vaginal prolapse?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moonspinner, Mar 31, 2005.

1. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have an almost two yr old nigerian doe due in 3.5 weeks. I just noticed what may be a vaginal prolapse. It is a hard pinkish mass that slides out about an inch and then slides back in. She doesn't fit the profile of an older, fat doe. She is on the small side. Would a difficult prior delivery have an effect on producing this condition? She had a single kid, breech last year which I had to pull. I read the other threads on this. Would she need to have this stitched inside til delivery or could I keep it clean and just monitor it? My vet is a distance away so I'd just be worried about taking out the stitches when she's due to kid. And should I not breed her again? Thanks for any advice.

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi moonspinner,

We raise Boers and I am not familiar with Nigerians. I can give you our experiences with a "Spanish" doe that we had.

She was older and had delivered a number of times including quads. After all this she began prolapsing about two weeks before she would deliver. The prolapse was as big as a large grapefruit and shaped much like an apple. It was round much like a balloon and had an "indent" where the cavity is and looked a lot like the indent in an apple where the stem would be attched. I described what I can remember because I'm not totally convinced that I get a prolapse from your description.

If you stitch her, you will just about have to live with her to make sure that you are there when labor begins. After talking to our vet, we let everything proceed as it was except an antibiotic injection as a preventative. Our vet wasn't too concerned about the prolapse, but we kept a mighty close eye on her. In two weeks, she delivered twins quite easily and just fine. The next year she delivered another set of twins in the same manner (prolapse and all).

Again, we don't have any experience with Nigerian (this should be confirmed by someone who does), but our experience and the experiences we have read lead me to believe that both you and I will probably worry more than necessary.

And, yes the vet suggested that we consider taking her out of service in the near future and we did.

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

3. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I would keep a close eye on her. My vet said my goat would be ok!! Also she delivered twins and 3 hours later a large buck was born of course we thought all she was having were the twins the next day she was found dead in the morning.. I was so sad after thinking all was well.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Did your doe have a prolapse too? I can't see the connection though between that and your doe's death. Unless someone can enlighten me. SO very sorry for your loss.