Homesteading Forum banner

Do you vaccinate your horses?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'll jump straight into my question.
Do y'all vaccinate your horses? And if you do, what do you vaccinate them for?
I have an 8 year old Tennessee Walker and a 2 year old miniature horse. I've not owned a horse since the 90's, and I honestly can't remember if we vaccinated him or not. I want to make sure I keep them both healthy, but there's just so much information out there that I can't make heads or tails about it.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If my vet recommended FREE vaccinations, his opinion might be worthy of consideration.

Adult Horse Vaccination Chart - Horse.com Four vaccines recommended- tetanus, rabies (have you EVER heard of a horse getting either disease (and remember, most horses don't get vaccinated) ?

West Nile & Eastern Equine Encephalitis viruses are mosquito borne and very rare. If you don't live where there's many mosquitos, no need for vac....If you own maybe Clever Hans the horse that could do arithmetic or a very valuable stud like Man O' War, maybe it's worth the couple bucks.

PS/ I just noticed on the Poll--there's a key to "change vote." Are we to assume this poll is being run by Dominion Voting Services? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts