Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are doing our own vaccines this year, should we do the 5 way or the 7 way? I don't think the dogs got the lepto part when they went to the vet...all are current on rabies, which in our state has to be done at the vets...but before I give the shots I would like to hear from someone who can advise us..thanks genna

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Lepto initially requires 2 vaccinations given 3 weeks apart to be effective, so if the dogs haven't had it before I wouldn't bother unless you give them a second vaccation in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is a long article, but it will give you a great idea about what vaccines *your* dogs need, given the situation you intend to keep them in. If they are just housepets, dogs don't need to be vaccinated annually. (except for keeping rabies current by law) Over vaccination is just as dangerous as undervaccination.

http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06Revised.pdf

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Personally, I do not give combo vaccines at all. I give puppy series (high titer parvo at 4-5 weeks, high titer distemper the following week, then repeat 3 weeks later, and 3 weeks after that). Rabies is given at 6 months (if I can get away with it till then- supposed to vaccinate at 4 mo here now). I then vaccinate for parvo only at 1 yr 4 mo., rabies at 1 yr 6 mo....then every 3 yrs for both parvo and rabies. After 7 yrs old, I stop vaccinating. The reason I vaccinate every 3 yrs is that studies have shown that vaccines last between 3- life after puppy series, the figures were much higher after the 1 yr boosters, so I still give that (which reminds me, my pups due). I do not give distemper once they are over a year as the mortality/serious illness is limited to mostly young pups. I never vaccinate for lepto as that is the vaccine that is usually responsible for vaccine reactions and is only protective to a handful of the many, many strains that are out there. To me it is not worth the risk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts