vacuum pump for milker

Discussion in 'Goats' started by reneeearle, Feb 20, 2005.

1. reneeearle

reneeearle Well-Known Member

Help!!! I have everything that I need to get my machine up and going, except for a pump. What do I need to look for? Does anyone have one for sale? I have babies due in April, and my goal is to have my machine up and running by then!!! Thanks ahead of time!!!

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

The 2 biggies of the day were the Surge and Delaval. I see surge pumps on E-Bay all the time but the shipping is probably high due to the weight. I bought 2 last year and to save the shipping told the sellers to keep the motors.

I keep them outside, due to oil vapor when operating, then hard piped the suction lines into the barn.

3. reneeearle

I have a little portable milker, so I don't think that I need that big of a pump. Do you know about how much suction I need? Does it need to be a special Milker vacuum pump? will any pump work? Thanks, again,
    Renee

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

YOu might could go to Hamby Dairy Supply on the net and ask Mr. Hamby what he recommends. He is very friendly and helpful.

5. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

once upon a time (in the countrysidemag fourm) I posted a link to a gentleman site that had drawings on how to convert a air ocmpresser into a vacuum pump. I am so sorry I didn't get his information copied for others before his site went down. I have no idea how he did it, however I talked to the owner at my feed store and he said to reverse something in the air compresser to cause it to suck instead of blow. *shrug* (I am not sure it will actually work)

If I remember the drawing, an old propane tank used as a holding tank to maintain the psi needed. I know there is more to it then this and I am sure if you know someone that is mechanically inclined, they could figure it out.

I am sorry I can't be of more help.

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have one for sale. IF you are close to michigan.

8. reneeearle

I am in Centra Michigan. Do you have one that will work for a portable milker? How much are you asking? How big is it? Where are you? Thank you so much for the info!!!!