ValBazen Help!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tadpole, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I have a little goat (Alpine) that has not gained any weight and I looked at her gums and they are white. How much do you give? I only see for cattle and sheep on the bottle. The lady I always ask is on vacation and I need to do something cause I don't want to lose her. She's only about 40 lbs. Do you double the one that says sheep? :shrug: I think that's waht she had told me but I don't remember.

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Its 8 cc per 100 pounds orally and (Never use on a pregnant goat)so half that and go from there.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

The Valbazen dosage that I give is 1 cc/10# of body weight or 10ccs/100#. Just a little more than the above poster. Valbazen is a good wormer for getting tape worms. Do you have any Cydectin Cattle Pour on? or can you possibly get some from another goat person or a cattle person in your area. The dosage on the Cydectin is 1 cc/25# of body weight given ORALLY (by mouth only) I'm not certain what area you are in, but in the south some of the more general wormers such as Safegard doesn't work well any longer. If her gums are pale and she is thin and rough coated you might also get some Red Cell from the feed store and give her, at 40# body weight, 2 ccs by mouth, twice daily for 7-10 days days.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I too think that Cydectin would be a better choice for this girl than valbazen at this point. Valbazen is good for tapes, but sounds like she needs something that will get the blood-sucking worms. Red Cell is a very good suggestion.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Or if you can't get Cydectin, at least Ivermectin. You can buy a tube of the paste for less than $10.

6. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I do have Cydection. i will use tomorrow and also have Red Cell too. Can you use both or should I wait to use Red Cell? Don't I use Cydection in 14 days again?

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Actually, on this little doe I would repeat the Cydectin dosage in 10 days. If you give the Cydectin today then I would start the Red Cell tomorrow.

8. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

I would give her a cocktail worming (both Valbazan and Cydectin) and repeat in 10 days. She could have both tape and bloodsucking worms. The Red Cell would also help.

Debbie

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Save the cocktails for when your 1 wormer alone does not work. She is stressed with so many worms no , valbazen alone will get the worm load down. By mixing wormers and switching you are going to make resistant worms , and then you are going to have nothing left to use. Also save Cydectin for when the others don't work , don't use it as your first choice. At 40lbs I would also start treating her for coccidia. Dimethox for 5 days.

Worm her today and do a fecal in a few days. Best yet if you have not wormed her collect a stool sample and get it checked. Worm her as soon as you collect the berries. Then in a few days grab some more berries and have them checked. You want to see about a 90 % reduction in worms in the fecals . By doing this you will know if the wormer is working for you. Make sure your Vet does a count , let him know you will be bringing in another sample after worming.

No need to wait on giving red cell , give it NOW. The sooner the better. I would also give her some priobios and a vit b injection.

10. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Tape worms usually do not cause a big problem in goats. Only Haemonchus and hook worms cause anemia and white gums.

11. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

Thanks for all the info. I have already gave Cydection and Red Cell this morning and Red Cell this evening too. I will get some berries and have them checked also.
    Again thanks for all the help.

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

I looked at her gums and they are white.
    PLEASE....if you are going to use the body parts to determine parasite burdens....USE THE INSIDE of the lower eye lid. The gums are NOT a good way to tell. I have been through the training course for the use of the FAMACHA chart-inside lower eyelid- and I can tell you from 1st hand knowledge that a doe with NEG fecal & a bright red eyelid,will have white/gray gums. Horses,dogs, great way to determine anemia but it doesn't work the same in goats,cows,sheep.
    Just passing on researched info.
    Kaye