Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm have still born issues with my litters. I have heard that I need to be vaccinating my sows and that that would help. Does this sound correct. If so would you share your vaccination procedure and what kinds you us. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Yes, it may well help as there are several reproductive related diseases that can be easily vaccinated against. We use the following vaccines with the pigs:

Pavro Shield L5E 7
Parapleuro Shield P+BE 8
Prefarrow Shield 9 (breeders)
CircoFlex (piglets)

Sometimes we use FarrowSureGoldB instead but in the last couple of years have used the above. They both do the job.

These are things you can get without a vet prescription. Around here vets don't have a lot of experience treating pigs as there isn't a lot of call for it. A good source is Jefferslivestock.com They have the data sheets online for vaccines and are quite helpful. There are other vendors, of course. I just happen to use Jeffers mostly.

What you'll need may vary with location - check with your state department of agriculture to see if there are any special issues in your area.

Check your soil for iron and selenium. If low, or even if you just want to, use kelp meal. That helps with gestating sows and piglets in particular. Our soil has good minerals but the soils where our winter hay comes from are low in selenium. Took me a while to figure this out. Here's a good source of kelp:

http://www.noamkelp.com/

Also see:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2012/03/24/mineral-deficiencies/

Cheers,

-Walter Jeffries
Sugar Mountain Farm
Pastured Pigs, Sheep & Kids
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I have been connected with local vets for 25+ years in my area but mostly for horses. I have a friend whose husband was primarily a cow doc (we live in dairy country) but now venturing into other farm animals including pigs. I will be calling him in the morning as I want to have a local vet that I can call if I have a problem. I have not found any other vet in the area even interested in pigs. I will consult with him about vaccines for our area but I am pretty sure I will have to order the vaccines on-line. From what I've read, they need to ship fed-ex so they do not warm up and can get refrigerated asap.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Here is the vaccination protocol suggested by one of the veterinary clinics I work with here in Indiana. It is targeted for show pig farmers but is applicable to other pig farms.

Sows and Gilts PRRS/Flu/Circo Quarterly/Every 3 months
Sows-PreBreed Parvo/Lepto/Ery At least 2 weeks before breeding
Gilts- PreBreed Parvo/Lepto/Ery 2 Vac/ 2 weeks apart/ 2 weeks before breeding
Gilts- PreBreed Ivomec 1% Pre-Breed Worm and Mange control
Sows and Gilts E coli/Past/Bord/Ery Approx 5 and 2 weeks pre-farrow
Sows and Gilts Ivomec 1% Mange/Worms 5-10 days before farrowing

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Vaccine arrived today after it was ordered just yesterday! It was all packed nicely in ice packs. Really surprised how fast it came. My vet ordered it and it was $25 cheaper than I could l have gotten on-line. He probably gave me his discount. The minimum dose is a 50 dose bottle but with good hygiene, he said I can use it several times before expiration date (which is 2016). It's the FarrowSureGold

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Nancy! I'm gonna try and get my hands on some of that. My duroc sow had 11. Two where still born one wa a mummy. But on a good note my berkshire sow had 8 all alive but she sqweshed one and wouldn't you know it it was a gilt! Now the cold weather has moved in now I heard one of my little one coughing today so that's probably not a good sign. It's awfully cold awfully early.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are your pigs pure or mixed? I was told that because of inbreeding (to keep rare breeds purebred) stillborns are more common. We have Large Blacks and all four of our litters had at least one stillborn. 1of a litter of 8, then 2 of a litter of 4, 3 of 13, and 3 of 10. I'd like to know if the vaccines help! If you use them let us know about the next litters please :)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Jennifer - not sure if your post was directed at me - but; we are not breeding for pure rare breeds as I tend to believe in hybrid vigor by crossing non-related genes. We wanted to vaccinate to prevent abortions that are common to all breeds. Our grand experiment will play out- hopefully - next spring depending upon whether our small boar can reach......I may need to post an x-rated video.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warmed back up today and I heard no coughing. Thank goodness. Diffenutly gonna order farrowshuregoldB tho for next breeding cycle.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I'm have still born issues with my litters. I have heard that I need to be vaccinating my sows and that that would help. Does this sound correct. If so would you share your vaccination procedure and what kinds you us. Thanks.
http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/234/the-stillborn-pig

Many things can cause still born. Link above show just a few.

Guess i am lucky. Most of my sows don't have any still born. One of ten of my sows will have one or two still born. Most have been when temp. is very hot or very cold.

Best,
Gerold.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Fortunately there are quite a few new PEDv vaccines available or in the pipeline coming up for approval and they're learning a lot about it. Since the big commercial farms got hit so hard there is a lot of incentive to solve this problem. In the mean time, use good biosecurity.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have not given any shots yet to my pigs, but I'm thinking I should start with FarrowSure Gold B. The question is, when should I start? Two of my gilts are bred and due April 28th. Should I start now, or wait till after they farrow?

Also, Does the 2mL apply to any size pig?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I had some miscarriages in some gilts that I linked to late gestation vaccination so I am now hesitate to vaccinate then.

The mL thing is very bizarre. The recommend the same vaccine amount for a 50 lb pig and a 800 lb pig. Seems totally illogical to me. I have yet to find any rationality to their spec.

-Walter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts