Vacing bred does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I saw the thread about worming bred does and thought Id ask about vacing. EVERYTHING on our place HAS to get vaced for tectnius (sp) PERIOD and we just bought a doe thats never been vaced for anything and I would love to know if anyone knows if its safe to vac her now, and if not, when???

Thanks All!!!

Joy

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'm guessing you mean vaccinated? As for diseases? And I assume you were talking about tetanus?

Give them a CD/T shot a 1.5-1 month before kidding. Give 2cc sub-q or IM. Kids need shots at 4 & 8 weeks of age, and if a kid is born less than a month after it's mother's shot, give shots at 3, 6, and 9 weeks of age.

3. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Yes you can vaccinate them when pregnant and it helps give some immunity to the newborns. Be sure to deworm right after kidding too, as the hormone change causes the worms to multiply quickly. Good luck

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Please share the thread with me; I just ivomec plus'd all my bred does at 1cc per 50# is this ok

5. Caprice Acres

Well, usually it's at 1 cc per 33 lbs... Though I've herd of doing it at that quantanty too.

6. Kshobbit

There is a big difference between Ivermectin and Ivermectin Plus. One difference is the Plus will kill liver flukes. The other is that the Ivermectin Plus may cause abortions in early pregnancy. I usually follow the dosage on the bottle.

7. midkiffsjoy

Well the problem with following the label is that goats dosage is never listed and goats have a very different metabolisum (sp? ...this is the proper symbol for questioning spelling for those who don't remember english class...some of us have trouble spelling and dont bother checking the dictonary everytime because if you can TELL what they mean...then they have communicated with you effectively) than cows and horses. Praire View International goat research center recommends doubling the cattle dose for goats, but MAN sometimes thats a LOT!!!! So I use the 1 cc per 30 pounds for vacing and 1 cc per 50 pounds for worming......or is it backwards??? Thats why I write everything down and tape it to the inside of my vet box...giggle...no short term memory!!! grin

Thanks everyone for your answers!!!

Joy

8. Caprice Acres

Hm, you vaccinate by weight? With CD/T, it is 2cc's across the board for all goats no matter what the size is.

9. midkiffsjoy

That must be a wonderful help for taking the math out when one person is struggling to hold an unhappy goat while you figure the dosage and prepare the needle!!!! I still like using the weigh tape everytime, just for records sake, but thats really nice!!!!

10. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you only do CD/T once a year or is it twice a year?

What about BOSE, do you give that during breeding or during pregnancy?

Thanks!

11. Kshobbit

CD&T you give one injection then a booster in 6 weeks, after that you give a booster yearly. The BOSE all depends on your level of selenium deficiency. I like to give it before kidding to help with kidding, and provide some protection for the kids too.

12. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks! I should be good then until next spring before kidding. We are breeding right now and I started to worry I forgot something.