Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Wonder when the "immigrants" will be getting their card? Oh wait they aren't being vaccinated just turned lose, positive or not.
Why would they need a card? They are an oppressed minority, among the anointed, nobody has any right to question them.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
What would seem more discriminatory to the already disenfranchised- a photo ID to drive, vote, buy a gun, beer, ciggies, cough medicine, prove citizenship or a cootie card in order to enter the weed dispensary?
It could be either or neither depending on what you identify as.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Whatever happened to HIPPA laws and all of your health information remaining private?
HIPAA only applies to "covered entitites" which is in essence those providing medical service of some kind (i.e. doc, hospital, insurance, pharmacy, etc). It does not, nor has it ever, applied to any other entity private or otherwise so the local newspaper, or anyone else for that matter, can disclose your medical information if he, she, or it gets ahold of it legally.

So if Grandma Jones tells the Daily Planet that Peter Parker has AIDS and they publish is, welp... sorry it's all good. (Yes, I know I crossed universes)

·
Administrator
19,875 Posts
HIPAA only applies to "covered entitites" which is in essence those providing medical service of some kind (i.e. doc, hospital, insurance, pharmacy, etc). It does not, nor has it ever, applied to any other entity private or otherwise so the local newspaper, or anyone else for that matter, can disclose your medical information if he, she, or it gets ahold of it legally.

So if Grandma Jones tells the Daily Planet that Peter Parker has AIDS and they publish is, welp... sorry it's all good. (Yes, I know I crossed universes)
Would that not make it perfectly legal if the local Cosco were to use or sell you name, address and any other personal information on your vaccination card for marketing purposes?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

I don't believe you are correct in your HIPAA characterization. HIPAA covers precisely what "covered entities" can do with your information. Subsequent clarifications in court cases have determined that non-covered entities cannot even ask about such matters to engage in public access. Granted, I have been out of that world of needing to know these things for 10 years now; but, I was hip (pun intended) deep in that stuff back then and since it was passed in the 90's, I doubt that much has changed. Parts of HIPAA that were covered in those court cases were specifically to keep private entities from access to your medical records to prevent discrimination based on your medical condition.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
From that article.

"The effort has gained momentum amid President Biden’s pledge that the nation will start to regain normalcy this summer and with a growing number of companies — from cruise lines to sports teams — saying they will require proof of vaccination before opening their doors again."

If a private business requires a person have one to enter, is that not up to them? And if you don't want a passport-your choice-just don't complain a business blocks your access.
With the variety of highly effective vaccines now available why would a vaccine passport be needed ? Makes no medical sense to require one, so why ?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Would that not make it perfectly legal if the local Cosco were to use or sell you name, address and any other personal information on your vaccination card for marketing purposes?
Depends on how they obtained the information. And don't confuse "personally identifiable information" aka PII, with medical information. Release of PII is covered under other bits of regulation and how, who, when, why, etc. Many of the various regulations trip over each other, then add in each state can also place restrictions covering various circumstances and entities it can get quite complex.

I don't believe you are correct in your HIPAA characterization. HIPAA covers precisely what "covered entities" can do with your information. Subsequent clarifications in court cases have determined that non-covered entities cannot even ask about such matters to engage in public access. Granted, I have been out of that world of needing to know these things for 10 years now; but, I was hip (pun intended) deep in that stuff back then and since it was passed in the 90's, I doubt that much has changed. Parts of HIPAA that were covered in those court cases were specifically to keep private entities from access to your medical records to prevent discrimination based on your medical condition.
I too have been quite involved in HIPAA compliance, as well as ADA compliance, and PII compliance so take that for whatever value you want to place on it. The restrictions aren't so much that the non-covered entities can't ask for it, it is that the covered entities can't release it without the patient's written authorization, that is the reasoning behind judicial judgements. It is the ADA protections that ensure individuals aren't asked for medical information and by extension justifications for accommodations. It was the ADA protections that were abused so blatantly that allowed "fake" emotional support animals to be taken virtually everywhere and how we found people trying to take emotional support peacocks onto airplanes, and emotional support geckos into dorm rooms, and emotional support turkeys into apartment buildings.

eta: Almost forgot, I'm versed in FERPA requirements as well. And this is relevant because medical records requested and maintained by schools is covered under FERPA not HIPAA

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
That info isn’t on the vaccine card. Only name and date of birth, which of course your license has if you’re asked to prove your identity to buy liquor or write a check.

·
Administrator
19,875 Posts
That info isn’t on the vaccine card. Only name and date of birth, which of course your license has if you’re asked to prove your identity to buy liquor or write a check.
It will be interesting to see how it's handled in Canada. My province is talking about putting our health care number on our license and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'd be pretty excited if I got carded but I don't know of anyplace in town actually accepts cheques anymore.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It may surprise you to know that HT is not US owned.
The answer is the same. Time changes, situations change, location is just a location. Have seen many changes in Canada as well, and they are disagred upon as well. History truely does seem to repeat itself, and that is all over the world. In the book/play/movie of "12 Angry Men" one of the key things brought up by a person of the jury was how many times we hear the phrase "kill him. In 1957 this was said at baseball game, boxing matches and many other places. Today, well not so. Freedoms change and sementics still play a vital roll.

·
Registered
34,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Expect to show some sort of proof — either of a negative test or of vaccination — when traveling. “You should be planning on showing your negative test or staying home if you don’t have one,” Tariro says.​
The European Union, for example, has announced plans for the Digital Green Certificate, a so-called vaccine passport that countries can use to verify a person’s health status and allow free travel across the bloc.​

the development of a vaccine passport in the U.S. to the private sector. At least 17 initiatives are underway, The Washington Post reported.

In Britain, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that vaccine passports would “definitely” play a role in the future for international travel. China has already introduced its own digital certificate, which shows a person’s vaccine and testing history, and South Korea recently announced it would issue vaccine passports to immunized citizens using a mobile app.

In Israel, a possible vision of the postpandemic future is on display. More than half of Israelis have received both vaccine shots, and cases have dropped by 90 percent. The economy has reopened with help from a “Green Pass,” an entry ticket to society. The pass isn’t being widely used for international travel — Israel is still closed to foreign visitors out of fear of variants — but it offers access to restaurants, concerts and more.

·
Registered
906 Posts
From that article.

"The effort has gained momentum amid President Biden’s pledge that the nation will start to regain normalcy this summer and with a growing number of companies — from cruise lines to sports teams — saying they will require proof of vaccination before opening their doors again."

If a private business requires a person have one to enter, is that not up to them? And if you don't want a passport-your choice-just don't complain a business blocks your access.
I'm guessing that it's only vaccinated people taking the position that everyone needs to show their vaccination papers in order to walk, talk, enjoy life as they always have or to engage in business freely. Can someone explain why are vaccinated people so terrified of a virus, at the same time their argument as to why they insist on everyone else taking it is because the vaccine is so effective?

·
Registered
34,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Can someone explain why are vaccinated people are so terrified of a virus, at the same time their argument as to why they insist on everyone else taking it is because the vaccine is so effective?
Excellent question

Reactions: Riverdale

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm guessing that it's only vaccinated people taking the position that everyone needs to show their vaccination papers in order to walk, talk, enjoy life as they always have or to engage in business freely. Can someone explain why are vaccinated people so terrified of a virus, at the same time their argument as to why they insist on everyone else taking it is because the vaccine is so effective?
I'm vaccinated, not terrified of the virus, and I don't give a rat's ass if you get the shot or not.

·
Registered
34,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'm vaccinated, not terrified of the virus, and I don't give a rat's ass if you get the shot or not.
Thank you for your most eloquent response

Reactions: mreynolds
41 - 60 of 185 Posts