.

11. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

Alex,
    What is that blue thing in the background of your picture, behind and to the right of the trailer?

It looks like the largest potted plant I've ever seen?

12. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds fairly reasonable to me.
    I saw one that looked pretty bad with just one axle at a yard sale the other day. Walked over to look at the price and they had $300 on it.
    If the tongue is good and solid and the axle and floor is good, then it is probably worth the $100.
    We sold a grain trailer a couple months ago for a $100. The man who bought it said he was buying it to resell.

13. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to let this one pass. It did seem a little small to me, and I wasn't really looking for a trailer anyway, just happened upon it.

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, that is a cool illusion! It's a hanging pot close to the camera it looks like, but happens to line up with the grass line in the distance & looks like it's sitting way out there.

--->Paul

15. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Garden Ear and Rambler,

Hey . . . yes, I guess you are right, sorry I missed that. We have to two non-performing-bad hanging baskets one on each of the 2nd floor deck purlins. Next year I am going to work on them and make them better.

Interesting.

Ok, I guess my lovely little trailer is not actually that beautiful, it works though.

Alex

16. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Every time Alex posts a picture I see something I'd like to have. I'd really like to have his tractor, I'd like to have his trailer, I'd like to have his tank, I'd like to have his new shed. I couldn't see his truck too clearly but I'm sure I'd be drooling over it too.

As as for the 100 dollar trailer, I'd ask them if they'd take 50 and if they wouldn't I'd ask if they'd take 75 and finally if they didn't wanna haggle on the price I'd go ahead and pony up the C Note. Hard to find a decent trailer for 100 bucks. I'd pay 100 bucks for a 4x8 trailer if it was in decent repairable condition. I ran down a 16 ft trailer last week for 750 but it was sold by the time I got there.

17. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

rambler, Alex
    Boy is my face red. I never thought about a hanging plant, I actually thought it was real.

Quint,
    great idea about offering less for it. I probably would have paid up to $100 for it though. A little fix-up might have made it a nice profit.

Alex,
    your trailer and sheds are perfect. Homesteading is all about recycling somebody else's unwanteds into a functional and beneficial asset. I'd take your "gifts" in a heartbeat. Good for you for making them useful.

18. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Very funny Quint.

Here is something else you might THINK you want, this is really over the top.

That same neighbor gave us this log house -- he said the volunteer fire department can burn it down if I don't take it. He knows we have moved and reconstructed buildings. Near the end of October, we will remove logs from the garage, lower the roof in the process, skid them back with the tractor and truck.

Then, later, in the spring, use the very-well-fitted-with-great-notched logs to add an addition on the front of our cabin above the front deck. We will disassemble the roof, reuse the boards and skid the trusses back or bring them back on the new trailer -- I was wondering if there was a CONNECTION to this thread here?

These are 40-year-old pine logs, they are much lighter than if I felled new logs, and we DON'T have to peel them, or fit them, and only one end needs notching -- speed construction.

[​IMG]
    We will lift the roof with the loader -- block it up, pull out a log with the loader and truck, lower roof, etc. . . . hmm . . . that's the plan, we'll see.

Alex

19. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

One of the things I like to take a good look at with a homemade trailer is where the axles are placed. Not being as knowledgeable as most of you guys I made a mistake with the first one I got and the axle was placed too far forward.

This made it difficult to handle, it didn't pull right etc. So, the one I have now is much better, made from 3/4" plywood, is well painted, has four foot sides and a drop tail gate, good axles, mobil home tires, good lights, nice hitch, and reflectors also. IT was 50 bucks.

I get along with this one a lot better! LOL

LQ

20. roadrash

roadrash Well-Known Member

I would be happy if someone gave me the triple wall chimney pipe! :dance: