Homesteading Forum banner

Do you vaccinate your horses?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'll jump straight into my question.
Do y'all vaccinate your horses? And if you do, what do you vaccinate them for?
I have an 8 year old Tennessee Walker and a 2 year old miniature horse. I've not owned a horse since the 90's, and I honestly can't remember if we vaccinated him or not. I want to make sure I keep them both healthy, but there's just so much information out there that I can't make heads or tails about it.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If my vet recommended FREE vaccinations, his opinion might be worthy of consideration.

Adult Horse Vaccination Chart - Horse.com Four vaccines recommended- tetanus, rabies (have you EVER heard of a horse getting either disease (and remember, most horses don't get vaccinated) ?

West Nile & Eastern Equine Encephalitis viruses are mosquito borne and very rare. If you don't live where there's many mosquitos, no need for vac....If you own maybe Clever Hans the horse that could do arithmetic or a very valuable stud like Man O' War, maybe it's worth the couple bucks.

PS/ I just noticed on the Poll--there's a key to "change vote." Are we to assume this poll is being run by Dominion Voting Services? :)

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Different areas of the country - different vaccinations.

Reactions: G. Seddon

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Strangles is also recommended.

I do know of a foal that developed rabies. The baby was in a stall with the mare and was bitten by a rabid racoon.

Most of the others I never saw but that's due to the animals on the farm being vaccinated against all the virus' listed.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,491 Posts
50,000 people die of rabies every year. Not much in the US because we do a good job of vaccinating pets. There is no cure, they all die once infected. Strangles is uncommon, but often deadly. The viruses spread by mosquitoes is not common, but often deadly.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,491 Posts
"If you don't live where there's many mosquitoes, no need for vaccination" is a lot like saying if you don't have sex with many strange woman, you never need a condom.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Strangles isn't as rare you might think, haypoint. A farm had a breakout where the animals weren't as heavily covered. Even though my mare was vaccinated she got it. The thinking is that one of the people from the other farm brought the disease with them. She recovered fine and was more than ready to get out of her isolation stall.

·
Premium Member
21,721 Posts
If my vet recommended FREE vaccinations, his opinion might be worthy of consideration.

Adult Horse Vaccination Chart - Horse.com Four vaccines recommended- tetanus, rabies (have you EVER heard of a horse getting either disease (and remember, most horses don't get vaccinated) ?

West Nile & Eastern Equine Encephalitis viruses are mosquito borne and very rare. If you don't live where there's many mosquitos, no need for vac....If you own maybe Clever Hans the horse that could do arithmetic or a very valuable stud like Man O' War, maybe it's worth the couple bucks.

PS/ I just noticed on the Poll--there's a key to "change vote." Are we to assume this poll is being run by Dominion Voting Services? :)
yes, I have. I knew of a foal in Indiana that died from tetanus and a horse in Virginia that had the furious form of rabies.

·
Premium Member
21,721 Posts
Are you vaccinated against cholera?...Why not?
I haven’t heard of any cases of cholera in my area. Have you?
I have however heard of West Nile outbreaks in states with low mosquito population. So people vaccinate. It may be an excess of caution but if they love their horse or have a lot of money invested in it, they do it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I haven’t heard of any cases of cholera in my area. Have you?
I have however heard of West Nile outbreaks in states with low mosquito population. So people vaccinate. It may be an excess of caution but if they love their horse or have a lot of money invested in it, they do it.
My point is that we're always evaluating risks vs benefit-- for cholera the benefit would be huge if a vax saved your life, but the risk is so low that it doesn't make sense to get the vax as a matter of routine....We can make the same argument about routine vax of horses-- the risk is generally so low that we can justify NOT getting them.

As for West Nile specifically, you don't get bit by mosquitos on a state-wide basis. It's all local. Even at the height of the "epidemic" 20 yrs ago, the risk was pretty low.

Re: earlier comments about rabies-- there are 9 million horses in the US and about 25 cases reported each year. Risk vs benefit. You make your own call.

·
Premium Member
21,721 Posts
Well for me, the risk of losing a house I love is high enough to justify the cost of a West Nile vaccine.
We don’t do rabies out here...the risk is very low.
Nor do we give our dogs heartworm preventative (on our vets advice) because we just don’t have the problem. But if my trusted vet advises me to do a certain shot, I generally do it. That’s why I have good vets for my animals.
Are you a vet?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Hello. I'll jump straight into my question.
Do y'all vaccinate your horses? And if you do, what do you vaccinate them for?
I have an 8 year old Tennessee Walker and a 2 year old miniature horse. I've not owned a horse since the 90's, and I honestly can't remember if we vaccinated him or not. I want to make sure I keep them both healthy, but there's just so much information out there that I can't make heads or tails about it.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! View attachment 94099
Call your county extension agent, or Brand Inspector. The requirements will vary by location. Your vet would know but might charge for the info. We do vaccinate our animals, but we order everything from Valley Vet, and give the vaccines ourselves.

If you haul your horses out of state, or even just off your property it may be required. I haul across state lines all of the time, and am required to have a health inspection certificate, and shot record with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts