Vacumn cleaner advice please..

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Sher, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I need a vacumn cleaner. I have all hard floors..no carpets. But I have two dog kids and four cat kids..I have major hair issues!!

I would like to know what vacumn you think would best fit my situation. Along with the hard floors and hair..we are trackers in from chores. I cannot lift stuff and those big upright ones that are kinda heavy would not work for me and my muscles.

I could stand something that would also be able to clean up hair off the couches..but again..I just can't get too heavy of a one.

I have been doing the dustmop and broom thing for six years..I hate just "moving" the dirt from one place to another..I would rather just suck it up and be done with it!!

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Dyson is the best hands down in my opnion. It is pricey, but it makes vacumning fun ~ REALLY! :) I have the purple animal. :)

Dyson

3. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Two dogs, two cats and I shed alot of long hair too! Not to mention all the hay that seems to comes back in with me after I feed the horses.

Dyson is what I use. It is an upright but I never have to pick-it up. We are on one floor.

I have tried lots of brands and Dyson has been the best so far.

Jill

4. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

There was an enormous thread about this last year; maybe you can find it? People had very different opinions about this! And so does Consumer Reports. You can check it at a library. Good luck!

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in the same situation - all hardwood floors and lots of pets. I use a Dirt Devil bagless on the downstairs floors. It does an excellent job of getting up the hair and I can use the wand with attachments on the upholstery (I usually use my hand held Dirt Devil for that though). Ours is a bit heavy but we've always been happy with Dirt Devil products and there may be lighter ones out there.

Upstairs where we have refinished the floors, I don't use the vacuum. We did the floors ourselves and the finish is kind of picky. The vacuum wheels can pick up dirt and then scratch the finish. So upstairs, I use a Swiffer dust mop. It takes care of everything except the occassional cat claw. I tried using BJ's version of the cleaner cloths but they only have texture on one side so they aren't reversible so not cheaper. I think others have pinned flannel pieces onto their Swiffer.

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Wow..thanks for the great tips! I am ashamed to say that I will have to do a search on Dyson..but it sounds like you really like them!

Cindy..I am using a Swiffer dust mop now..well sorta..I use a cloth baby diaper on it! I can refold while doing the floors and then launder and reuse it. I can't do the actual Swiffer dofinkies..because of the chemical on them. But I have put alot of miles on that Swiffer!!

Thanks everyone..going to search Dyson to see what you all are excited about!!

7. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

:dance:

8. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

We bought a Dirt Devil last year at Walmart for around $100
    It actually vacuums bare floors. Although sometimes bits and pieces will occasionally fly out. For the most part I usually take the hose and vacuum that up.
    This is of course if a Dyson is out of your price range.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

One with a hepa filter,thats the biggie to me.

BooBoo :gromit:

10. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I hate to be a spoil sport but I bought a Dyson and HATED it! I thought it was nothing but cheap plastic. I returned it and for another $100 bought a Riccar and I am soooo pleased. The Dyson tools kept falling off, the bin for dirt held nothing and there were no controls to lower it, you just had to maually move it. I had speck of stuff that it did not pick up either.

11. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of pricey, but we love love love our Miele vacuum cleaner. It has an excellent filter system and has both a regular floor attachment (we have no carpeting either) but we do have floor rugs, especially in the winter, and there is a very good attachment for that. The little attachments nest in the vacuum itself, so no more lost or kicked around pieces. Because it is a canister, there isn't any lifting, you just move the hose around where you want it. And it is wery wery qwiet. Shhh.

12. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I had a professional housekeeping service for a number of years, so I went through several vacuums. I cleaned 3 churches so I needed something lightweight that I could easily maneuver under the pews, in the corners, etc.

I was also lifting it in and out of my car, so didn't want a huge ordeal on that.

I went through a couple of expensive vacuums, and others were just too heavy for me. I finally found THE BEST VACUUM...it's a Dirt Devil "swivel glide" and you can get it at WalMart or online for about $50.-$60. It really sucks! LOL

I have tile floors in most of the house and a dog. I suck up the dog hairs great and do the LR & BR carpet too. In addition, it has a hose attachement that is immediately handy to suck in the corners or up high for cobwebs.

The vacuum is very lightweight and the swivel is what makes it maneuver around with one finger. TRUST ME...don't get an expensive vacuum. Like you said, they're too heavy, cumbersome, and they still break down, just like other vacuums.

I gave my sister one and my Dad one. They both love the vacuum too.

Here's the link: (I'd get the "Ultra") DIRT DEVIL SWIVEL GLIDE VACUUM

You might also look at Amazon.com--I think I got free shipping for my sister's with them.

Okay, here's another one from Amazon.com...it's bigger. Dirt Devil Swivel Glide Vacuum at Amazon
    Do NOT get one any bigger than this or any of those really cheapo ones--they break down too easily.

13. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

My wife commandeered my shop vac. with 14 cats it works.

Also shop vac makes an upright like the old Kirby's with a bag hanging on it. $120. Use something else for the other stuff like furniture.

14. fastbackpony

fastbackpony Well-Known Member

Our house is all hardwood/pergo type floors, and I LOVE my Kirby. Yes its heavy to pick up, but i nearly never have to pick it up. It has a transmission, so it takes very little muscle to push it around. When we moved here we got a hard floor attachment, and it sucks up all the dust and dirt, and hair. I have never regretted getting it, it was a big investment at the time - but worth every penny. There is also a hose attachment to go one the front, no lifting required, even a spinning attachment, that is great for furniture, and upholstry.

you can get them used sometimes - i've even seen them on auction lists - and they last forever.

15. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I have also heard great things about Dyson but couldn't stomach the price. I've had a Kirby for 20 yrs and hated it. I always end up with cheapo canister vacs and they end up doing the brunt of the work until they die and I get another. This time I went a little pricier with a Kenmore most basic model. Enough attachments for my taste and it seems to work pretty well. We've had it for about 4 months

16. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Hubby Joe is a vac repair man :) His advice:
    You didn't mention how much you'd like to spend. Sounds like you need a small, lightweight canister. Go to Sears. A decent Kenmore canister will run between $200 -250. Miele is about $800, Dyson around $500. Suggest getting a vac with paper bags, NOT a bagless. You'll be able to throw out the bag with the pet smell in it. A bagless vac will retain pet odors within the filter system.

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Mnay of the vacuums mentioned, especially the ones that command a higher price, are ones that do a decent job on carpets. You do not need one of these high tech expensive vacuum cleaners. Like you, we have all wood floors...we have no need for a vacuum that "deep cleans" carpet. All you need is a vacuum that "sucks." What we use...I should say what WIHH uses...is a backpack model vacumm cleaner. It's the kind used by airlines, restaurants, theatres, etc. This is a commerical model vacuum with lots of suction, but the beauty of a backpack vacuum is that you are not towing around a cansiter that is bumping into walls and furniture and hassle to use on stairs. Nor is it a big clunky upright that can't get under furniture, or above drapes, or in other tight places. Get a backpack, it goes where you go, up ladders, down stairs, etc. It's almost as convenient as a built-in vacuum system.