Value of a Raburn or Aga in the US

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thatch, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

So we are about 6 weeks from leaving the UK.. destination still unknown. We may come back stateside, or an overseas job may pop up in the meantime, who knows. Anywho, we will be shipping our stuff back to the states and we are thinking about filling out our shipment with a Rayburn or Aga solid fuel oven w/attached boiler. My plan is to use it for my radian floor heating when I build. However, plans have a nasty way of changing on you. So, since the Rayburn is about 1000 lbs of my shipping weight I thought it wise to find out what sort of value these things might have in the states. I've never seen one advertised stateside at all, nor really any comparable solid fuel ovens of a different brand so comparisons are hard. I though if anyone might know the answer though it would be on this board.

So, anyone know? Anyone even know what a Rayburn is? Anyone care? :p

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. So, would that be a wood cookstove with oven?

--->Paul

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Heard of Agas, that's an awsome stove. Too rich for my pocketbook, that's for sure.

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Basically... here is a picture of one (there are several different models)

[​IMG]

There are soild fuel, oil and gas versions. The cook surfaces on top have covers to keep the heat in and make it safe they often have 2 seperate ovens and they are capable of running up to 10 radiators off of the boiler on the back of the stove.

J

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    That Aga is worth every penny you spend to ship it. You know what a joy they are to work with and if you ever decide to get rid of it, people will pay big bucks for it here. High end decorators love them and you can always sell one if you need to.
    I'd buy one myself if they werent so darn expensive.

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm from the u.k. so I do know what a Rayburn is. My folks have one in their house but I've never seen one here. Thay are good though, my Dad paid a pound for his 2nd hand when I was a kid and its still going and heating the water.I have seen agas here, expensive but the people I know who have them say they are great. I'd love one but expensive for me I'm afraid.

7. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, that is awesome!

8. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Thatch,
    I got quoted between 6000 and 7000 US Dollars when I looked into buying one about 5 years ago!! If you get the chance bring it over. Does it heat around 20 -25 gallons? Isn't that what infloor heat needs? I think that's what ours needs (that's in the system all the time). I knw they can run central heating systems so you should be ok, I guess,

Carol

9. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Yeah I think 25 gal is about right. They are set up for radiator heating anyway so I didn't think it would take all that much to switch them over to a closed radiant floor system. Since I won't be heating the floor in the warm months anyway I won't then have to fire up the rayburn just to get bath water. I'll stick with a standard propane for heated household water.

The ones I'll be looking at buying will be "used" ones so I'll get off fairly cheap at around $500-$800 for it. Shipping will be free for me.

J

10. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

There is a Yahoo group called agalovers.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agalovers/
    The archive is public.

11. ristras

ristras New Member

I'd dearly love to have an aga. Unfortunately, when I add up the price tag, the transport (last I looked, the only dealer in New Mexico was at the other end of the state from me) and the fact that my kitchen floor would probably need to be reinforced (there's a crawlspace under the house) it just doesn't work. That said, if I were ever to win a lottery, I'd plan my new homestead kitchen around one of those lovely things!

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Your Aga will be worth a mint over here. If it's not too much skin off your back, ship it on over. Think of it as an investment that you can sell off if you ever need the money. Some of those things are worth what some people spend to build the entire kitchen.
    And they are a freakin' dream to cook in/on.

13. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Hey, Thatch... haven't seen many of your posts around here lately. Good to see you're doing ok! Ok, something on topic... I'd bring it home with you... worst case scenario, you have a list of people here who'd take it off your hands.

14. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Heck, Thatch,
    Since your shipping is free, buy several and send them on over.

The Barter Board is waiting. :)
    SBJ