Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our old cows-(has had 16 calves)-due in a very few weeks-has come up w/this. We researched and now- know to, clean-reinsert-STITCH- We cleaned, reinserted yesterday-seemed fine, she urinated fine afterwards-we thought it was "fixed"-then later when she laid down-it happened again. My question is, has anyone dealt w/this with a successful calving-we know to remove stitches when she starts to calve. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a picture of a "purse string" stitch(i think i know what that means)--anyone dealt w/this? We realize it is time to cull-if we can get her through this to get the calf raised,we would prefer that--But if it's more likely she will not come through--we will ship now. Suggestions. :shrug:

6,651 Posts
I dont have much knowlege about how to fix it.

I was a kid when we had it happen a couple times. The vet called it caster wither. I remember dad rubbing sugar on the uterus to get it to shrink, then he pushed it back in. I was only 10. I dont reember if he sewed her vagina closed or not.

sorry

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your vet should be the one to stitch her up. You need a very large (2 to 4 inches) cutting edge needle and heavy suture or umbilical tape that won't break under pressure to do the job. And an epidural block to keep her from feeling the pain and trying to kick you out of the barn.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Listen to MaryDVM

Have had it happen a couple of times.Both times worked out fine.Had to stitch them back up right after the calf was born.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Get a vet to do the "purse string" stitch. She should get along fine, if no infection sets in. A vaginal prolapse isn't as bad as a uterine prolapse which is what you need to watch for after calving. Be sure to pull the stitch when she goes in labor. She should be able to raise the calf, but don't forget to cull her before she is bred again. After 16 calves, she doesn't owe you any more.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
If you have the tools and the gumption you can do a purse string. It's quite simple. Use cotton umbilical tape, not suture material. You insert the long heavy needle at the lower end of one side of the vagina, push it upward so that it exits the flesh at the upper end of the vagina. Thread 1/2 the umbilical tape back through the hole, and repeat the same procedure on the other side. Knot the tape.

I've done dozens of them.

That is all there to it. Keep everything as clean as possible (I know, hard in this area, just do the best you can) I would give a good dose of antibiotic. You will need to watch REALLY close for calving time. She will probably kick it back out when she calves and you will have to repeat the procedure. With 16 calves out of her she don't owe you a thing, and if you are milking her you should be able to keep her lactating for several years. I wouldn't re breed, but that's your decision.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank-you for all responces.And thank-you for explaining the "stitch" to me. After talking it over w/the vet--who by the way wanted $400 to come out to sew her up--given her age ect., vet fealt itwas likely she would do a complete prolapse at calving, and bleed to death! She said if cow was in HER herd-she would ship her now. That is what DH did -along w/11 of our calves -over 300 pounds.We have a few more of the "old" cows yet-this is the first incedence w/this--perhaps we have learned a bit about "when" to ship the old ones--b-4 they run into these problems. (this is a beef herd BTW) Yes, we admire her -for her years of service and fine healthy calves.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I had it done to a uterine prolapse earlier this year. Seems like the entire process (took her into the vets) cost about $100. Prolapsed after calving. Cow and calf left as soon as calf was weanable due to grass shortage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.