Vacuum cleaner ?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Vera, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Me again. Hi :) This time, I have a question about my vacuum cleaner. The motor runs just fine, and the expelled air comes out where it should (so it's moving air), but it doesn't suck where it should suck. Neither below nor at the hose end. I did unhook the hose, but it doesn't suck at the hose attachment point either.

The vacuum is only about a year old, it's a "Sanitaire" Model S4170, Type A-1. A friend gave it to me when she decided that she wanted an Oreck instead. I read through the manual, but there's no mention at all of anything related to this particular problem.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and how I can troubleshoot and fix it?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Vera , temporarily remove the filter and determine if the suction returns at the point on the canister where the hose hooks. If it does then the filter is clogged. If this makes no change in the suction then the gasket at the lid is leaking.

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Wow... I took the filters out and out them back in (they weren't clogged), took the bag out and put it back in, took the hose out and put it back in, turned the whole thing over and laid it flat and turned it over again, turned it on, and - poof! It works! Nothing was clogged - didn't think so since the vacuum didn't sound any different from normal, like it does when the hose is clogged or something -, so do you think that some loose gasket or other part went back into place in all that moving the vacuum this way and that? If it was the gasket, where exactly would it be so I can check it directly if this happens again? I don't even know what it looks like :confused: