vaginal prollapse how long can you wait?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kenworth9, Mar 5, 2005.

1. kenworth9

kenworth9 New Member

Spring is here, unfortunately we have experienced our first after birth prolapse.

It's a complete prolapse, and a large lamb. born this morning.

Is it worth trying to fix the ewe? or is it too late? the risk of infection even if we could get her stitched up seems great.

2. BDB

BDB BDB

is it just a vaginal prolapse or did the uterus prolapse if its a uterus you wanna get it back inside her as soon as posible its not the afterbirth just hagin there by chance the best thing is have a vet look at her i have had this hapen to one of our cows not one of the vets wanted to come out right away so we washed it with mild soap and water and put it back inside got the cow up on her feet so it droped back in her kept her up so she will not push it out again hope everything turns out OK for ya

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You want to fix either ASAP and sure there is a risk of infection but a simple coarse of PenG will take care of that. She's a cull but can raise the lamb before she goes!

4. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

I am interested in hearing how to re-insert a complete uterine prolapse. Last year as well as this year, we had a ewe with this condition, and no amount of trying helped us to get the uterus back in. Both times we finally had to put the ewes down (in the middle of the night), as there was no way it was going back in. We've heard to put sugar on the uterus (to make it shrink, supposedly...didn't work), tipping them at an angle to make gravity do it's job (didn't work). I anticipate sometime in the future we will see this again, and wonder how to get the uterus back where it belongs!!!

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It is a big job. Step one, take off all jewelry and watches have a bare arm ready. Stand the ewe up, so you'll have gravity assist once things get going right. Wash the uterus with a very mild iodine solution, make sure it is clean. Essentially at that point you push whatever will go in back in, but try not to seriously fold or twist tissue, rather push it straight back in as best you can. At the time this advice will seem like nonsense as you'll be happy to make any progress. You're going to be up to your full arm inside so be ready, the goal is to get everything in straight and completely. I've seen my vet use a washed beer bottle to extend his reach, just don't forget to bring it back out! It is important that there are no twists and all the tissue is back in place or the ewe will keep pushing until she dies. You may find you have to lay the ewe down once everything is back in and roll her on her side back and forth a few times to untwist things, that be careful not to fold or twist tissue advice is now alittle more obvious. Once everything is back in place the vulva is stitched closed with umbilical tape (flat cotton cloth about a 1/4 inch wide) being carful not to puncture the urethera, PenG for a week to ten days and you're hopefully done. Oh stitches out in about 10-14 days. Nice to have a vet do it for you the first time at least.

6. Lana

Lana Active Member

We did our 1st complete prolapsed this year. We put a board under her legs to keep her up and titlet her head down ass up. my hubby and I just forced it back. My vet friend said a 50% sugar water solution does help shrink it some. We did not stitch but made a homemade set up to insert and keep prolapsed in. also made a homemade harness to hold it there, we did antibiotic bolus and shot. It was a very tough job I did not think we could do it buy my husband just said we can and we did. Mom is fine and raising her lambs. Lana